Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

will not rev cold

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 05:37 PM
Default will not rev cold

Hey guys this is my first post on here. I am having an issue i cant figure out. Its a 96 sebring 2.5 auto with 115000 miles That will not rev up over 2500-3000rpms until it runs for about 15 or 20 min. and is good and warmed up then it runs perfect. I have changed plugs, wires, cap, button, egr valve, idle air circ. its got 50-52 psi fuel pressure. What do i do next?

Old 08-27-2008, 06:11 PM
Default RE: will not rev cold

It was a Ford, not a Sebring, but an O2 sensor was responsible for mine. I only figured it out when it finally threw a code. (About 3 mos)

Old 08-28-2008, 05:20 AM

I changed the coolant temp. sensor last night and still the same.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:36 AM

Could it be the intake air temp sensor?

Old 08-29-2008, 01:53 PM

ORIGINAL: dcotter0579

Could it be the intake air temp sensor?
Ill find out shortly I ordered one yesterday.

Old 09-04-2008, 06:09 AM

Still no good. Any other ideas

Old 09-04-2008, 11:04 AM

Up to this point, it seems like you've been just taking stabs in the dark. Maybe it's time to see if there are any codes that will help guide the process. Not every code causes the MIL (malfunction indicator light or check engine light) to come on. You can buy an OBD II code reader for about 50 bucks on eBay, or you might be able to go to your local AutoZone store and have them take a reading for free.
It's possible that the problem lies in one of the circuits for one of the sensors you have replaced. If there's a bad wire leading to a sensor, or a bad connection along the way, replacing the sensor won't help.
Keep us posted.

Old 09-07-2008, 11:37 AM

Yea thats pretty much what i have been doing.There are no codes so we have just been trying what we think could cause it. The egr valve needed replaced (littlesticky and part of the solenoid was broke off)i do know that and so did the plugs wires cap and button(he never changed them before)

Old 09-08-2008, 09:39 AM

This is not a specific response, but printed circuit boards can malfunction when cold due to thermal contraction. When they warm up, they can expand and can squeeze a connection back together again. It can also work the opposite way. That doesn't help you find your problem though.

Did you try taking readings when the engine was cold and not working right?

The computer only sets a code if a sensor reading is outside of the range it is expecting. If the reading is within range, it assumes it is correct and reacts to it. It doesn't know if the reading is correct. It sounds like your computer is getting a reasonable reading and reacting to it but the reading is wrong, but not unreasonably so. If the computer thinks the car is warmed up even though it is not, it might be trying to operate a cold engine as if it were warm. The sensors you have changed probably should have covered that. The only other one I could imagine as being a problemhere is the MAF (mass air flow) sensor, which detects the rate of air flow going into the engine by means of a heated wire.
Failing that, it might be the computer itself, but that's a much bigger investment, andI wouldn't want to spend the money without being sure it will fix the problem.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:24 AM

I finally got a light problem is i dont know if this is the problem or the way it is running causing this code. This is what i got.

Interface Problem{1}

Ignition Coil Control Circuit{16}

Ignition Coil One & Two Primary Circuit{7} Any suggestions on this because i just dont know anymore

Quick Reply: will not rev cold