Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

some questions

Old 12-17-2008, 07:34 AM
Default some questions

First, is there a universal key to lock the glovebox and center console? We never got any. And, our Fog lights do not work. Is that a common problem? Thats not related to the cluster not working, is it?

Old 12-17-2008, 09:37 AM
Default RE: some questions

Your ignition key should lock and unlock the glove box. There is a valet key with a metal head that does not unlock the glove box.

You didn't say what year this was, but the first gen's have a common problem with the fog light switch. The contacts get corroded/dirty and don't work anymore. A lot of people have paid to replace the switch, but all you have to do is turn it on and off really fast over and over again for about a minute and it will start working again.

Old 12-17-2008, 09:57 AM

Well I have a 96. the Ignition key does not fit in the glovebox. Will have to try the foglight trick, (thats in the same switch as the headlights) but the front foglight is cracked, would that cause both foglights not to work, and is it hard to change?

Old 12-17-2008, 06:58 PM

The foglights actually have lightbulbs inside a glass housing. In my case, when I got my car both fog light lenses had holes in them, but the light bulbs were fine and worked fine once I did the switch thing one bad bulb should not prevent the other from lighting, but you could pull the bulbs to see if they are burned out. I bought a decent set of used fog lights on eBay for about $50. They're easy to replace.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:23 PM

BTW, the fog lights do not work separately from the headlights. The headlights must be on for the fog lights to work.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:28 AM

ORIGINAL: dcotter0579

BTW, the fog lights do not work separately from the headlights. The headlights must be on for the fog lights to work.
Well yes I know. You turn the switch to lights (on steering column) then pull for Fog lights, right?
Its not going on.

Old 12-18-2008, 01:00 PM

You can get a replacement multifunction switch but many owners that I'm familiar with did have success with the repeated activation of the switch. Some did take a while though. And some wound up using a contact cleaner in addition. But that requires digging into the steering column for access.

If they have never been on, I'd suggest that you replace the bulbs before fussing with the switch much more. There is an indicator light in the center of the instrument panel but your car is of an age where it may be out too.

Old 12-18-2008, 01:22 PM

ORIGINAL: bandaide
There is an indicator light in the center of the instrument panel but your car is of an age where it may be out too.
Would this indicator light be with my odometer reading that is also out? And the tach? I read about how to fix all that, all in all, I think this is a good everyday car for my daughter.

Old 12-18-2008, 10:35 PM

ORIGINAL: lucass1428

ORIGINAL: bandaide
There is an indicator light in the center of the instrument panel but your car is of an age where it may be out too.
Would this indicator light be with my odometer reading that is also out? And the tach? I read about how to fix all that, all in all, I think this is a good everyday car for my daughter.
Hmm, yes and no.

The fog light is an incandescent bulb. And they have a comparatively short life to the LED segments in the odo. Your odo and tach are an issue related to some bad solder connections on the back of the board (relatively common problem for the 96) and they are a separate issue from the fog light bulb.

Old 12-27-2008, 06:33 AM

Hi, go here for your dash fix, This guy is FAST and gets it back in the mail to you the same day he receives it ( and fixes it) http://www.mrwhizard.com/services2.cfm#Start

Mike

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: some questions