Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

oil leak!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 11:26 AM
Question oil leak!!!!!

so i was leaven work yesterday and as i was backing out i noticed that where my car was parked was wet with what looked like oil... so on the way home my car starts to over heat... when i got home i checked my oil and coolent... wouldnt u know all my oil was gone and i was running low on coolent, it took a whole gal to fill it back up... would low oil conditions cause my car to over heat???? it looks like my car was leaking oil from the oil filter.... i planed on jacking my car up this weekend to see where else oil might of been leaking from.... let me know what u guys think???

Old 05-07-2013, 03:57 PM

Running a car when all the oil is gone may not make it over heat, but is very likely to ruin some engine bearings and cause a lot of damage. Running a car a gallon low on coolant is quite likely to make it overheat. If you haven't fried that engine it'll be a miracle.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:57 PM
Exclamation

It's still running but I parked it until I can have my shop look at it... I'm just trying to figure out where the oil could of leaked out from... Any clues???

Old 05-07-2013, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator

your the only one that can do anything about an oil leak get under there and look.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:24 AM
Question

yeah i looked and i see a lil bit of oil dripping off of my block right above the crank shaft pully. and then i seen oil coming from where my oil filter is attachted to the motor... can this be a failed oil filter seal maybe....?????

Old 05-08-2013, 02:04 PM

If the leak is from right at the top of the filter itself, then yes, the gasket on the filter has failed. It could be that the filter wasn't screwed on tight enough. It could be that it was screwed on too tight. It could be that whoever installed it didn't lubricate it first with clean engine oil and the gasket wrinkled a little bit. Those would be installation failures rather than part failures. If the leak is enough to explain the complete loss of oil from the car, then by all means buy and properly install a new filter.
As for the leak above the crank pulley, keep in mind that gravity always results in drips travelling down. Look above the point where you see the oil and try to figure out where it's coming from. You'll then need to decide whether that leak is bad enough to justify tearing apart things in that area to try to fix it.

Old 05-08-2013, 02:32 PM

another filter possibility is that the old gasket was stuck to the block when the new filter was screwed in place.... 2 gaskets do Not make a better seal.

Old 05-08-2013, 03:24 PM

im really hoping that thats all it is and not something more expensive you know???? so keep ur fingers crossed for me... @ thunder craft two seals also popped into my head as well.... i ll be sure to let u guys know what my findings are later this week... it sucks because by the time i get out of work the shop will be closed so i ll have to wait untill saturday...

Old 05-08-2013, 08:47 PM

Well guys da verdict is in... It's worst than I thought... Shop said it could be a different number of things... Valve cover gasket head gasket and oil pan gasket... And my trannies leaking too... Ain't this about a b..... If its the valve cover gasket I can do those my self but the oil pan or head gaskets I can't do... And that's gonna cost me... What should I do....????

Old 05-08-2013, 09:15 PM

check to see if the oil pressure is there close to the filter. and yes you can do the oil pan gasket. it comes with guides to hold the gasket in place till you get it in place. it is very uncommon for head gaskets to leak oil. as far as the coolant leak look at the water pump. don't panic just screw your head on right and look around. you tube has many videos on these cars/vans.

Quick Reply: oil leak!!!!!