Chrysler 300, 300C & 300C SRT-8 The flagship of the Chrysler lineup offers the driver every bit of class of any European luxury sedan, combined with the availability of the Hemi, the engine which dominated the American Muscle Car Era

Rebuild ECU for 2006 chrysler 300 touring

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 07:15 PM
Default Rebuild ECU for 2006 chrysler 300 touring

Well I'm the new guy here and was wondering if anyone has any insight on obtainting a PCM/ECU for a 2006 Chrysler 300 Touring. It seems I'm ny own worst enemy (not to mention this car seems to be full of booby traps). I had to replace the upper controls arms and I disconnected the ground on the passenger side shock tower to gain room. I put the ground back on but forgot to tighten it. When I went to start it, it ran like a turd for a second and shut off. After a look around is when I noticed the loose ground so I tightened it and everything seemed good. Went out for a ride to check my work and all was OK.

After an hour I went out again, got two block away and the MIL light up. Checked the codes and there are numerous O2 heater faults. took it to the dealer today and they spend the entire day diagnosing the problem, replacing o2 sensors and now concluded it needs a PCM and possibly a steering module.

So the total so far:

$500 for front end parts
$645 for the diagnosis and O2 sensors
and it will be $800 for the PCM

(boy did I save doing this myself!)

So it turns out the PCM's are on back order. I like many need my car for work (60 mile commute a day). It seems to run OK and the computer says the fuel mileage isn't that far off. I just let it idle a but longer to get heat into the O2 sensors.

Does any re manufacture these things? Dealer tells me you can't use a used one as they are specific to the vehicle. I don't buy that. Why cant the computer be erased and re-flashed? We do it all the time with robotic controller components.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Old 07-11-2011, 10:57 PM
Super Moderator

once a PCM has software in it u cant change it u can only update it and plus if U have a chip key the 4 number code has to also match up with the ones in the other computer in your car or it wont start up its basically a high tech alarm system.

Old 07-12-2011, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by CHRYSLER TECH
once a PCM has software in it u cant change it u can only update it and plus if U have a chip key the 4 number code has to also match up with the ones in the other computer in your car or it wont start up its basically a high tech alarm system.
Thanks, that makes a lot sense now. Well, all I can do is wait until the new PCM shows up. More mad at myself really. I put the ground back onbput must have got side tracked and forgot to tighten it.

Car still in good shape and hasn't given me any grief on it's own accord so I guess it's time to spend some money (had I tightened the ground it would have been significantly less)

Seems to be OK to drive, I just let it warm up a little while to get the O2 sensors hot. The mileage on the highway hasn't seem to change (7.9 litres for 100km)