Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Vapor Canister

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 08:15 PM
Default Vapor Canister

So my 'Gascap' warning starting coming on, then a few days later, the MIL light came on.

I checked the codes, P0456 and P0457

So I took it in to get checked, and they tell me there is a hole in the canister, and it's not covered by warranty?

$115 for the estimate. and they want $269 to replace it.

I looked up the part and I can buy it or ~$50 and it's a <15 min intall.

And they wonder why we don't shop at the 'St(D)ealers'.

Anyone else ever run into this? I would think it should be a warranty issue, as they put the canister in a bad spot (right near the rear wheel) and put no protection on it, even though it's plastic. Very poor design.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator

I would think it should be a warranty issue, as they put the canister in a bad spot (right near the rear wheel) and put no protection on it, even though it's plastic. Very poor design. I looked up 1.1 hours labor plus u had some Diag built in right? and a 70$ part

humm u are maybe 1 of 1000 people that has had some thing come up and put a hole in that part so windshields should be covered for the life of the car? u cant have the whole car protected from every kind of issue that may happen. if u want that buy a tank from our us gov and help pay off our national debt.

Old 11-05-2011, 12:22 PM

<clap><clap><clap>

Good job protecting corporate america!

So you don't see the difference between a windshield, which has only one place to be, and an emission device that could go anywhere? Or that could be built better? Or could have a 10 cent metal shield over it?

Carbon canisters used to be in the engine compartment. Why is it now right behind tha back wheel, where it is guaranteed to get hit by rocks?

When I buy tires I get a road hazard guarantee.

I paid ~$1000 for a deluxe warranty/service contract.

BTW I fixed it with about 2 cents worth of ABS glue.

My complaint isn't so much about the warranty. It's about the inflated costs. My dealer quoted me $117 for the canister, which can be purchased for about $50, and $137.50 for labor for a repair that will take under 15 minutes. PLUS I paid $115 for the estimate.

Old 11-05-2011, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator

what does corp America have anything to do with this? U must be a lib or dem cant stand any one making some money.

If u think the dealer is so bad call up a local shop in your area and ask them how much an evap canister cost parts and labor and see just how far off they really are..
U tell me where u can get a new evap canister for 50 bucks at I want to see this
The canisters are not that thin so it had to be a pretty good hit to make a crack in it.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:38 PM

2009 Chrysler Sebring Convertible Emission system - Parts.com

Any other questions?

As for the rest you are obviously one of the brainwashed masses who believe the rich are helping you and that the american way is 'rip off thy neighbor', so further conversation is pointless.

Suffice it to say, nothing hit my canister, it has a defect.

Old 11-06-2011, 03:15 PM

Uh, you bought the replacement part from corporate America, actually. That precisely is the American way. Produce it cheaper and you get the business.

Old 11-06-2011, 05:37 PM
Super Moderator

hehe a lib who is brain washed? I own my own business and Dcotter is correct u support the evil corp every day and dont even know it. your GAS that goes in your CAR
to take u to your WORK that pays for your FOOD so u can HEAT your HOUSE and COOL it off in the summer wow man u sure are helping out all those evil rich people huh?
If u were really mad at them and did not want to help out the evil people u would live off the grid Make your own food make your own gas build your own car build your own power supply. If u dont do any of the about them u are supporting them as much as any one else in this world and bitching about it to boot.

No one is helping me do anything I don't live off the government i don't count on the government to give me anything nor do I want anything from them. The only thing that the so cold rich people do for me is make those wonderful little places I like to go to and eat at. and buy discount parts from OOO sorry u do to.

Old 11-06-2011, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator

"So I took it in to get checked, and they tell me there is a hole in the canister" I was not aware of any plastic eating bugs in the world or plastic just having a hole appear in it for no reason. So what was defective about it besides there was a hole in it some where?

Old 11-07-2011, 12:22 PM

Heh morons, are sooo fun.

I too own my own business, what does that mean?

There may be no plastic eating bugs, but there is poor quality workmanship, and bad design engineering.

There is a 'soft' spot in my canister, no doubt brought to light by a rock.

However, you all go back to sleep, pay through the nose and believe whatever the 'man' tells you. I saved about $270.00.

Liberal? ROFL, wrong country entirely, buddy, oh, and the Reps are just the rich robbing you idiots blind.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:30 PM

Dude, nobody here is advocating paying through the nose for anything. Your comment about "corporate America" is the problem. Unless that website you bought the part from is run by the tooth fairy, then you DID buy your part from "corporate America".
"Corporate America" needs to produce the best products it can for the lowest price every single day or be rolled over by the competition. That's the way "Corporate America" lives and dies.

Quick Reply: Vapor Canister