Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

Burning rubber smell

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 03:38 PM
Default Burning rubber smell

I get a burning rubber smell from the back of the vehicle from time to time...has any one else expereinced this.....

Old 02-24-2009, 06:16 PM

Nope, sorry to say I haven't had any burning rubber smell on my Aspen. Is the smell when you are driving, or when you stop and get out?

Old 02-24-2009, 07:38 PM

Does this happen after flooring it?

If you're smelling anything similar to plastic, take a look underneath the vehicle to make sure you haven't picked up any plastic grocery bags that are melted to the exhaust.

If it's truly a rubber smell, I'm at a loss. Is the vehicle new? This is a long shot, but make sure the wheel well liner isn't loose. A tire rubbing against that for an extended period of time could cause what you're describing. Most other rubber smells would be from the engine compartment - a belt that's out of alignment and rubbing, etc.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:56 PM

H A H A This reminds me of my sister in-law with her Civic. Same problem, burning smell, took it to the dealer, AND IT WAS a grocery bag!! Cost her an hour repair time to find that out too! LOL

Originally Posted by 15951a\
If you're smelling anything similar to plastic, take a look underneath the vehicle to make sure you haven't picked up any plastic grocery bags that are melted to the exhaust.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:41 PM

are you spinning the tires just a joke

Old 02-25-2009, 08:33 PM

Here's my 07 Aspen when I had a burning smell in it, as soon as I stopped it burst into flames came right thru the dash, and burned my hair, and face I got out just in time, never found a cause since everything burned up so bad, even melted the heads on it, total loss

Attached Thumbnails Burning rubber smell-carfire-3.jpg  
Old 02-25-2009, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by hardtop
Here's my 07 Aspen when I had a burning smell in it, as soon as I stopped it burst into flames came right thru the dash, and burned my hair, and face I got out just in time, never found a cause since everything burned up so bad, even melted the heads on it, total loss
This is what happens when you don't use midgrade fuel in a Hemi engine.

Kidding. Clearly something extraordinary happened here, but this is the first problem of its kind I've heard of with any recent Chrysler vehicles.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:10 AM

I also get that smell from time to time. From the rear of the vehicle too. Almost like it may be a gasket or something that holds the exhaust. I dont know.

Old 02-28-2009, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by 15951a\
This is what happens when you don't use midgrade fuel in a Hemi engine.

Kidding. Clearly something extraordinary happened here, but this is the first problem of its kind I've heard of with any recent Chrysler vehicles.
Thanks for the chuckle 1595!

Hardtop, WOW. Good to hear you got out OK. Sorry to see you Aspen up in flames. Maybe this burning smell should be taken more seriously??

Old 02-28-2009, 07:00 PM

maybe your fuel line caught on something???

Quick Reply: Burning rubber smell