Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Transmission Solenoid Replacement Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 10:05 PM
Default Transmission Solenoid Replacement Problem

So I replaced the transmission solenoid in my 2001 Sebring LXi 2.7l sedan the other day because the old one had a leaky gasket and they didnt sell the gasket by itself. I got a whole new solenoid that included the gasket and it went on just fine and everything. The only concern I have is now(a few days after i installed it) it shifts rough. When it shifts it will do one jerk to go into gear or it will hesitate to go into gear(hard to describe but you can tell its not normal at all) and then it will lunge into gear. Yesterday when I was pulling into Oreillys I turned to go into a parking spot and when I was 1/4 in the spot the car completely died. Let me tell you what I think it could be, when I put the airbox back on I dont know if the air filter went all the way back on the intake. Could that have anything to do with the shifting? I also changed the spark plugs in it(I used autolite, not champion). Could it be the spark plugs? I am getting a K&N filter soon so I will get another chance to look at it again, make sure everything is screwed on tight(but not stripped) and hopefully find something wrong. I also have to change the tramsission filter, transmission pan gasket, and valve cover gasket. Will any of that help? ANY suggestions would be great! I appreciate this forum and everyone on here helping me and saving me money by not having to go somewhere and pay for this stuff. Thank you ALL!!

Last edited by tylersheehy; 04-09-2012 at 10:24 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:21 PM

Can anyone help me? I got my K&N filter today and put that in, also tightened all the screws on the solenoid and made sure everything was connected, added some tranny fluid and it helped it but barely, its still rough around 2nd, havent got a chance to get it to shift into 3rd(I just drove it up and down the street tonight). 1st got a little better though.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator

Might be a bad one that U got or U need a quick learn to get things back in order or U installed it wrong

Old 04-11-2012, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by CHRYSLER TECH
Might be a bad one that U got or U need a quick learn to get things back in order or U installed it wrong
I think i got a bad one, its almost impossible to install wrong. I will ask Oreillys what they can do about it.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:43 PM
Super Moderator

was there a plate when u took out the old one? it would be the size of the sol pack.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by CHRYSLER TECH
was there a plate when u took out the old one? it would be the size of the sol pack.
There wasnt a plate, I scraped the old gasket off and installed the new one. The new one didnt come with any kind of a plate either.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:17 AM
Super Moderator

the older ones had a plate u had to remove for the new one teats why I asked.
Did u replace the transmission filter as well? did u top off the fluid with ATF+4?

Old 04-12-2012, 10:51 AM

I didn't change the transmission filter but I have the pan gasket(because its leaky) and iit also came with a filter. I don't have a lift to do this but I did top off the fluid and it didn't help much at all. I am going back to oreillys today afterschool and going to try get a different solenoid.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:06 PM

I wouldn't give up on the solenoid module yet. The factory service manual says you need to do a quick learn on the tranmission with a chrysler scan tool after replacing the module. I didn't do it myself, I just replaced it recently. I did something like this below that I found and my shifting seems to be fine now:

Transaxle must be warmed up.
Maintain constant throttle opening during shifts
Do not move accelerator pedal during upshifts
Accelerate vehicle with throttle opening angle in the range of 10 to 50 degress
Make 15-20: 1-2,2-3, 3-4 upshifts. Accelerate from stop to about 45 mph each time at a moderate throttle opening angle.

With vehicle speed below 25 mph make 5 to 8 wide open throttle kick downs from to either third or second gear from 4th gear (4-3 or 4-2 for example).
Do the same with vehicle speeds above 25 mph do the same kick downs with part to wide open throttle position. Allow for 5 seconds or more in 4th, preferably at road load throttle prior to performing kick downs.

This should optimize shift quality.

Otherwise, a DRB III scan tool is needed to do this automatically followign a specific protocal that is programmed into its cartridge.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:32 PM

I talked to my girlfriends dad who works at a chrysler dealership and he said if I pull around to the back of his shop garages that he will relearn it for me. Thanks guys! I was starting to get worried about needing a new tranny in a few months. This site is amazing!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Transmission Solenoid Replacement Problem