Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

Automatic rear tailgate - design oversight

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 09:08 PM
Default Automatic rear tailgate - design oversight

I drove a Lexus RX350 a week ago, and it had an automatic tailgate similar to the Aspen. However, Toyota was smart enough to include a large button back there on the interior of the vehicle that you can press to lower the tailgate. Chrysler apparently skipped this step in favor of having the button near the sunroof controls and on the keyfob, but it would have been a nice convenience to have it back there as well.

The other oddity I notice about the rear tailgate is that manually opening it will cause it to spring open with some force. I'm surprised the engineers didn't dampen that a bit before releasing it to the public.

No real question here - just an observation after 5 months of ownership.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by 15951a\
I drove a Lexus RX350 a week ago, and it had an automatic tailgate similar to the Aspen. However, Toyota was smart enough to include a large button back there on the interior of the vehicle that you can press to lower the tailgate. Chrysler apparently skipped this step in favor of having the button near the sunroof controls and on the keyfob, but it would have been a nice convenience to have it back there as well.

The other oddity I notice about the rear tailgate is that manually opening it will cause it to spring open with some force. I'm surprised the engineers didn't dampen that a bit before releasing it to the public.

No real question here - just an observation after 5 months of ownership.
I dont know whats going on with yours but I dont see your point!!! I dont have the problems your stating about spring loaded tailgate...

Old 05-04-2009, 09:22 PM

I don't have the spring loaded t/gate either. but I do wish there was a button at the gate to close it... not that I'm lazy or anything.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:47 AM

I agree with you "159..." on both accounts. When I first brought my Aspen home I looked all over for a button to close the hatch. I figured for all that money and their flagship SUV, there must be a button somewhere. Of course I never found one. Also, the hatch does open with quickly and with some force. I make sure that my head and everything else is out of the way when I pull the handle.

Old 05-08-2009, 04:34 PM

What is even more weird is that the Pacifica had that button... not just a Lexus. Why they eliminated it on the newer Aspen is a mystery...

Old 05-16-2009, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by nightingales
What is even more weird is that the Pacifica had that button... not just a Lexus. Why they eliminated it on the newer Aspen is a mystery...
I love my Aspen but I think Chrysler was just being cheap/lazy and just photo copied the Durango & added chrome & woodgrain. The tailgate is no big deal to me but that d@mn steering column shifter is sh!tty. I'm going to replace mine. A nice luxury console/floor shifter like the ones in Escalades,navigators & even KIAs would've been nice. Even F-150s havecenter console shifters, WTF Chrysler!?! Maybe they saw this bankruptcy situation coming and cut back on the Luxury.

Other than that I love my Aspen.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:19 PM

That button in the cargo area would be terrible for me. My two dogs would have the tailgate open in an heartbeat.

Old 05-25-2009, 08:21 PM

Speaking of which... my wife opened the gate with the button at the sunroof, forgot the dog was back there, she remembered he was back there at the last instant, and darted for the gate, and he was ready to dart!

Old 05-31-2009, 11:24 PM
Default Same with me....I still reach for the button that doesn't exist!

I had a Nissan Quest for 5 years before my Aspen and that was the first automatic gate I'd ever had on a vehicle. I LOVED that feature... it was great to have it open when I was getting closer to the vehicle with groceries and such. Also a fun feature when people were walking absent-mindedly next to my van and I'd just press the key fob to make it start opening and scare folks. LOL! I'm rotten! Anyhow...when I got the Aspen a few months ago, I searched all over the back area for "the button", but alas it was not to be found. I started shutting the hatch with my own darned two hands but found that left freaky handprints on the dust that continually coats my black vehicle so I started to use the key fob instead. Sure would have been a nice, not too expensive touch for Chrysler to add. Duh on their part!