Chrysler 300, 300C & 300C SRT-8 The flagship of the Chrysler lineup offers the driver every bit of class of any European luxury sedan, combined with the availability of the Hemi, the engine which dominated the American Muscle Car Era

Engine codes,p0340 & p0725,2003,300M

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 01:06 AM
Default Engine codes,p0340 & p0725,2003,300M

Hi fellow Chrysler Gang. I have 2003 Chrysler, 300M with a 3.5 liter V-6. Yesterday I was driving down a surface street about 30 mph approaching an intersection preparing to make a left turn, when I heard a chime emit from my dash and then noticed my check engine light come on. I completed my left turn and began to accelerate slightly when the engine surged several times and acted like it was going to stall. I immediately let off the gas pedal and the engine resumed a smooth operation. I was on my way to a doctors appointment, so I drove very slowly down quiet streets to the appointment and then home late in the afternoon w/o any further problems (drove it slow,no fast stop & gos). Today I borrowed my neighbors scanner OBD II and obtained the two codes listed above. I checked P0340(M) Note! (M means= Malfunction Indicator Light) in my Chrysler Corporation Service Manual which indicated
a problem with the Camshaft Position Sensor. The othe code, P0725 indicated Engine Speed Sensor Circuit. Note! it did not have an "M" after it which according to my service manual, it and of it's self would not throw an "MIL". The service manual further explains that the code means that: Engine rpm was less than 300 or greater than 8000 for more than two seconds. My question is to those in the known like Kevin or a Master Mechanic, since my car only surged up and down momentarly and then I let go of the gas, does that explain the P0725 code?
Thanks. Al from Cali.

Old 04-19-2012, 05:36 AM
Super Moderator

put a cam sensor and both speed sensors in to start with

Old 04-19-2012, 09:25 PM
Default Engine codes,P0340 & P0725, 2003,300M

Thanks for the info Kevin. A little update. After I scanned for the codes yesterday, I turned the key off and unpluged the scanner. I then reconnected the scanner & turned on the key and received no more codes on the scanner. I then turned the ignition key to run and the dash cluster lights came on including the check enginge light. When I started the car, the check engine light went off. I then let the car warm up a little and then drove it around several blocks w/o any problems. I then drove it down a large, long blvd where I was able to accelerate up to about 60 mph and back w/o any malfunctions. Today, about 5:00pm, just B-4 I opened this forum, I started the car again with/out a check engine light coming on and drove it down a long county road at 50 to 65mph w/o any problems. (Note, I had my c-phone with me in case I had to call a tow truck). About a year and a half ago, the local dealership replaced the Camshaft Position Sensor for about $285. In that incident the car just stalled on the wife at an intersection three blocks from our house w/o any warning. Three men pushed her into a gas station and she called me at home on her cell phone. I was sicker than a dog with the flu and had a temperture and it was raining. Just as I finished putting on my rain gear to go in my truck, she called me again telling me she had just started the car, but the check engine light was on. She told me the car was running alright and I told her to take a chance, stay on the phone with me & drive it home. She talked with me all the way and arrived in about a minute and a half. In Sept, 2005 the damn thing also started to go out (surging) while I was traveling on the Highway out of town. Luckly, I was close to a nearby large city (30 miles away) and I was able to limp in to the Chrysler dealer. This also happened early in the AM, so they were able to get me in (9:00am) and I was out by 3:00pm. At the time it only cost me $100.00 with my extended service warranty. The reason I have included all this extra info in here is so that others might also know about the quirks of this troublesome Camshaft Position Sensor. Kevin in regards to my question about the Engine Speed Position Sensor, do you really think I have to replace them. There are two, and where are they located, I can't seem to locate them marked anywhere in my service manuel.
Thanks again. Al in Cali.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:14 AM
Super Moderator

then u might have this issue is there a recall on teh PCM software need the last 8 of your vin to chk

Emissions Recall J18
Reprogram Powertrain Control Module
2003-2004 (LH) Dodge Intrepid, Eagle Vision, Chrysler Concorde, LHS,
New Yorker and 300M
NOTE: This notification applies only to the above vehicles equipped with a 3.5L
engine (“G, K , M or V” in the 8th VIN position).
The catalytic converters on about 77,700 of the above vehicles may become
damaged from continued operation in “limp-in” mode following a camshaft
position sensor fault.
The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) must be reprogrammed (flashed) to
prevent potential catalytic converter failure.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:22 AM
Smile Engine codes,P0340 & P0725, 2003,300M

Kevin.
There was a J-18 recall done in July, 2010 by the local Chrysler dealer in which they reprogramed the Powertrain Control Module. Can you please tell me what you are referring to when you advise me to replace both Speed Sensors. I looked back & forth in my two inch thick Chrysler Service manuel for 2002 LHS,300M,CONCORDE,and INTREPID and the only thing that I can find are the Imput & Output speed sensors on the Transaxle. Are this the two speed sensors that you are advising to replace. Time for some aspirins.
Thanks Again Al in Cali.

Old 04-21-2012, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

They are the input a s out put speed sensors

Old 04-23-2012, 02:19 AM
Default Engine codes,P0340 & P0725, 2003,300M

Kevin ! Thanks.
I have a question. What do you think of the quality of the AIRTEX/WELLS Camshaft Position Sensors and thier Speed Sensors. I did some research on the company and my unstanding is that they manufacture OE electrical stuff for some of the big auto makers. I checked online prices at "ROCKAUTO" and a few others and "ROCKAUTO" carries Airtex/Wells and have the best prices compared to Factory "OEM".
Thanks Again. Al in Cali.