Chrysler 300, 300C & 300C SRT-8 The flagship of the Chrysler lineup offers the driver every bit of class of any European luxury sedan, combined with the availability of the Hemi, the engine which dominated the American Muscle Car Era

2006 Chrysler 300 2.7L Head Gasket Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 08:02 AM

Holy s--t SKITLE. The above is not what you wanted to hear. Seems like the dealer should now check for flat on that head .

Say Chrysler Tech, should the dealer go ahead and do the other head now the top is off the engine.?

Old 08-04-2018, 10:26 PM
Super Moderator

Why would they not? If it over heated both heads were effected.

Old 08-05-2018, 07:30 AM

Well there you go Skitle. It looks like you need to pull the other head and carry both down to the machine shop for a shave.. Then new gaskets all around and pray the original diagnosis was correct. Do keep us informed, This is getting interesting.

Yo may want to consider what other components you should replace at this point. Water pump, thermostat, etc?

Old 12-08-2018, 07:37 PM

Hello All,
So I have been working on this project as I get time and I am sorry it has been a while but I am at another place where I have questions.
As many of you suggested, I took both heads off and took them down and had them milled. The guy at the shop said he took about 6 thousandths off. He said that is not too bad, but not great either.
Anyway, I put two new head gaskets on it and I replaced the timing chains, sprockets, and several other things along the way. I wanted to make sure everything was in top shape when finished.
Today, I put the final pieces back and started filling her up with fluids when I realized a problem. The engine takes 9.7qts of antifreeze, so I figured that was about 2 1/2 gallons and I started to pour. When I got to the bottom of the jug on my 3rd gallon I started to think something was wrong. I checked my dip stick and I saw there was water in my oil. CRRAAAAPPP!!!! DANG IT!!! NNNOOOOOOO!!!! I then took the oil pan drain plug out and out came gallons of water.
Water is leaking into my engine fairly quickly. I did not even attempt to start the engine. Water was draining out of my reservoir about as quickly as a very slow pour. What could cause such a quick loss of water into the engine? The only thing I could think of is a significant crack or hole in the block water jackets some where. Does anyone else have any ideas?
I feel foolish that I spent all this time and money and fixed essentially nothing. I guess this is how you learn.

Old 12-09-2018, 04:19 PM

Yet another 2.7 water pump leak misdiagnosed as head gaskets.
Head gaskets rarely fail unless overheated. Common for water pump to put coolant in the oil.

Old 07-29-2019, 08:27 PM

So I finally got around to replacing the water pump on this car. That seems to have been the problem all along. I have driven it some and not water appears to be getting in the oil. I do have one last question. I went to put the splash guards back on the under side of the car and I have two panels that I can not seem to figure out where they go. They do not have any part number markings on them, and they look almost like giant wind shield wipers. They each have this big rubber flap on one side with two small flaps on the other. The side with the smaller flaps has some grooves in between them. I have looked online for a while trying to figure out what they are and where they go. Does anyone know what these things are? I can take a picture of them if needed.

Thank you all for your help.

Old 07-30-2019, 09:04 AM

Thanks for getting back to us on the job completed. Too bad about the miss diagnosis of a blown head gasket. Seems like somebody on the forum should have known about the possibility of a bad water pump. At least we all learned a bit from your situation.
Good on you for seeing it through. It was quite an ordeal.

Old 08-01-2019, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator

hey tar that kinda comment is irrelevant to the situation. The man asked for tips and tricks for doing head work not for diagnosing his issue. This situation is where a customer take it to a shop or tech they look at it then he goes and does the work then gets mad when the original diog was not the issue.Happens all the time. Treat your car like you would your body. On DR says you have stage 4 cancer all is lot. What do you do you get a second opinion dont you? You bet your *** you do, so why not with a car issue especially if its a large repair.
The lesson to be learned is if your going to ask for help on matters know which questions to ask first. No one on this forum can be to blame for a techs diagnosis on the car. First of all no one but Skitle and his mechanic looked at the car. Not a single person on this site has laded eyes on this issue of his correct? Nope. So a blanket statement like well some one on this forum should have mentioned a water pump was the issue is asinine. Gonna ask one question look at his original post what was his issue, what was his question?

Old 08-01-2019, 07:52 PM

Sorry Chrysler Tech, didn't mean to cast aspersions or touch a nerve. What I should have said was "who would have thunk". Not me.

Old 08-04-2019, 08:51 PM
Super Moderator

No nerve nothing out of the sorta just a fact of life this stuff will happen in all sort of situations