Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

P0073 and No A/C

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 01:28 PM
Question P0073 and No A/C

New member here and I am stumped. I have been researching an issue for days now and I hope that be reaching out the great folks here can help. Here is the situation. 2008 Chrysler Sebring Touring Convertible, 2.7 Flex. On a long drive a week ago, the engine light came on and the A/C stopped working. The car drove fine and no other issues were noted, so we drove home. The local parts store ran the code and came up with P0073. The notes on the printout said that results of this code are a sensor failure and the possible malfunction of the A/C. Bingo! Easy, breezy. The fix for them was a new ambient air temperature sensor and they said it was located on the drivers side near the front fog light. (Which my vehicle does not have.) Anyway, I get home and start looking for this sensor. The trustworthy internet puts this sensor in about 50 different places. After about 3 hours, my wife, (of course it had to be her) was looking through the slats on the pax side where a fog light would be on some models and says, "What is this?" Of course it was exactly what I was looking for. It had the exact same sensor that I had bought. One thing of note, it was dangling down at the end of its cable not secured to anything. Before I move forward it is important to note that the exterior temperature reading in the dash was working and accurate. This is the part where I make things worse... I replaced the sensor with the new one and zip tied it to a secure nearby piece of support. So expecting all to be well, I start up the car. Not only is it still showing the code after a reset and the A/C not working but now the dash temp readout shows "---". So thinking I had a bad sensor, I put back in the original one and the dash still shows "---" and the A/C doesn't work. Many posts online reference the temp sensor in the air intake tube coming from the filter box as being the cause of a P0073, others say it is the ambient sensor, like the one I changed, that is the cause. I am sorry about the long first post, but I am at a loss here. Any help is appreciated.

Old 12-09-2015, 10:08 PM

see if this helps:

https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/...-sensor-10684/

Check for voltages and wiring problems in the circuit.

Old 12-10-2015, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by dcotter0579
see if this helps:

https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/...-sensor-10684/

Check for voltages and wiring problems in the circuit.

I read this one early on, which added to my confusion as to which sensor this code refers to.

Old 12-10-2015, 03:50 PM

Not really familiar with the 2008, but I searched chryslerparts.net for "sensor" and it came up with both an ambient air temperature sensor and an intake air temperature sensor. The ambient air temperature sensor seem so be part of the Automatic Temperature Control system, and it would make sense that it's related to your non-functioning A/C. The intake air temperature sensor is part of the engine control system and it would be logical that it would be located right in the air intake for the engine.
All that being said, you might want to check the wiring for either or both sensors and see if there is a reason for excessively high voltage in the circuit. Generally, sensor circuits like that run at 5 volts, so if you find a reading like 12 volts, then you're going to have to find out why that's there.