Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

transmission or tire noise?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 07:08 PM
Default transmission or tire noise?

Ok, so maybe I do have a slight problem on my 01 LXi. 67000 miles. I can hear a "whirring" noise that seems louder than usual at any speed over about 10 mph. It sounds like tire noise, but louder than usual. Could it be the trans? Just had the fluid changed recently and the level looks good as far as i can tell. Also, I have had other cars do this and it turned out to be the speedo cable. Does the LXi have an actual cable for the speedo, or is it electronic? The car seems to run just as well as always and shifts fine. I have shifted into neutral at highway speed and the sound is still present. I'll swear it is just tire hum, but I'm paranoid. It has some cheapo(still $500 per set) Fuzions on it with about 20000 miles on them. Any thoughts?

Old 11-07-2006, 12:09 PM
Default RE: transmission or tire noise?

Is it something that just started suddenly ? Maybe...Tire pressure. maybe rotate tires and see what happens. Need more info on this one.

Old 11-07-2006, 01:09 PM

Thanks for the reply. It seems to have creeped up on me. The sound, now that I think about it more is really what I would call a "drone" type of noise. It may have been there all along. Most noticeable between 40-65 mph. I may try a rotation and see what happens. I can get it done for free with the road hazard warranty I bought with the tires. I think I have ruled out any speedo cable issues. This sound is coming either from under the hood or the road. Again, if any one could tell me the proper procedure to check my trans fluid. Should the car be running, in nuetral when checking the dipstick?

Old 11-07-2006, 03:41 PM

This could be a tough one to figure out online. If the sound doesn't change when you put in neutrel on the highway and you let the RPMs drop, than it could be in the wheels or tires. If the tire you put on is not what is recomended it could be wearing funny. It could be brakes rubbing. It could be CV joints going bad. It could be your front grille vibrating or some similar vibration. You'll have to play Shelock Holmes for awhile.

Old 11-07-2006, 03:50 PM

Thanks Oddman for the help. Come to think of it I did hit some debris on the interstate a few weeks ago and it pulled out some of the bumper under the grill, where it wraps down underneath and snaps into the frame or something. In fact I had to replace that little blank lense looking thing to the side of the grill. It could be flapping around once I get moving. I dont think it is anything major as there havent been any replies saying "oh yeah, my sebring does that too". And there isnt any drop in performance. No smoke, no odors etc. Thanks again

Old 11-07-2006, 06:14 PM

I know that the convertibles have some unperdictable body shake...I feel that in my '99 JXi due to the fact there is no roof, so its much like a boat. The sides of the car are held in place on the bottom edge, instead of having the support of a "halo".

Old 11-17-2006, 03:30 PM

Hey Oddman, I think i have this noise pinpointed down to a wheel bearing. Now i have a "service engine soon" light on. I was reading that this car has a tone sensor for the hubs or whatever down by the wheels somewhere. Maybe this is it. Either way I will have to take it to a shop.

Old 11-17-2006, 05:13 PM

Let me know how it turns out......my '99 JXi has 107,000 on it and I only have changed brakes, tires, plugs, fluids and filters. I have had no major mechanical problems...at all.

Old 11-17-2006, 08:45 PM

Oddman, I will let you know how it turns out. Funny thing is the car runs perfect. Probably would have just let it slide. But now the "service engine light". Luckily i have a second vehicle and am not that worried about getting it fixed pronto. I'm wondering if my ill advised venture into the 120 mph range have smoked a bearing. Thanks for your feedback.

Old 11-25-2006, 12:49 AM

Ok, so I broke down and took the aforementioned Sebring to the dealer today. They say it needs a "Power train Control Module, a set of plug wires and new plugs" to make the "service engine soon light" to be taken care of. Needs two front wheel bearings to make the growling noise go away. Total estimate $1330!!!! Wow, I need to sit down for a minute after hearing that. Any thoughts?

Quick Reply: transmission or tire noise?