Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

Chrysler Tech ---HELP! Video link inside!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 02:15 AM
Angry Chrysler Tech ---HELP! Video link inside!

I have posted about a month ago about the "gremlins" in my Aspen. Alarm goes off randomly, the car turns the radio and interior lights on by itself. If I attempt to start the car, it will start just fine but you can't shut it off!!! You can pull the key out and walk away while the car is running. I have visited the dealer on 2 separate occasions - no codes, no problems. Finally, I was able to "record" this unfortunate event so others can see and give me lead here. I have been able to get my hands on a DRB III, I pulled codes in every module. The only thing I found was a: lost communication with radio...Any input is welcome at this point as the issue is getting worse. Take a look at the video link. It is filmed right after the alarm goes off and I shut it off via remote.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzuD9GhjKik

Old 01-04-2011, 06:26 AM
Super Moderator

key cyl or ign switch issue and a DRB3 wont work on an aspen u need a star scan or star mobile

Old 01-04-2011, 12:37 PM

Ign. cylinder was my first guess too. But why would that turn on the radio and interior lights by itself? Maybe it does a "ignition -on" without the key being present? Is there a re-learn procedure on the lock/ignition/keys? I have located someone that has a star scan, what menu should I go into?

Old 01-04-2011, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator

not a key cyl but the ign switch more likely that is what powers all the items up a star scan will tell u if the computer see the ign switch in run/acc position
engine,then sensor or input/output

Old 01-04-2011, 05:43 PM

Kevin, last night I could not get the thing to turn off at all. Usually the gremlins disappear within a 20min period of driving or idling. Last night, nothing worked. I drove the car home from the shop and I tried to read live stream to see if I get any codes or anomalies. As soon as plugged in the scanner in the OBDII connection, the car acted normally and shut off! Almost as if there was a surge, and plugging the OBD - released it. Today, it did the same thing again and I started taking panels off to see if anything is physically wrong...(connections, unplugged etc.). Since I had a "no communication with the radio" I figured maybe I should unplug that also when the "gremlins" are there. I pulled the radio console bezel out, left the radio in and set the alarm. Sure enough, 2 hours later - it triggered. Lights were on, radio on. I started the car, tried to shut it off but could not. I turned the ignition key to OFF (the car is still running at this point) and unplugged the radio. Nothing happened. Plugged the radio back in and tried to snap the bezel back in place. The bezel takes a little force to get the two tabs at the top back in. When I hit the bezel (fist) to get it secured - The car SHUT OFF! The only thing that is in the bezel area, behind the analog clock is the antenna for the GPS and another...Is this a simple coincidence or? It has not acted up since, so now I am waiting...

Old 01-04-2011, 09:29 PM

Year????

That looks like a "LOCKED BUSS" to me.......Scan tools "RIDE" on top of the communication buss at the DLC......If it functions normally with the tool connected....Its a pretty sure bet the OFFENDING COMM LINE is being interrupted.

Remote start??? aftermarket alarm???

Disconnect both battery terminals, count to ten.......and THEN TOUCH THEM TOGETHER......Reconnect the battery and re-evaluate.

Depending on the year......You Dont have a "HARDWIRED" ignition switch....You have a Variable resistance switch that communicates along a Network , and informs your Power Distribution center (Called a TIPM) that "KEY STATE " has changed. If That Network communication is Corrupted, eithr by electrical interference, or a Module sharing the Buss (ie...Your RADIO )...TIPM does not see a valid change in key position....And doesnt know any better...He "Thinks the key is still turned on".

Old 01-04-2011, 10:10 PM

2008 Chrysler ASPEN, Limited. No Remote start (although the relay is there - the Vin shows it as a non-remote start), no aftermarket alarm, no aftermarket radio...I just had it at the dealer again - of course it didn't do it. It just did a minute ago! the crazy thing is - like I mentioned in the last post - I turn off the car's ignition (the car is still running), but if I apply a swift "fist" to the center console - right above the clock --- IT SHUTS OFF! I bought the car new - never had an issue, 59800K miles. I will try to tape this crazy thing tomorrow again, meanwhile I will disconnect the battery (it drives the neighbors crazy!!1)

Old 01-05-2011, 02:15 PM

Ok - I couldn't take it anymore and I took every panel out. I think I found the culprit!!! When the car is running with the key in the OFF position, If I tug on any of the wires in the pictures - IT STOPS! Now, could someone tell me WTF is this? It seems that is interconnected into the OBD connector, it has 2 antennas etc. etc. Look at the pics!

Attached Thumbnails Chrysler Tech ---HELP!  Video link inside!-img_20110105_120112.jpg   Chrysler Tech ---HELP!  Video link inside!-img_20110105_120126.jpg   Chrysler Tech ---HELP!  Video link inside!-img_20110105_120211.jpg   Chrysler Tech ---HELP!  Video link inside!-img_20110105_120257.jpg  
Old 01-05-2011, 02:48 PM

Ok, ...My memory just punched me in the face. I saw this happen on a Dodge Nitro with an aftermarket DVD screen. There was an interference "CHOKE" in the power wire to the player that had burned up, and the Capacitance kept the vehicle running....

Im not sure what that is, but it certainly IS NOT a factory installed Item.....

Did you have a "U-Connect " system installed??? Or Possibly a "Tracker" installed by your finance company???? I would more likely think that is the case....Which would mean...YOU WANT THEM TO REIMBURSE YOUR INCONVIENIENCE AND DIAGNOSTIC TIME SPENT AT THE DEALERSHIP!!!!!!!

PIC #3...remove the little purple fuse from the holder , and see if that helps.....You may also expect a phone call from your bank, that they can no longer track your vehicle........... Or ...MAYBE....Hmmm...did you have a "Lo-Jack" installed????

Last edited by Djinn-n-Tonic; 01-05-2011 at 02:52 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:02 PM

Car paid for in CASH...Bought in 2008 from Budget VIP rental fleet...LoJack as as a gift from Budget?

Quick Reply: Chrysler Tech ---HELP! Video link inside!