Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Sebring Doesnt Start Right Away After Sitting

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 08:40 PM
Default Sebring Doesnt Start Right Away After Sitting

Hi All,

I have a 1997 Sebring Convertible 2.5L and when it sits for about an hour or so, when starting, it doesn't start right away. It turns over for about 4 or 5 seconds before starting. I think I know what the issue is. The gas line does not hold pressure. I opened the gas line beside the fuel rail after having it sit for a bit, only to find no gas in the line. After it starts, I'll shut it off and there is a lot of pressure in the line full of gas.

I'm going to dig deeper into this later in the week. I was wondering if anybody knows of a good place to start looking for a pressure leak. Does anybody know of any common issues these cars had relating to what I mentioned above? (fuel filter, fuel rail, lines that are leaking at any point, fuel pump at the gas tank, etc.)

Thanks

Old 08-21-2017, 10:23 PM

If you don't see any signs of a leak then you probably have a bad check valve in the fuel pump which is allowing fuel to go back into the tank.

John

Old 08-21-2017, 11:37 PM

If you don't see any signs of a leak then you probably have a bad check valve in the fuel pump which is allowing fuel to go back into the tank.
I haven't got under the car yet, so I will check for leaks when I do. Thanks for the info, I will keep that in mind.

Old 08-23-2017, 05:06 PM

When I jacked the car up from the passenger's side rear and got under it, I noticed fuel leaking down the drivers side of the gas tank into a little puddle. I cannot see on top of the tank unless I drop it. Is there a valve/vent on top of that gas tank that could leak gas? Or is it supposed to be a sealed unit? The tank is a little less than half full.

Old 08-23-2017, 05:21 PM

_____

Old 08-23-2017, 05:23 PM

Taking a closer look, it doesn't matter that I jacked the car up from one side. I started the car and then shut it off. Gas is leaking from the top somewhere. That's where all the gas in the line is going when its not running. Its leaking out. I think I found the issue so I will post back when I drop the tank to see whats going on.

Old 08-26-2017, 03:35 AM

I dropped the tank and the return connection, on the pump itself, is what was leaking. It has a crack in the cheap *** plastic male connection on top. When I removed the fuel filter connection, it totally broke off. I got a replacement fuel pump from AutoZone and what do you know? The damn thing didn't pump. No pressure what-so-ever. I returned it and had to go to Oreillys (long drive) because AutoZone didn't have any more. I have not installed it yet, but will post back when I do. Probably tomorrow. Are there no more reliable vendors to use when it comes to auto parts? I have been burnt more in the last 10 years than what I have been in the 30 years prior. Such cheaply made products!!!

Old 08-26-2017, 09:50 AM

It takes more time to get them, but rockauto.com is very good AND reliable! when knowing of an upcoming repair I order parts thru them. Don't know where you are located, but there is always EXPENSIVE NAPA or Advance Auto/Carquest!

Old 08-26-2017, 08:25 PM

Well, you got 20 years out of that cheap *** plastic connector. That's pretty good.

Old 08-27-2017, 02:40 AM

It takes more time to get them, but rockauto.com is very good AND reliable! when knowing of an upcoming repair I order parts thru them. Don't know where you are located, but there is always EXPENSIVE NAPA or Advance Auto/Carquest!

Yes, I try to use RockAuto. I have never had a bad experience with them yet. But I always try to use the local auto parts stores first in case something doesn't work. Its easier to return those items. Rock Auto is usually cheaper, but sometimes I don't have time to wait for an order through the mail.

Well, you got 20 years out of that cheap *** plastic connector. That's pretty good.

That is pretty good. What I am upset about is the fact that I had to replace a whole fuel pump because of a cracked plastic cheap *** connection on top of it when the actual fuel pump is working fine. Im keeping the pump, maybe sell it on Ebay disclosing what is wrong with it. Somebody could go to a junk yard to get the top (lid) that has the broken connector. Something I don't have time to do.

So I returned the one from AutoZone and replaced it with the one I got from Oreillys. It works perfectly. Now just for the A/C that has a leak. Its on average 105F here in Phoenix..... Ugggh!

Thanks all for the help!!!!

Quick Reply: Sebring Doesnt Start Right Away After Sitting