Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Thermostat removal instructions question

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 08:14 AM
Default Thermostat removal instructions question

'02 2.7L LX Sebring: In my haynes repair guide it gives a series of instructions on the 2.7L for removal of the thermostat that don't make any sense to me. I just want to clarify and confirm before I start work, so any advice and opinions based on experience are greatly appreciated. It says that to replace the thermostat, you should remove the drive belts, remove the alternator and move the SC compressor. This just seems like overkill to me. Also the illustration doesn't match the actual parts and it's impossible to tell the location of where the illustration is on the engine. It could be on the side or on the top of the block. I can't tell. Am I correct in the idea that I just partially drain the radiator and just pack some towels around the thermostat housing to prevent spillage. I hope that's all I need. Also does anyone know the torque specs on the housing bolts? I don't have my repair guide handy. Thanks to all in advance.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:38 AM

The thermostat on the 2.7 L engine is on the front side of the engine, down low, behind the alternator. That thing on the top of the engine with all the hoses coming out is NOT the thermostat housing.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:21 AM

Thank you. Now it all makes sense.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:23 AM

OK, so now that changes my mission. That item on the top of the engine with the hoses is what is leaking. It looks like it's coming out of the bottom of the mount. What is that unit called? I need to begin researching that fix. JG

Old 07-31-2013, 09:42 AM

Fixed the same thing on my car, it is the "AM-45598713" (that's the part number from AM Autoparts - After Market Auto Parts - Headlights, Mirrors, and More
The thermostat is the little metal ringed object with a spring on one end and a valve on the other. The housing you are talking about is what houses the bleeding nut and the thermostat sensor (that communicates with your gauge for your engine temp)

Don't forget to bleed your unit after installing the new one.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:44 AM

ALSO your "leaking" might actually be the bleeder nut (small brass nut on the very top with no hose attached) being loose. This would cause a steady stream of coolant to leak from the top of the nut. If you do replace the unit, make sure that nothing, I mean NOTHING gets into the space below the unit or you will be in a world of hurt the next time you crank your engine.

Old 07-31-2013, 01:51 PM

That thing is called the coolant outlet manifold. It is the subject of a great deal of discussion here on the forum. With the proper tool, you can remove and replace it without removing the upper intake manifold. Search for the term "gear wrench" and you'll find a very long thread discussing replacement of the part.

Old 07-31-2013, 02:08 PM

excellent, thanks for the updates. I have already removed the manifold so that's not an issue, but I will check that search. JG

Old 08-01-2013, 09:59 AM

OK, Sebring7, this is confusing me now. The link you posted from AM Autoparts is calling it the thermostat housing. dcotter0579 is calling it the coolant outlet manifold. Also dcotter says the thermostat housing is on the front of the engine, but the thing that's leaking on my sebring is on top of the engine and does indeed look like the item in the link you sent. So now I need clarification. The item in the link: where is that located on the engine? Is that really the thermostat housing, or is it on the front of the engine as dcotter explained? Please advise. Thanks. JG

Old 08-01-2013, 10:34 AM

Hi,

I replaced my thermostat + coolant outlet.

Too many confussion in technical manuals & others.

2.7 engine: Thermostat is bottom / coolant outlet is on top of the engine

Both parts connects with a coolant hose from radiator.

Please, don't use DORMAN chinesse part. Includes a faulty temperature sensor which indicates false temperature to PCM, then fans don't start and engine overheating!!!

Regards

Quick Reply: Thermostat removal instructions question