Chrysler 300, 300C & 300C SRT-8 The flagship of the Chrysler lineup offers the driver every bit of class of any European luxury sedan, combined with the availability of the Hemi, the engine which dominated the American Muscle Car Era

Chrysler 300 3.5 engine timing. Need help!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 05:55 PM
Default Chrysler 300 3.5 engine timing. Need help!!

Hello all,

I’ve encountered a problem in changing the timing belt and water pump on my 2007 Chrysler 300 with the 3.5 liter engine.
I reached the point where one would align the timing marks on the engine, but, instead I first removed the hydraulic tensioner. I quickly realized I needed to align the timing marks first and re-installed and tightened the tensioner. I never removed or moved the timing belt during this time though it gained a lot of slack upon removing the tensioner.
I then rotated the engine to line up the TDC mark and discovered that with TDC aligned neither of the cam timing marks lined up and they were both off by different amounts.
What can I do to fix this? Can I damage my engine by rotating it with the timing off by quite a bit? I don’t understand how the timing got so far off just by having the tension removed from the belt briefly. Any help and advice is greatly appreciated!!

Old 10-05-2018, 09:45 PM

You can turn them with a wrench safely.
The Magnum and 300 3.5 would be the same.
Watch the video, it has important tips to make the job a bit easier.

Last edited by BiliTheAxe; 10-06-2018 at 01:11 AM.
Old 10-06-2018, 06:49 AM
Smile

Every time I finally get fed up with this "sleepy" site something like this pops up. Many thanks. Guess I'll stick around a bit longer.

Old 10-06-2018, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by tarhealcracker
Every time I finally get fed up with this "sleepy" site something like this pops up. Many thanks. Guess I'll stick around a bit longer.
With forums such as this one that covers so many different models, it is hard to get enough regulars to answer every question that comes along.
Sadly, that means some peoples cry for help goes unanswered.
A lot of the people who do frequent forums, focus on forums that are dedicated more specifically to a model or something that they are more interested in.
I've seen people who are active on the more specific forums dedicated to Chrysler products posting here trying to help people, but not many have the time to do that.

I have a Chrysler 300C 5.7 Liter, so I spend more time at, https://www.300cforums.com/forums/
I have had in the past, a few 3.5 Liter Dodge Intrepids, and worked on a few other Chrysler products, but I am nowhere near being an expert on them.
That is why I come here, I answer what questions I can, and also learn by reading posts and learning solutions that may just help someone else out.

Everyone here answering questions, is a volunteer.

Old 10-06-2018, 05:13 PM
Wink

Originally Posted by tarhealcracker
I have only been using this site for one year, have lots of experience with the Caravan/T&C with over 25 years of owning various years. So most of my replies are related to them. Having the 2.5 V6 Avenger coupe of 1998 vintage also grabs my attention to the brother Sebrings. I am active on another forum that deals with the Avenger Sedans(yes they have a section for my coupe era ride), and learn a LOT about the SEDAN and brother 200 and similar Sebring. Which depending on the question I try and pass info along. BUT I don't have the firsthand knowledge of actually working with some features and motors of some models this site covers.
As stated before the site is mainly run by members volunteering what info they know, not a tech service on call 24/7 to answer ALL questions. And if people would spend some time searching posts already made, most things asked have already been covered in detail. Instead of just coming on and firing off questions. NOTE to other readers...A thank you response would be nice and update of how things went would be appreciated by those that go the mile to try and help you out!