Chrysler 300, 300C & 300C SRT-8 The flagship of the Chrysler lineup offers the driver every bit of class of any European luxury sedan, combined with the availability of the Hemi, the engine which dominated the American Muscle Car Era

Dual Temp Control Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 12:19 PM
Default Dual Temp Control Question

I have a 2009 300 Touring, and am curious about the air flow with the temp control on HI and on the Auto setting. What is the normal air flow through the vent ducts? I thought when I purchased the car new that the air flow would come out of all the vents (facial, and defrost-top of dash). During the summer time I would get cold air blowing out the facial vents with the system set on Auto and temp set to lowest temp. Now that winter is upon us I have set the control to Auto with the highest temp setting, but only get air circulation through the defrosters, never through the facial vents. What is normal? I talked to my dealer and he thought i should get air through both the defrost and facial vents with the Auto setting. Just curious what fellow owners have experienced.

Old 12-11-2009, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator

Read your owners manual it will tell u what its doing in an nut shell its working fine.

Old 12-11-2009, 04:55 PM

Yea ok, the manual was read and it does not say where the air is vented, but thanks for the response.

Old 12-11-2009, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator

right out of the owners manual

Operation of the system is quite simple. Begin by turning
the mode control **** (on the right) to AUTO, and place
the blower control **** (on the left) to either LO AUTO
or HI AUTO. The LO AUTO position should be used for
front seat occupants only. The HI AUTO position should
be used when more airflow is desired, or when rear seat
occupants are present. Then, dial in the temperature you
would like the system to maintain by rotating the driver
or passenger temperature control ****. Once the comfort
level is selected, the system will maintain that level
automatically using the heating system. Should the desired
comfort level require air conditioning, the system
will automatically make the adjustment.
You will experience the greatest efficiency by simply
allowing the system to function automatically. Selecting
the OFF position on the fan control stops the system
completely and closes the outside air intake.

Old 12-11-2009, 09:52 PM

There are vents under the dash that blow warm air out the bottom on your feet. When the system calls for heat nothing should come out the dash vents. Believe me, you don't want hot air blowing at your face in the winter.
On a cool but sunny day, the system may go into bi-level operation with warm air blowing on your feet and cooler air blowing out the dash vents to compensate for the sun load.
If you are truly not getting anything out except from the defroster, that could be a sign of a failure in the system, which is designed to default into defrost mode in case of failure. That's a safety factor designed to at least keep the windshield clear.

Old 12-12-2009, 06:37 AM

Chrysler Tech, once again you fail to impress. Yes that is straight from the owners manual, and exactly what I read the first time I opened the manual; however where does it say where the air is vented? That was basically the original question.Defrost, facial, or bi-level?

dcotter0579: Thanks for the explanation, it was very helpful.

Old 12-12-2009, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator

sorry if my credentials as a 14 year chrysler tech master ac and electrical does not impress u and give u any sorta idea that I know what I am talking about oh well cant win them all.

Old 12-21-2009, 02:22 AM

hi, just registered on site....had my toledo for around a month and getting a bit annoyed with dual climate control, having to operate both sides individually. Does anyone know if there are any settings which enable you to operate them both by the drivers side??

Old 12-21-2009, 03:06 PM

Check your owners manual for operating instructions, available at chrysler.com.

Why would you want to do that? You are defeating the whole purpose of the thing. Since you can't sit on both sides of the car at once, why would you need to adjust the temperature on both sides?

Anyway, the best way to operate the ATC is to set a temperature and leave it alone. The system is designed to bring the controlled zone to that temperature as quickly as reasonably possible and to maintain it there. The more you fuss with the temperature, the more you confuse the system.

Some people have the idea that you need to crank it up as soon as you start a cold car and then when it gets too hot, they open a window. Then they think the system is junk because they never get comfortable with the heater blasting out heat and the window open to freezing weather.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:07 AM

hmm, ok thanks, i guess ill be getting out the grinder here in a little bit then. any advice on doing that?

Quick Reply: Dual Temp Control Question