Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Relay Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 03:24 PM
Default Relay Problem?

My 2005 Sebring Sedan has begun to give me some problems and I'm looking for some help.

The problem began with me noticing that my digital readout below the speedometer started flashing or blinking of and on.

Then, the radio began to make a "pop" sound and would shut off and come back on repeatedly.

Seems the worse the flashing of the display, the more the radio pops off and on.

Today, the flashing started, and my red battery light came on. I had the alternator checked, it checked out OK.

Upon restarting the car, the battery light was no longer on. I drive about 15 minutes, the battery light comes on, I shut the car off and when I tried to restart, it was completely dead. No lights, no door dinger, nothing, won't start, click, totally dead.

I open the hood, with the key in and the door open. I knock one time on the fuse and relay box, and I hear the door dinger dinging.

I get in, it starts right up.

20 minutes later, same thing, it won't start, everything is dead. I knock on the fuse and relay box, nothing. I sit for about 10 minutes, trying to find a mobile repair service, and all of a sudden, the door dinger starts dinging again, and it starts right up. Must have cooled off???

Anyway, I get back to the shop, shut it off, and it is now dead again.

Any idea which relay might be causing this issue, or could it be something besides a relay?

I'm in desperate need of help please.

Old 09-04-2008, 03:35 PM
Default RE: Relay Problem?

WIGGLE all connections under the hood and to each fuse& relay box and under the dash with key on to see if you loose power look in service manual

Start by looking at all the fuses anre they pushed in properly

If you suspect a realy they are kiNDa marked as to what theya re for on the cover,'
Many are the same switch the ones that are the same to rule out relays and see if a different cirucut all of sudden starts acting up ( Possibly becasue you swapped relay )

a lose connectionis a possibilty a bad solder connection joint on a logic board it's going to be a trail and error hunt for the culprit...UNLESS someone had something like it and pipes up

Old 09-05-2008, 08:54 AM
Default RE: Relay Problem?

Disconnecting each and every plug and relay, inspecting for moisture and dielectric grease, and ensuring complete sealing and latching upon reassembly, MAY resolve the issue. Sadly, this includes under-hood, AND under-dash. A tedious process.

As many systems as are affected on your vehicle indicates to me that one or more of your major components has an issue. Check for mounting grounds as well, especially the negative battery grounds to the block and chassis, and the PCM mounts etc.

I do suggest that you start with the gauge cluster connector, then under the hood with the grounds first, followed by the connections at the major components. Those are the more likely.

This is all assuming the gauge cluster is intact and operable. If there is an actual suspect part, as opposed to a connection, that is it.