Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Transmission Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 08:52 PM
Default Transmission Problem

I have a 2006 Sebring GTC convertableand have noticed ever since I have owned the car in the morning when the transmission is cold that it shifts extremely rough going from first to second. I have also noticed that when the transmission is warmed up and I am comming toa complete stop the transmission downshifts extremely rough going from second to first. I have taken it to the dealership twice for this problem and they have checked the entire transmission and informed me that this is normal for this vehicle. I have driven many cars with automatic transmissions in my life but have never experienced this as being a normal behavior. Does anybody know a solution to this problem?

Old 04-30-2007, 09:48 PM
Default RE: Transmission Problem

I think i may have figured it out...
my mom has the same year sebring, 'cept it is convertable, but hers does the same thing. The gear for 1st is bigger than it should be and the gear for 2nd is smaller, so on the downshift it hits againts the 1st gear and pops back onto it, hence the hardness...nothing with anything electrical, purly mechanical

by the way...this is just a hunch, heh

Old 04-30-2007, 09:52 PM

If that is the case, then their is a design flaw with the transmission and if so shouldn't they issue a recal?

Old 05-01-2007, 02:30 AM
Super Moderator

recalls are only for safety issues a harsh shift is noting to do with safety. I woulds say u need what is called a quick learn that will force a learn of the CVIs and make a softer shift.

Old 05-02-2007, 10:55 PM

Will this resolve the rough downshift? If so will the dealership know what to do?

Old 05-03-2007, 05:16 AM

Mine is a 2004 and does the samething, what should you ask the dealership when you go in to get the quick learn.

Old 10-03-2008, 08:14 PM

I have a Concorde that does the same thing, make sure the fluid is changed with Chrysler fluid and new filter. If that does not do it there is a chance that it is an electrical issue. There should be a code that comes up. It probably is the solenoid pack that is bad. It has fluid that flows through it and screens that get clogged. It shifts had at low speeds because fluid is not flowing right and same reason when cold. My Concorde is much older, but sounds like same problem

Old 10-10-2008, 05:21 PM

I have a 2002 GTC and it does the very same thing. Ive owned the car for about 6 months and does it a lot but never seems to get worse or better so i guess its just the way its built. Ive also noticed when i slow down to almost a complete stop but not an entire complete stop (probably 3MPH) when i push the gas it will kinda rev a little and wait about 1 sec. and kinda jerk into gear a bit. It dosen't do it all the time but every once in a while, i guess its where it hasent fallin into 1st gear from 2nd. Is this something i should be concerned about?

Old 10-12-2008, 12:59 AM

Sounds like an engineer missed a little bit. But as common as this problem seems to be, your dealer or a reputable transmission shop should know exactly what you are asking about with the term "Quick Learn". If not, go elsewhere.

Old 10-12-2008, 02:48 PM

Ok, Thanks!

Quick Reply: Transmission Problem