Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

problems with theft deterrent system & roof??

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2005, 11:11 AM
Default problems with theft deterrent system & roof??

I just got my 2000 Sebring convertible back after 6 weeks in the shop. It stopped running one day so I had it towed to a shop, and they said it was the theft deterrent system. It wasn't recognizing my keys, which were the original keys, and was shutting down. They "fixed" it for about a day, then it did it again. So they towed it back and after a few days, threw up their hands and said take it to the dealer. So they towed it there, and Chrysler said it was the BCM (?) box and the door latches needed replaced and something else. Total cost $1300.00. So I said too much and had it towed to another guy that could do it for about half the price. Chrysler left it torn apart, I don't know if this is regular procedure but I dont' think it's very professional on their part. So, this guy that had it ordered the BCM part and after about a week, it arrived. And wouldn't you know it? That wasn't the part that was needed. He tried all kinds of things and finally figured it was the theft deterrent system, the whole thing was fried. It took forever to figure out.
So I had to have new keys made and programmed because my original keys were bad after that. But the trunk doesn't recognize the new key and the horn goes off if I use the key.
and THEN I tried to put the top down last night (I just got the car back Weds night) and it's totally dead. My question is, are these things somehow connected?? It's like I have no power or anything when I tried to make the top go down. And the roof button is connected to the windows somehow, and he worked on the door. So maybe something wasn't connected when he put it back together?
I don't know anything about cars except how to change the brake lights and windshield wiper blades (besides gas & oil)

If anyone has had this problem, I would love any help. Thanks, Susan

Old 12-04-2005, 05:49 PM
Default RE: problems with theft deterrent system & roof??

I just had that problem yesterday with my 2004...the windows and top stopped working. It was a blown fuse, they are all on the same fuse at least in the 2004.

Old 12-05-2005, 03:38 AM

sounds to me like you might have an electrical problem that might have also somehow gotten fried in the process of getting other things fixed...

Old 12-05-2005, 06:09 PM

i dont have a 2000, but my 98 is having similar problems and its a pain to fix.

Old 12-06-2005, 02:03 PM

ok, pay close attention. Your 2000 is one big series-parallel circuit. Which basically means, that if you have a short in your brake light, your starter wont turn over. You need to get the haynes or chilton manual for your car, and find everything that's on the circuit for your convertible top, and check every wire you can find. Chances are you have a grounded circuit somewhere. Do you know how to check for a ground? do that first, and see if you can find out if it's grounded, and if it's not, you may have a blown fuse, busted fuse box, or broken wire... let me know what happens... these cars have had so many electrical problems...