Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Replaced 3.0L now cam and crank codes

Old 02-11-2011, 02:46 PM
Default Replaced 3.0L now cam and crank codes

Bought a 2002 sebring coupe with a bad 3.0L motor and replaced with a junkyard motor out of an '01 stratus coupe. Engine runs and drives great but sets a P0335 and P0340 cam and crank sensor signal codes. I swapped both the cam and crank sensors out of the old motor with no success. Has a brand new timing belt and water pump. Checked timing twice. Have power ground and 5v reference at both sensors. Owner of the car previously said he never had any check engine light. Scanned the vehicle with a DRBIII and the crank signal parameter is NO. There is a bulletin for two diffrent part numbers for the crank sensor but both the sensors for the motors have matching numbers.

Any ideas would be great, thanks

Nate

Old 02-11-2011, 02:54 PM
Super Moderator

if U have access to a DRB then let the person that owns that DRB to look at it for you

a DRB is something that u just dont buy for the fun of it.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:17 PM

For being a Chrysler tech and super moderator it would be nice if you could at least comment on the question at hand. Like anyone on here I am looking for help so I don't have to pay someone else. I have consulted with two chrysler techs and have run out of ideas. If you think i am using the DRB in an incorrect manner then help would be greatly appreciated on what to look for.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator

if U have talked to 2 techs that are there and can look at it with a DRB then either A they dont know what they are doing or B its really f ed up and in that case nothing me telling u online will do any good because this is something real strange and will take some time to figure out and more then likely cost u some money.

I cant teach u how to use a DRB over night it took most of us that use them years to really know what u are looking at as far as values and reading when an engine is doing certain things. This is experience

From what U have said I would bank on one of 2 things u put the wrong motor in it based of the computer U have or timing is not correct.

Old 02-12-2011, 11:09 AM

I have seven years GM service experience and use a tech2 daily so I have an idea of what to look for but yes there are differences in the data lists and I posted that parameter to just try to give as much info as possible.

The though about it being the wrong motor which is part of why i post here because nobody i have talked to knows much about if that is a possibility. I know there are 2 different crank sensor but have not heard if there are two different versions that will bolt in and look right or how to tell the difference.

The Chrysler techs tell me Mitsubishi may be more help then a Chrysler dealer.

Myself and another tech both checked the timing separate a cant see any issues. I dunno my have to check once more anyway.

Thanks for your input, I know very little about this car setup its far from my bread and butter.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:13 PM
Default cam and crank sensor

I don't know what a drb is but my 06 pacifica is setting at a chrysler/dodge dealership with both of these sensors replaced and still getting check engine light. they want to go in and check timing belt out next. I'm already $270.00 into replacing both sensors and now they are saying another 4-5 hours labor to check timing belt but there is no garantee the problem is there. If not they say they have to pull transmition which would be another 5-7 hours labor. Again when code is cleared the car runs perfect for 5-10 miles. I found another discusion online where they were talking about these 2 sensors getting changed out and were saying you need to enter pcm and relearn cam and crank settings. I am not sure if they did this or not. I will find out monday morning. Is this true? I am new to this forum, so I don't know if I am replying correctly or if everyone will see this. Please advise.

Old 02-12-2011, 07:19 PM

Kole.....

Go back to the pacifica section, as I just answered your post there.......

The Chrysler techs tell me Mitsubishi may be more help then a Chrysler dealer.
In some cases, this is absolutely true....

From what U have said I would bank on one of 2 things u put the wrong motor in it based of the computer U have or timing is not correct.
Just a quick one.......What flywheel did you use The one from "THE CAR" or the one from the new Engine.....

Old 02-12-2011, 08:13 PM

OP, The Mistu manual reads like charcters on Sumerian tablets. Many times even the most seasoned Chrysler tech has issues deciphering it. The layout is jacked up.

Call a dealer and see if the part numbers on the distributor match for the year models. OR if you used the distributor off the junkyard engine there may be an issue with the pickup. Also the plate behind the crank sprocket that the crank sensor reads could be bent or misaligned. I doubt timing is messed up if you say it runs well. However, IF it is a little off you may perceive it runs well, but it's out. A dead giveaway usually is a vibration felt in higher RPMs like 2000 and up. Someone could see the cam/crank difference on the DRB data and know almost immediately either way. The two different types of sensors you are talking about are, as I remember, 12" and 18" pigtail. No difference in the rest of it.

That's the best I can do from here.

Last edited by TNtech; 02-12-2011 at 08:21 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:31 PM

What flywheel did you use The one from "THE CAR" or the one from the new Engine.....

OOPS.....I'll be alright in the morning....Why do I have 3.5 stuck in my head

My apologies.

Old 02-12-2011, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Djinn-n-Tonic

OOPS.....I'll be alright in the morning....Why do I have 3.5 stuck in my head

My apologies.

Yeah I know...those damn Mitsu cars. You have to change gears when you talk about them. Any other day I would have just played right along.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replaced 3.0L now cam and crank codes