Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Transmission Pan - metal gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 08:45 PM
Default Transmission Pan - metal gasket?

Hey gang - 2000 Sebring JXi. I'm changing the Trans fluid and got to thinking about the car's history for a sec. I remember years back when I first got the car the transmission pan was leaking. Under warranty, I must have taken it back to the Chrysler dealership almost 4 times for the same issue (they'd fix it, then it would leak after a while). Then, after 'officially' fixing the problem the fourth time around, I SEEM to recall someone at the shop saying they decided NOT to use the RTV sealant...but I can't say for sure.

The trans fluid was changed once afterwards by a local mechanic around 80K and I haven't any leaks since then. Now I'm doing the a standard fluid maintenance change myself. With the pan off, I noticed the car is using a METAL gasket with a small rubber edge along the inside, and I barely see ANY traces of an RTV selant. I can see some specs of orange coloring scattered throughout (like there USED to be sealant at some point), but it was clear that something was scraped off along the edges of the pan (minor scrape marks along the whole thing). All that was on there was this metal gasket.

So my question - should I use a sealant when putting it back together, or does this type of gasket not require sealant? Every shop manual and online forum seems to suggest using sealant (and I am well aware of most people's recommendations to use the Black Chrysler stuff), but I can't find any information about these metal gaskets.

So do I need ANY sealant in this scenario, given the history and gasket type? I'm just trying to avoid potential leaking down the road. Thanks everyone.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:50 PM

There are gaskets widely sold in auto parts stores, you can find them on line easily. You might consider visiting an auto parts store that sells them and discuss it with them. They can probably supply a manufacturer's name and you could try contacting the manufacturer. I believe these gaskets are advertised as re-usable.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by dcotter0579
There are gaskets widely sold in auto parts stores, you can find them on line easily. You might consider visiting an auto parts store that sells them and discuss it with them. They can probably supply a manufacturer's name and you could try contacting the manufacturer. I believe these gaskets are advertised as re-usable.
Thank you Cotter - but that does not answer my question. If I were to KEEP the current metal gasket, will I need to apply sealant, or does it not need sealant (again, based on the previous history and lack of sealant when I took the pan off)

Old 11-21-2010, 03:28 PM

I think I answered your question with a suggestion as to where you might find your answer. I have seen gaskets like that used on oil pans (engine), and they don't have sealant. They seem capable of not leaking but eventually, given enough time, they start to leak. They are not expensive, compared to the cost of the trans fluid, so if I were you, I'd buy a new gasket and throw out the old one.

Old 11-25-2010, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by JoeF2002
Hey gang - 2000 Sebring JXi. I'm changing the Trans fluid and got to thinking about the car's history for a sec. I remember years back when I first got the car the transmission pan was leaking. Under warranty, I must have taken it back to the Chrysler dealership almost 4 times for the same issue (they'd fix it, then it would leak after a while). Then, after 'officially' fixing the problem the fourth time around, I SEEM to recall someone at the shop saying they decided NOT to use the RTV sealant...but I can't say for sure.

The trans fluid was changed once afterwards by a local mechanic around 80K and I haven't any leaks since then. Now I'm doing the a standard fluid maintenance change myself. With the pan off, I noticed the car is using a METAL gasket with a small rubber edge along the inside, and I barely see ANY traces of an RTV selant. I can see some specs of orange coloring scattered throughout (like there USED to be sealant at some point), but it was clear that something was scraped off along the edges of the pan (minor scrape marks along the whole thing). All that was on there was this metal gasket.

So my question - should I use a sealant when putting it back together, or does this type of gasket not require sealant? Every shop manual and online forum seems to suggest using sealant (and I am well aware of most people's recommendations to use the Black Chrysler stuff), but I can't find any information about these metal gaskets.

So do I need ANY sealant in this scenario, given the history and gasket type? I'm just trying to avoid potential leaking down the road. Thanks everyone.
On the 2006 Sebring, you have to use a NEW gasket evertime you change the transmission oil. (on other cars, I have always replaced gasket and also added the black sealer and I have never had a leak) The original dealer gasket is the best. I really mean best!
Also Chrysler now recommeds fluid AT4 not 3. Best to buy this at dealer also. Not all fluids are same, and I had problems with generic fluids of same type in past, so now I only use genuine dealer fluid.
On 2006 Sebring, you also have to do a transmission RELEARN when u do a tran oil change. You cannot do that with your basic ODB scanner. You need one that costs 1000's.

Old 11-25-2010, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator

U dont haft to do a relearn unless U replace the trans, or any internal part just replacing the fluid does not require the relearn correctly known as a QuickLearn

Old 12-02-2010, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by CHRYSLER TECH
U dont haft to do a relearn unless U replace the trans, or any internal part just replacing the fluid does not require the relearn correctly known as a QuickLearn
You are right.
I am about to do a Tran oil change on 2.7 2006 Sebring. How do I get the MOST oil out? I just normally drop the pan and change whatever comes out, but that does not get most of the fluid out. Is there anything else I need to know when doing this job?
Thanks