Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Sebring 2005 Transmission slipping/bumping

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2023, 02:57 AM
Default Sebring 2005 Transmission slipping/bumping

Hi there everyone!
I bought a sebring 2005 roughly 1 year ago, when I got it the transmission fluid was pink and fresh in colour, even today the colour of hte fluid is fresh.
But it has always had some hissing sounds when accelerating at low speeds and sometimes it has the occasional "bump".
RPM never exceeds 2 before shifting though and on full gas the speed feels accurate, its mostly notable in ctiy traffic when shifting between lower gears constantly back and forth.

You guys think the transmission is about to give up, anyone have similiar issues? I have never owned a Sebring before and cant test how its supposed to shift therefore.
Thanks in advance

Old 05-11-2023, 09:38 AM

Color is not an indication of trans fluid condition. The dye used in atf+4 darkens over time and atf+4 has a distinctive machine oil smell (does not smell fresh).

I would suggest a transmission pan drop, filter replaced, and refill with licensed atf+4. These transmissions like fresh atf+4 and has been known to improve shift quality. When the pan is dropped, a fuzzy magnet is ok as is a gray/sliver slime on the pan. Chunks of metal are not good. The service fill for these trans is about 4.5 qts.

A machine flush is not advised as it does nothing for the filter and any chemicals used in the flush can damage the trans. Refill with licensed atf+4 only that meets ms-9602 - no universal fluids, no additives. Walmart supertech atf+4 meets this spec and is the least expensive I have found.

Old 05-11-2023, 07:52 PM

check all 3 of your mounts as well.
wife's sebring liked to CLUNK, especially going into reverse. passenger engine mount was roached.

Old 05-12-2023, 02:59 AM
Smile

Thanks a bunch for all the helpful answers, its tricky for me to find ppl who knows these old cars where i live, even mechanics.
So how quite is a functional Sebring in drive? Am I supposed to hear the engine revving up and down between gears, aswell as that slight mechanic hissing sound (hard to explain).
Its most quite on highways really when its not going between gears anymore.

I will try look at the fluid pan first and see if I can find pieces of anything as adviced.

Old 05-17-2023, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Chrysler Doggie
Hi there everyone!
I bought a sebring 2005 roughly 1 year ago, when I got it the transmission fluid was pink and fresh in colour, even today the colour of hte fluid is fresh.
But it has always had some hissing sounds when accelerating at low speeds and sometimes it has the occasional "bump".
RPM never exceeds 2 before shifting though and on full gas the speed feels accurate, its mostly notable in ctiy traffic when shifting between lower gears constantly back and forth.

You guys think the transmission is about to give up, anyone have similiar issues? I have never owned a Sebring before and cant test how its supposed to shift therefore.
Thanks in advance
Delete