Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

Aspen Differential Oil Change

Old 11-05-2008, 06:46 PM
Default Aspen Differential Oil Change

I have a '07 Aspen. The owners manual for schedule B says I should change the "axle oil" or what I call the differential oil EVERY 15000 miles! Plus, the rear diff requires synthetic, which is about $17/quart. A change requires about 70 oz or over two quarts. The front differential doesn't require synthetic for some reason, but it does not have a drain plug or even a filler hole in which to add oil or even check the level for that matter. A plastic nipple extends out from the diff. cover and a long rubber hose is connected to the nipple. It looks to me the oil is sucked out from the differential.

I called the dealer today to ask them about the service schedule.The owners manual on page 396 says the manufacturer does not recommend regular interval changes for normal truck use. Of course the service tech told me they recommended a change every 15000 mile "because oil breaks down" and when they do it they remove the back diff. cover to be sure and get all the old stuff out. So for a mere $99 they will do the front and a mere $150 morethey will do the rear. So $250 every 15 thousand miles. I find this to be a ridiculous change interval. Furthermore,I looked in my friends '97 Ford F 150 manual, and nowhere do they recommend EVER changing the differential oil. Also, another friend looked in hisFord Excursion manualand found that Ford says no change is neccessary if using synthetic.

So what is the deal here? Is this just some way to generate service workfor the shop ora way for Chryslerto void the Lifetime Warranty if you have not been changing your differential oil every 15K?I find it real hard to believethat differential oil, specially synthetic, has to be changedevery 15K!

Thanks.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:21 PM
Default RE: Aspen Differential Oil Change

synthetic fluid does not break down the dealer will use this as a money maker

Old 11-05-2008, 09:16 PM

xfire is right, synthetic does not break down, but to my knowledge, there are only two 100% synthetics... Mobil 1 and Amsoil. Others may claim that they are, but if you knew what kind of %age they need to call it a synthetic, it would amaze you. Switch to Mobil 1 or Amsoil, and NEVER change the oil again!

Old 11-06-2008, 09:54 AM

I have Mobil synthetic in the rear diff. as the owners manual calls for synthetic. I am curious why the front doesn't.

Also, if synthetic doesn't break down, do you use synthetic in your engine and never change it?

Does anybody have any experience with Chrysler differentials being weak or for any reason why does Chrysler recommends changing diff. oil that often?

I guarantee you nearly all of the vehicles on the road today have NEVER had their diff oil changed and i just don't hear of any one having diff. problems.

Old 11-06-2008, 11:35 AM

if you use synthetic oil in the engine the reason you change it is because of the dirt the oil picks up if you had a better
filtering system the oil would last a long time

Old 11-06-2008, 05:47 PM

I have done the "forever" oil change with Amsoil. Once a year, or so, I would change the filter and add a liter. I did this for 476 000 km (297 500mi), the car never had burning oil issues (worn out rings/valves), it always started, even in the coldest weather, it was much quiter, and fuel economy was improved... and to add, I was young, and beat the crap out of that car on adaily basis.
Black oil is a sign the the oil is doing it's job, taking the contaminates from the fuel,out of the engine. But... looking at pitch black oil isn't what most people are willing to accept. I do not know howlong Mobil 1 or Amsoil really do last, as I have never had my oil anylized. It would be seriously interesting tho. In a differential, thereare no contaminates.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:48 PM

i agree with you Al b the filter is most important to change

Old 12-21-2008, 06:09 PM

Make sure you fit the criteria for that service schedule before you spring for the service. If you're not towing or kicking the heck out of your vehicle, you can use the other service schedule, which calls for service every 6k and NEVER specifically calls for changing the diff. oil. It lists it as an inspection item only.

If you are towing or really putting your vehicle through its paces with long trips in hot/cold climates, etc., then I would go ahead and have the service done. I'm sure you can use a local mechanic and get great service for less $$ if the dealer's service fees bother you.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:23 AM

Schedule B includes some of the following:
- stop and go driving
- short trips of less than 10 miles
- day or night tempetratures are below 32 f

NOTE- Most vehicles are operated under the conditions listed for Schedule "B"

Therefore I am looking at Schedule B. Therefore every 15K for a "front and rear axle fluid change" I just can't believe this is necessary. Especially since rear calls for synthetic.

My '98 dodge Ram 1500 has the same change intervals. This seems to be unique to the Chrysler products, as my friends who drive Ford don't find the same guidelines in their OM's.

Old 01-04-2009, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator

the fluid just like oil will get Dirty U change it yourself at 15K see how dirty it is. WHen I change them at 15 they are gray.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Aspen Differential Oil Change