Chrysler 300, 300C & 300C SRT-8 The flagship of the Chrysler lineup offers the driver every bit of class of any European luxury sedan, combined with the availability of the Hemi, the engine which dominated the American Muscle Car Era

2006 300 help

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 08:34 PM
Default 2006 300 help

Im posting to hopefully get some help and advice for a friend of mine. She has a 06 Chrysler 300, not sure what engine or model at the moment, not a hemi though. Her problems started with, as she described, the "lightning bolt in the box" light. I later found out that it is the ETC light.

Soon after the car was having issues accelerating, she said it wouldn't go over a certain speed (slow), no power. Took it to a local mechanic who said it was the ETC and replaced the throttle body with one purchased from the dealer. He said there was a chance that it would have to go to the dealer for reprograming. After the replacement the problem soon came back so she took it to the dealer. Im not sure what, if anything was done by the dealer but she was charged a diagnostic fee and was told the car was good to go.

Less than a day later the problem continues. Towed back to the dealer, at this point she's obviously upset and frustrated only to be met with complete disrespect and rudeness from a non caring service employee. Not wanting to give these guys another penny she was in a bind and left the car for them to look at, again. After a week of having the car and finally looking at it again the dealer now says it needs a PCM, at a cost of......$2000!

Not only are these guys some of the rudest most inconsiderate service center workers I've heard of but apparently also thieves.

Anyway, Im trying to help her avoid being robbed and get her back in a working car. Any help, advice and opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 12-16-2016, 12:39 PM

...or maybe a referral to another forum?

Old 12-16-2016, 10:58 PM

The only way to diagnose a car these days is to hook it up to a scanner and read the diagnostic trouble codes stored in the computer. Nobody here can do that. There is no magic wand that somebody can wave over the internet to figure out what is going wrong with your friend's car.

There are a couple of Chrysler employees here on the site that post by the name of ChryslerCares. If you can find a post by one of them, click on their name and an option to send them a private message will come up. They might be able to intervene with the dealer for your friend.

Failing that, you'll have to get the car to a repair facility to run the proper diagnostics on it. If it truly is a failed engine computer, there are sources on the internet where you can buy one on an exchange basis for far less than the dealer would charge for a new one.

Old 12-17-2016, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by dcotter0579
The only way to diagnose a car these days is to hook it up to a scanner and read the diagnostic trouble codes stored in the computer. Nobody here can do that. There is no magic wand that somebody can wave over the internet to figure out what is going wrong with your friend's car.

There are a couple of Chrysler employees here on the site that post by the name of ChryslerCares. If you can find a post by one of them, click on their name and an option to send them a private message will come up. They might be able to intervene with the dealer for your friend.

Failing that, you'll have to get the car to a repair facility to run the proper diagnostics on it. If it truly is a failed engine computer, there are sources on the internet where you can buy one on an exchange basis for far less than the dealer would charge for a new one.

Read much??

I already stated that the car has been diagnosed by the chrysler dealer, twice. One false diagnosis. Prior to that another local shop. The problem I'm having is the overpriced quote of $2000.

I'm hoping for advice from others with direct experience with pcm replacement, such as reliable options, possibly real pricing. I know the job itself is extremely easy.