Chrysler 300, 300C & 300C SRT-8 The flagship of the Chrysler lineup offers the driver every bit of class of any European luxury sedan, combined with the availability of the Hemi, the engine which dominated the American Muscle Car Era

?power loss after-market sound system?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 07:47 PM
Default ?power loss after-market sound system?

I put in my dream audio and now the power of the engine is definitely lower, more gas, less power=unhappy me.

Audio people think an auxiliary battery will work, help the alternator a bit-but my mechanic said nothing (that's legal in CA) will fix it.

Help?

this girl is in love with her 300, and I can't bear the thought of doing damage to the engine for my sound addiction-

Old 04-07-2010, 06:27 PM

It is unusual that a sound system will effect the power of the engine so there is a lot in my mind that might be the cause!!!!

First lets start with the system:

What is the unites included eg. sub watts, amp watts, wiring type, head-unite, capacitor?

then about your car?

what is it (300/ 2.7, 3.5 or 300C 5.7, 6.1 AWD, RWD)?
Year of make?
any mods on the car might effect electricity?
mileage and please can you convert it to kilometer?
Dose the lights on the car blinks with the base hit or it just gets slightly dimmed?
After getting those Info I will be able to suggest any thing to fix your problem.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:47 PM

Cool, I'll get the specs to you and thanks in advance-
I can say that the lights beat with the music it is a 2006 6 cylinder RWD
76,00 miles excellent care oil changed regularly and no additional mods
convert later and all specs later
-girl

Old 04-08-2010, 07:42 PM

122310KM is a high mileage but a slight beat with the music is normal with the sound system installed if it is noticeable on the dashboard but not that bad on headlight.

now what I can think of based on what I have form you is a slow motion electricity circulate the name might seems like a big problem but it is not.

problem description:
this means that the electricity circuit is semi-open which usually cause the sensores on your engine to be not able to send signals to the ECU (Engine control unite) module which cause low performance If you have an EVIC on your dash and tried to get the codes you will notice that you have U codes such as U1122 etc....

problem usual cause:
this problem usually related to poor ground or to poor battery.

procedures to solve:
if your battery requires maintenance I mean the type that you have to Add distiled Water to it and it is more than 1.5 years old then it is the problem spot on your 300 all you have to do is to buy new battery that dose not require maintenance and cause you have that sound system on the car just buy one that is several amp. higher than the OEM so if OEM batt is 75 amps and you have like 650 watts amplifier just buy a batt that is 80 or 85 amps

thats one Idea about your problem as soon as i get all of the Information from you I will post another reply for you.

Old 04-12-2010, 12:54 AM

Okay, so I have a 900 watt and a 500 watt amp.
I'll have to take it in to see if the errors come up, but I think they would have last time I took into the dealer...
The battery has been in the vehicle since purchase in 2007, so perhaps it is as easy as that. I'll check the battery first thing tomorrow.
Did I give you all that you asked for? If it is as easy as getting a new battery that would be great!
There is a constant buzz in the speakers in the car, when there is no music on, which he says is because the alternator is wide open all the time? I hate the noise, but am more concerned about the very significant power loss and lower mileage.
Thanks sooo much for the help-
M

Old 04-12-2010, 12:57 AM

I guess I missed a few; is head unit the receiver? and capacitor? It is a pioneer premier

Old 04-12-2010, 06:28 AM
Super Moderator

u should have gotten a more powerful alternator because u are using more amps then what the car is designed for and the noise is the system is not grounded good enough.
When u change something there will always be an affect on the system u change the bigger the change the bigger the result on the system,

Old 04-12-2010, 02:46 PM

will I think that a 500Watts is not that big on your 300 I have tried 1050W on a 4 cylinder ford focus and it was fine. there is always a margin of extra power on any car alternator that goes from 5 amps to 25 amps depending on the engine consumption.
heavy power lose will result into engine shuts down even momently and it can be discovered using a multimeter that will give how many amps is that alternator produce.

a 2007 battery I think it is too bad and it is time to change and as I said more amps to that batt. will reduce effect of power drained by your system If you have a capacitor then that will ease the problem.

a battery that is this old and if it is a maintenance battery then you will have to check if the car system might dried the positive side.

what to do is :

first check the electricity if it is significantly low like if you have voltage feed that is under 13V while car is idle and no system is running then the problem is the alternator if the flow is above 13.4V and amps are fine then difinatly you have U codes in your ECU and that battery is the problem

grounding as Chrysler tech say is Important and it is important that you clean all the connectors in the trunk and under hood and tighten those bolts and clips.

any way check your battery and I had the same problem and worse in my 300C I had over 9 U codes and speedometer wasn't working top speed of my 300C was 45KM after changing that batt My car is really fine

Old 04-12-2010, 04:58 PM

well here is a video that will help you do the math for the amount of extra amps you need in your new battery but remmember that you have a capacitor so all you need from that math is half of it or even less so if you have OEM batt of 75amps and results say you need 110amps just go for 88amps so the extra amps will not fry your electrical system and it is still resonable

video URL is
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5MP5...eature=related

Old 04-13-2010, 06:45 PM

You Rock! I'm going to do all that you say-and I';ll let you know what happens!

M

Quick Reply: ?power loss after-market sound system?