Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Transmission pan torque specs

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 12:46 PM
Default Transmission pan torque specs

I own a 2004 Chrysler Sebring LX 2.7L Engine. Does anyone know the torque specs for the transmission pan bolts? I have a gasket leak and I am planning on changing the gasket. Any help would be great.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:04 PM

165 in-lbs.

Another common source of a transmission leak is the solenoid pack. Search the forum here for discussions.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:13 PM

Thank you for the information and the tip.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:06 PM

Just an addition. Make sure you tighten the bolts (after "snug" tightening all around) from side to side. In other words, 12 oclock, 6 oclock, 9 oclock, 3 oclock...etc...like lug nuts..

Old 02-28-2012, 06:05 AM

Thanks for the extra information. One quick question. Should I use an adhesive for transmission gasket?

Old 02-28-2012, 08:41 AM

You should use a silicon based gasket adhesive. Just to hold it in place if nothing else! Good luck.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:06 PM

Thanks for the help.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by tmizzle
Thanks for the extra information. One quick question. Should I use an adhesive for transmission gasket?
If you mean the rubber gasket which usually comes with a new filter - you should NOT use any adhesive. Use it completely dry. Put a few of the bolts through to keep the gasket in position while you hold it up, the rubber will hold them. Also, you can use less torque, I used 125 in-lb, I would not go more than 140 in-lb - more might make the gasket squeeze out.

The 165 in-lb spec is for the factory method of not even using any gasket, but a special Chrysler adhesive. People have been generally unsuccessful using regular RTV since the slow dripping of fluid makes it impossible to keep the edges dry for RTV to cure. Apparently the Chrysler adhesive will seal even with the dripping, but I've never tried it.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:03 PM

I used Permatex Ultra Copper

http://www.permatex.com/products/Aut...sket_Maker.htm

I bought the filter kit with a gasket and used this stuff on both sides of the gasket. Go easy with it, and let it dry for a day before you add back the trans fluid and start the car. You don't want a little blob circulating in the trans. I had no leaks after this.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:22 PM

Everything worked out in the end. Had no problem with the gasket and adhesive. Only when I was tightening the trany bolts did I run into a problem. When I was nearing the proper torque over half my bolts stripped inside the trany. The screws were not gripping inside the holes. I had to bore the holes and replace the old bolts with bigger bolts and used washers to get the proper seal.

Quick Reply: Transmission pan torque specs