Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Spark Plugs-Strange problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 08:49 PM
Default Spark Plugs-Strange problem

Lemme preface this by saying I am in no way car guy

So I have a 2002 sebring. 4 cyl dohc.

Lately the car has been running really bad so I took it into autozone to have them hook their computer up to it to tell me whats wrong. They said that plugs 1 and 4 were having problems. So I figured I would just give them a change. Well as it turns out my 5/8 deep well socket cannot catch the plugs at all and I have tried like 4 different 5/8 sockets. I did manage to get plug 4 out and when I did the plug was noticeably shorter than the plugs that were supposed to be in the car. I did a search on google for the plug that I pulled and it turns out that the plug was made for outboard motors. Plugs 1-3 sit so low I have no chance of getting my socket to catch. Any suggestion...extremely frustrated.

Old 05-08-2011, 11:45 PM
Super Moderator

put a set of champion plugs in there the part number is on the white label under the hood

Old 05-09-2011, 12:01 AM

Well my question is not what plugs to put in but how to get these other plugs out. I did not put these in there

Old 05-09-2011, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by aaronsedge
Well my question is not what plugs to put in but how to get these other plugs out. I did not put these in there
May want to use an extension or two. That's what I usually do: rachet+extension(-s)+socket

Hope that's all it takes. Maybe I misunderstood you though.

FYI: My platinum Champions have been really good on the 2.7L V6. Last a very long time. So I second Chrysler Tech on that. If you can't find anywhere on the hood or in the owners manual what plugs to use, you can go to Champions web site. There should be a section where you can figure out what plug fits your car. Can use this too:
Spark plug, Spark plug wire, spark plug gap, spark plug cross reference and ignition wires at Sparkplugs.com

Old 05-09-2011, 08:50 AM

Maybe I'm not doing a good job explaining. I can get the socket all the way down as far as a 5/8 will fit down. My problem is that someone used spark plugs made for an outboard motor. These plugs are significantly shorter and the nut part of the plug sits so far down is inaccessible. How they got them in there I have no idea. It's really hard to explain wish there was a way I could show you guys. Basically I need a different way to get these plugs out

Old 05-09-2011, 09:08 AM
Cool

Hmm... sorry... I thought those spark plugs would be no different in removal technique than car engine ones...maybe someone else more mechanically advanced can help you.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:29 AM

Have you checked to see if there is a special socket for outboard motors?

Old 05-09-2011, 09:33 AM

Also, another thought, have you tried using a long style regular socket?

Old 05-09-2011, 09:41 AM

I did get lucky and get plug four out and the socket fits the plug perfectly. The socket just won't catch on the other 3. A friend suggested I go get 3 more sockets and put some jbweld in them and try to get the plugs out that way. Kinda scared of that idea...but do I have any other options

Old 05-09-2011, 10:16 AM

Are you using a 5/8 deep spark plug socket or a regular deep one? Try taking the rubber out of the spark plug socket, it may be shorting you. There is no recessed area that will make the plug could go below deck.

Quick Reply: Spark Plugs-Strange problem