Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

No start after tune-up

Old 10-24-2018, 08:41 PM
Default No start after tune-up

OK....so this may start off sounding like an eye rolling description...but I'm a little stumped. 2000 Sebring (Conv) JX required tune-up to pass (Ohio) e-check; replaced plugs, wires, ignition rotor, and distributor. Car started fine, drove car about 8-9 miles to e-check station, car was running during e-check, left e-check station and about 200 yards later I start to lose power (no acceleration), then dash lights are on/off, then car just stalls.

Now the car will crank all day but will not start. There's plenty of fuel and there is a fuel line disconnect on the passenger side of the engine compartment and when I disconnect that, fuel *sprays* out of there...so I'm pretty sure the fuel system is working fine, So of course, go back to what changed last....and it would seem (to me) to be either rotor related or distributor related, but...how does the car run *FINE* for 8-9 miles, then conk out? It was running fantastic for those few miles, meaning it wasn't mis-firing (as though I replaced wires incorrectly) or running rough at all. It was running great. so I have removed the distributor hoping to find a damaged rotor but that's intact, and the distributor cap looks fine as well.

So I'm a bit stumped as to where to look next. I don't mind disassembling the intake manifold, and other pieces to essentially do the job again but...what am I missing?

--maxnpj

Old 10-25-2018, 07:53 AM

2.5 l V6 ? WHAT dash lights going on/off ? IF the 2.5...check wire harness connector to the distributor, especially at the connector for corroded/broken wire. Could also be the pick up or coil inside the dist. body went bad. GOOD LUCK

Old 10-25-2018, 01:57 PM

I don't know if this is relevant, but we have found that Chinese made rotors seem to fail for no apparent reason. You would think that a rotor is such a low-tech thing that it should never fail, but for some reason, they just fail all of a sudden without explanation.

Old 10-25-2018, 03:59 PM

REBEL59 - 2.5L V6...sorry about that...probably pertinent info......

Old 10-25-2018, 04:00 PM

2.5L V6, sorry about that.....probably pertinent info....

Old 10-25-2018, 04:02 PM

REBEL59 - While driving, and while it was starting to stall, the "SERVICE ENGINE" and the low oil indicator....then all of the dash lights came on once it stalled.

Old 10-25-2018, 05:48 PM

Yup, there is a type of resister buried in the rotor, between the center and plug end. They are known to fail there, happens on many older distributor cars not just MOPARS. If not that then what I posted before , OR the ASD relay failed.

Old 10-31-2018, 05:45 PM

If the ASD fails while driving, will the engine stop running right then? or would it keep running but fail to start the next time?

Thanks for the advice/assistance

Old 10-31-2018, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator

I would bank on teh remain distributor get a spark checker and see if you have spark get a scanner see if something dumb like crank sensor failed.

Old 11-04-2018, 11:58 AM
Unhappy

Originally Posted by dcotter0579 View Post
I don't know if this is relevant, but we have found that Chinese made rotors seem to fail for no apparent reason. You would think that a rotor is such a low-tech thing that it should never fail, but for some reason, they just fail all of a sudden without explanation.
Hi Dear,
i'm also victim of same problem. it's a pain full issue as without exact reason problem happened within this.

didn't deserve it! !!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: No start after tune-up

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.