Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

Aspen suspension replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 09:55 PM
Default Aspen suspension replacement

Hi all,

This is my first post and thanks for all the great info.

I have an 2007 Aspen and like so many others I experience rear end skip in certain situations, I also have significant roll when towing a 24 foot travel trailer at approx. 4500 lbs. I do use a load leveling hitch.

I see in the forums, reference to replacing the suspension with either Munroe or Bilstein, I have not been able to determine which ones will perform better.

If anyone can provide feedback on the better choice, I would appreciate it.

Cheers

Phil

Old 02-16-2011, 06:55 AM

I replaced my shocks with Bilsteins and they are extremely stiff. I can feel every single bump in the road. Good quality shocks, but extremely stiff. In my experience, Monroe's are good for about 40K (the ranchos are considerably better quality). Bilsteins are good for 80K or better.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by conversion02
I replaced my shocks with Bilsteins and they are extremely stiff. I can feel every single bump in the road. Good quality shocks, but extremely stiff. In my experience, Monroe's are good for about 40K (the ranchos are considerably better quality). Bilsteins are good for 80K or better.
+1 to all of that. I put Bilstein HD shocks on my Aspen last year after tiring of wallowing around for two years. The stock shocks in the rear were already dead at 40k, which is pretty pathetic.

The Bilsteins are heavy duty shocks, and are definitely stiff. I loaded up the Aspen for a long trip, and they smoothed right out. These shocks are made to carry a load without sag, which is nice. I suspect they'd also be fantastic for towing.

In any case, the truck is very buttoned down now. It doesn't lean much in corners considering the size of the vehicle, and it can be driven much faster confidently than it could with the stock shocks. The uneven tire wear I was experiencing with the OEM shocks also went away.

Monroe shocks are comparable with OEM, and should provide a softer ride at the expense of longevity and handling. Generally speaking, stiffer shocks handle better, and the opposite is also true.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:32 PM

Thanks for the responses, has anyone tried Monroe's?

Old 03-03-2012, 04:07 PM

i just put the monroe reflex on and noticed a big difference. it relieved the wheel hop and smoothed out the ride. I don't pull a trailer so I did not use the HD rear shocks.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:48 PM

One thing about the Monro shocks that they have a lifteime replacement warranty. If you have them installed at a shop most of them offer the same on suspension parts. Keeping this in mind you will pay more to have them installed versus DIY but when they wear out in 40k you can have them replaced under there warranty. I just purchased the Monro reflex this weekend but have not installed them yet.I do not know what the Bilstein warranty is,but it is food for thought. My Aspen is at the dealer having the pass. side manifold gasket replaced due to leaking.Question, how the h*** are you guys getting 18mpg, The best iI ever got was 15mpg on the highway. Hope this helps.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:57 AM

I'm happy with my Bilsteins, just like most everyone else who had commented.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:59 AM

Thanks for the responses everyone! Greatly Appreciated.

I went with Monroe Reflex all the way around and the ride remains very civilized. They have taken care of the wheel hop and pulling a trailer is far superior from what it was.

Thanks again

Old 03-16-2012, 02:52 PM
Smile 2007 Chrysler Aspen Hemi 5.7l with Tow Package

Hello everyone...

Thanks for the advice. I just installed 4 Monroe Reflex shocks on my 2007 Aspen and was told I have a lifetime waranty on them.

One thing I have to add is please keep posting your experiences on this forum. It seems this is the only place to find good info on our Aspens.

Old 03-16-2014, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Amosburnel1
One thing about the Monro shocks that they have a lifteime replacement warranty. If you have them installed at a shop most of them offer the same on suspension parts. Keeping this in mind you will pay more to have them installed versus DIY but when they wear out in 40k you can have them replaced under there warranty. I just purchased the Monro reflex this weekend but have not installed them yet.I do not know what the Bilstein warranty is,but it is food for thought. My Aspen is at the dealer having the pass. side manifold gasket replaced due to leaking.Question, how the h*** are you guys getting 18mpg, The best iI ever got was 15mpg on the highway. Hope this helps.
If you have the 3.92 rear diff that will drop your mileage. I have the 3:55 and have gotten as high as 23 mpg but usually 20-21 is the average on the highway. Around town with a hemi is a different story.

Quick Reply: Aspen suspension replacement