Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Sebring 2.7L Fuel Mileage............

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 09:07 PM
Default Sebring 2.7L Fuel Mileage............

Would like to hear what kind of mileage you get on average with you 2.7L Sebring.

I purchased a 02 so I could park the "hungry, hungry hemi" Durango.
This Sebring is what the wife will have to run the roads in.
I'm hoping for mid 20s from this car. What are 'ya gett'in??

Old 01-25-2013, 09:08 AM

I get about 24 mpg out of my '01 convertible but that's mostly cruising along Lakeshore Drive at 35 mph on warm summer evenings. Not much freeway stuff, not much stop-and-go city driving. Very little winter driving and then only when the roads are dry.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:32 PM

My 2002 Sebring 2.7 got 26 MPG on a 300 mile trip which was about 90% at 70-75 MPH. Around town (much stop and go) about 16 MPG. In the northern Utah winter, this includes 5-10 minutes of morning warm up.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:31 AM

Well, we have been driving it off and on for a week now.
So for a mix of city and HWY driving we are getting 23 mpg.

I would have to say that is a win. The car drive drives fine but needs struts bad; rides pretty rough.
Engine has plenty of power and I know it was well maintained by looking at the internals.
A few rough edges; we get water in the driver side floor board when there is a heavy rain.
2, we have an issue with the power door locks. They will unlock; but not lock. With either the controls on the doors or with the remote.
Overall I'm very please since I paid $500 for the car and now have about $1500 in it.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:35 PM

I did struts on my '02 last year. Locating all the parts was a chore. Nobody carries everything that you need except the dealer. I wound up buying parts from various sources but the upper and lower spring seats came from the dealer.
There's a possible solution for the door lock problem. If you leave the key in the ignition switch, you cannot lock the doors with the power door lock. The idea is to prevent you from locking the keys in the car. There's a tiny probe within the ignition key slot that detects the presence of the key. If yours is stuck, it might be why you can't lock the doors. The car thinks you have left the key in the ignition. Try puting a drop of WD-40 on the end of the key and working it in and out and around. You might free up that probe if you're lucky.
Make sure the condensate drain is clear. It's a black tube that comes through the firewall into the engine compartment, makes a 90° turn down and just ends. If it's plugged, you will have water in the HVAC plenum. Small leaves and bugs and crap like that can get in there.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by dcotter0579
I did struts on my '02 last year. Locating all the parts was a chore. Nobody carries everything that you need except the dealer. I wound up buying parts from various sources but the upper and lower spring seats came from the dealer.
There's a possible solution for the door lock problem. If you leave the key in the ignition switch, you cannot lock the doors with the power door lock. The idea is to prevent you from locking the keys in the car. There's a tiny probe within the ignition key slot that detects the presence of the key. If yours is stuck, it might be why you can't lock the doors. The car thinks you have left the key in the ignition. Try puting a drop of WD-40 on the end of the key and working it in and out and around. You might free up that probe if you're lucky.
Make sure the condensate drain is clear. It's a black tube that comes through the firewall into the engine compartment, makes a 90° turn down and just ends. If it's plugged, you will have water in the HVAC plenum. Small leaves and bugs and crap like that can get in there.
I usually buy my hard parts from RockAuto.com.
Good selection and beats the chain parts store on prices big time. And I mean half the price usually on a better quality parts.

The water in the floorboard issues is after it rains, not when using the AC. But after a good hard rain there will be an inch of two of standing water in the driver floor pan.
I had the cover off the plenum area when I had the engine out. I cleaned it out real well with compressed air but there was not that much build up in it. I read the drain tube from the power moon roof can clog and leak into the floor board.
Need to give the interior a good scrub anyway and will explore some of this.
I will try the suggestion on the ignition key.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:26 PM

Yeah, I get a lot of stuff from Rock Auto too. But they don't sell the spring seats. The old ones were very compressed and not usable. I can't imagine changing shocks and not putting in new spring seats. If there's a market for shocks there ought to be the same market for the spring seats.
Could you have pushed the crud down into the drain while cleaning out the cowl?
Moon roof drain is a possibility but you wouldn't think you'd get that much water in via that route.