Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Removing cigarette lighter-help

Old 07-12-2014, 06:41 PM
Default Removing cigarette lighter-help

Hi Everyone,

I have a 2004 Sebring lx. I am trying to replace my cigarette lighter which isn't working. It's not the fuse.

I can't figure out what panel to remove and how to remove it?

I can remove the panel that has the radio but I can't figure out how to get to the back of the lighter which is below.

Help please?

Thank you.

Old 07-12-2014, 07:11 PM

Here are soem photos. I can't get to the cigi lighter.

Name:  Panel3_zps877af259.jpg
Views: 9251
Size:  138.2 KB

Name:  Panel1_zps3a3184fb.jpg
Views: 8120
Size:  102.5 KB

Old 07-12-2014, 09:21 PM

You're not going to like this answer. That piece where the lighter is located is called the forward console. To remove it, you need to remove the center console (where the shifter and storage compartment are located.)

There's a detailed set of instructions in the Haynes manual if you're still interested. Spend 25 bucks on a manual and read through the relevant sections. Then you can decide if you want to go through the hassle.

The socket is a very simple thing and usually doesn't fail. Make sure the problem is there before you take on the project.

Old 07-12-2014, 09:31 PM

Damn!

I very much appreciate your response.

Thank you.

Old 07-12-2014, 09:34 PM

I checked the fuse. It's okay.

Any other suggestion what I can do to troubleshoot this problem?

I appreciate your assistance.

Old 07-13-2014, 05:55 PM

Are you saying the lighter does not work or is the socket dead? The lighter may need replacement if it's the lighter that isn't working. They are cheap and easy to find.
If the socket is dead, then look for a wiring problem between the socket and the fusebox.

Old 07-13-2014, 07:31 PM

I don't know.

What's the difference between the lighter and the socket?

It's not providing juice for charging.

The lighter may need replacement, but you seem to be saying it's a difficult job to replace it because it's so hard to get to. Is that correct?

Old 07-14-2014, 02:45 PM

The lighter is the thing that fits in the socket. You press it, it gets hot and pops out, then you can use it to light a cigarette. That's why they call it a "cigarette lighter".

The socket is the receptacle that the lighter fits into. You can plug different things besides a lighter into the socket, like a phone charger or your GPS.

If the socket is not providing "juice for charging", then there's something wrong. But the socket itself is a very simple thing, just a metal cylinder connected to ground with a positive terminal at the bottom connected to 12 volts. It has no moving parts and is not likely to fail. It's like a socket in the wall at home, but even less complicated.

Get an electrical tester and test to be sure you don't have 12 volts at the center of the bottom of the socket. If you don't have 12 volts there, then you've got to figure out why not. The problem is more likely to be elsewhere than right at the socket itself.

Old 09-06-2014, 09:46 PM

SOMETIMES you can (you won't get shocked) put a finger in there and rotate the inner assembly; turn it counter-clockwise and you'll UN screw the center section of the 2 piece assembly, Now the inner section should cone free and on out of there; the outer shell of the lighter should be loose in there. Make sure there is a wire connected to the center of it (in the back) and there might be a ground (black) wire on the bottom or side of the shell. Make sure it's properly connected with your NEW cigarette lighter from any wal mart screw the new center assembly back in. You'll have to McGuyver some of this but I have done it.

Old 04-08-2016, 07:35 PM
Default Replace lighter socket on 2001 sebring lx

I have seen the fuse answers But I believe my socket has been screwed and retrieved too many times. I would love to know how to get at the back of the socket to see if the wires are connected. All the fuses seem to be okay and even if the socket is bad I would still have to get at the back. It appears that one dash panel needs to come off as well as panel/panels on the console need to come off. This would give me side access. I have replaced the radio twice and can easily remove it but there is no access that way unless I cut a square out of the panel on top of the lighter socket. Is there a way otherwise too pull the socket all the way out to check the wires? Unbelievable cluster f*** for such a minor problem. A video would be great but doubt there is one. I know its a difficult job but ant help would be appreciated

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Removing cigarette lighter-help