Chrysler 300, 300C & 300C SRT-8 The flagship of the Chrysler lineup offers the driver every bit of class of any European luxury sedan, combined with the availability of the Hemi, the engine which dominated the American Muscle Car Era

2007 300c trans issue ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 07:37 AM
Default 2007 300c trans issue ???

Hi all
I posted this in the new members area and got 105 readers but no thoughts on my problem, I'm hoping I get more coverage here and someone can share some info
just picked up a 2007 300C with the 5.7. it had been sitting for 4 years so I have a few things to do to get it running again
. empty and clean gas tank replaced primary fuel pump and 2nd sending unit, pulled fuel rail and injectors and cleaned. changed oil and filter
replace both front CV shafts, changed trans fluid and filter and Here is where I have my problem..... I think
the fluid was pretty low, I got about 3 qts out of it and the oil was black, it didn't smell scorched and there was no metal, not even dust on the magnet
However here is what I'm experiencing, sometimes, not always but always if it has sat a while parked it will grind really bad, if you push the throttle it will grind it self down to a stop as if the brakes are applied if you were to stay on the gas. I don't of course. now sometimes this only happens for a second or 2 and just go away, other times you have to just gently drive it for minute or 2 and it will stop doing it and then drive smooth as glass, it shifts out smooth and doesn't make any noise other then on that first take off after it's been parked for more than an hour or 2. so being new to all wheel drive I can only guess if this is transmission related
I have lifted the car and hand checked all the wheels for bearing play and the only one with a tiny amount is the left rear and it also is coding for implausible wheel speed on the ABS, I figure faulty wheel sensor on that.
is there anything I should or can check before taking this thing to a transmission shop to have them put it on a reader and tell me I need 3500.00 trans rebuild
Thanks in advance for your thoughts

Old 01-21-2019, 07:42 AM

Why was the car sitting for 4 years? Was you made aware of any previous issues on the car?

Old 01-21-2019, 09:22 AM

The owners moved from NY and once the current tag on it ran out they stopped driving it, or that is what we are told
we didn't get this from strangers, it is a friend of my wife. when we went to look at it and it wouldn't start they offered to give us the car because they had to move it and they bknew they were not going to spend any money to fix it as they plan to buy a little gas saver type car and the apartments where they live have a rule no tags it had to go.so fast forward to now and it runs like a champ but has this weird issue. I plan to change the fluid again this weekend
and see if it comes out with any signs of failure now that we have driven it some, but the last couple times we drove it it only made a brief grind at first hit of throttle then smooth as glass

Old 01-21-2019, 09:28 AM

it might be worth asking them if they can remember if there were any issues prior to them stopping driving it, may save a bit of time on diagnosis and money if they can remember anything.

ok please update on the state of the fluid after your next change.

Old 01-21-2019, 10:07 AM

I did ask, only thing he can remember was after it had sat a while he went to drive it around complex and it was slow to engage, no slipping just took a min. I just chalked that up to it sitting

Old 01-28-2019, 07:34 AM

Well I dropped the oil in the transmission again and it looked good, no metal in the oil or on the magnet. there was a very small amount of black residue from the dirty oil that came out of it on the first change around the magnet but it didn't shine on a rag in the sun so I'm not sure it was metal dust. I couldn't do a proper flush so I did it old school with the second fluid change. This makes me feel good as far as the trans not failing but i'm still kinda lost as to what is causing my grinding issue. I pulled the right front hub and it seemed to be a great shape, solid, no signs of any binding or catching when turning it. I didn't have time to pull the rear hubs or check the rear CV shafts but I did shake them good and the right rear one sounds dry as when I moved it in and out I could hear it inside the boots kind of clicking as the shaft moved in the splines. there was no up and down or side to side movement. it just felt dry. I guess I'll go after that next. I did pull the rear rotors and checked the emergency brakes to be sure nothing had broken inside them. that all looked good. I'm going to change the faulty ABS/Speed senor for the left rear wheel but I can't imagine that will have any effect other than to turn the ABS/EBS and traction control lights off
Any thoughts about this are welcome

Old 01-31-2019, 03:18 PM

I have to say I'm a bit surprised there hasn't been any more post.I was really expecting to have a handful of post with offerings as to what might be going on whether it be from past experience on personal cars or maybe from working on them. I'm going to keep this updated so that maybe someone down the line may find it helpful.
we had something new happen that I feel is going to lead me to the culprit. it has started doing this while at higher speeds now, it has done it 3 times now and I was in the car the last time
it just suddenly started slowing down, my wife starts pulling off the road and as the right wheels leave the road and go onto the outer lane the right rear wheel locked and skidded for a split second then let go. after that it was fine again. So I'm leaning toward the hub or even CV axle failing
I will break it down this weekend and see what I find and report back

Old 02-04-2019, 07:26 AM

OK this weekend I got the car up and first drained the rear diff. the oil was very clean and free of any metal
so I started tearing down the right rear, after removing the hub assy. I couldn't find any issues with it so I continued and removed the CV shaft
and low and behold there was the problem, even thought it looked fine, no tears in the boots and at first the movements seemed OK
on the wheel end you could make complete revolutions by turning it while at an angle as well as just bend in from end to end making the knuckle fully extend
BUT when I tried it on the diff end it would bind and lock in place and you would have to kind of yank it or hit it to break it loose

I replaced the ABS sensor and cleared the codes on it and they didn't come back so that should solve that issue

once I replace the CV axle and verify that was the problem I will post back

Old 02-05-2019, 03:31 AM

Well done on the good troubleshooting, it's nice to see the updates as you go along and will no doubt help others on the forum if they have the same issue.

Old 02-11-2019, 08:40 AM

so I got the new CV shaft installed on the right rear, and to my dismay it did not resolve my problem. The ABS light came back on as soon as I started driving the car
So I will hook the reader to it one day this week and see what is still active. the only wheel I haven't pulled down now is the left rear so it looks like that one is next
The original ABS code was on that wheel but because it was reading active implausible wheel speed while sitting still I was sure it was just the sensor
I had planned on replacing the left rear CV anyway but I really thought the grinding was coming from the right rear after what happened
Oh well I'll tear it down and see what I find

Quick Reply: 2007 300c trans issue ???