Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

Cold Air Intake for 2009 Aspen 5.7L

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 11:00 AM

CC, I did a few searches and yes there were lifter/cam issues with the 5.7 Hemi- even to the point of a safey recall, however I did not see anything that said the Aspen was involved. I didn't realize how the MDS worked but now I have a pretty good idea, apparently it's all in the lifters.

Old 08-20-2017, 12:31 PM

Interesting. Might have to look further in to that one.

As promised, here are photos of my OEM intake system.

Air cleaner body. Two bolts holds it to fender.

Air cleaner top. Note the breather tube connecting to top. This runs to oil filler tube.

Air duct from air cleaner to intake box. Also has a second baffle which just sets on top of radiator. Not exactly sure what this does. Looks to me like it would add heat to the air.

Other end of breather tube that plugs in to oil filler tube.

Air intake box. Think it only had two bolts holding it on. The sensor plugged in to the bottom front of this box. Sorry, didn't get a picture of that.

Back side of air intake box which plugs in to the intake manifold.

All components laid out.

So there you have it. If your intake system resembles this one, I believe you can get the system for the 07-08 to work. Main things to look at here are the breather tube going from the air cleaner box to the oil filler tube (it comes with a new rubber hose which connects the oil filler tube to the new air tube), the sensor plugging in to the front of the intake box (new system comes with a rubber grommet which goes in a hole in the new tube and sensor simply plugs in to grommet) and of course, the connection on the front of the intake manifold. If it doesn't have the secondary baffle on top of the radiator I wouldn't worry about that. It's removed anyway and nothing goes back in it's place. One extra note here. The new system had a heat shield installed which attached to a bolt on the frame for the sway bar and two bolts on the radiator mount. I had to use new bolts for the radiator as the factory ones were not long enough and it did not come with replacements.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-21-2017, 06:27 AM

Thank you CC. I've uploaded several pictures and still waiting for my email to catch up so I can post a few more.

Looks like the biggest difference that I've notice so far is the angle of the throttle body opening and where the opening resides. It appears that your throttle body opening is set at an angle facing the front of the engine but the apparatus itself is set towards the rear of the intake (Back of the engine).

While, the one I have, the throttle body opening is set straight towards the sky and resides near the front of the intake/ front of the engine.

Is this what you see as well?

Attached Thumbnails Cold Air Intake for 2009 Aspen 5.7L-20170820_171121.jpg   Cold Air Intake for 2009 Aspen 5.7L-20170820_171132.jpg   Cold Air Intake for 2009 Aspen 5.7L-20170820_171643.jpg  
Old 08-21-2017, 08:19 AM

Here is the last picture from this weekend, exhibiting the Throttle Body front center, with the opening facing straight up.

Attached Thumbnails Cold Air Intake for 2009 Aspen 5.7L-20170820_171612.jpg  
Old 08-22-2017, 04:57 AM

OUCH! There is the difference we've been looking for. Yes, mine is towards the back by the firewall and aims straight forward. Sorry to say, but the kit for the 07-08 will not work with that. Simply does not bend that way. Kinda odd that they would change the TB for one year like that. Then again, they probably weren't expecting the Aspen to discontinue at the time either. Since it was only one year like that, this explains why no companies make a kit for it. Not enough demand.

Looks like that will be a custom job. I do know their are shops that do this kind of custom work. However, the only ones I know personally are down here in Dallas. Might check with local car clubs and such who customize their cars and ask about local shops for help. The main difference is the tubing. I did verify that we do have the same air filter box so placing the filter itself in the same location will work. Just need the custom tubing from the filter to the TB.

Old 08-22-2017, 05:58 AM

Roger all, well it looks like we've identified this for the benefit of all. I'll conduct a few searches for custom intakes in my area and post what I find. If I can find a shop that has reasonable prices and great reviews I'll have the work done and post pictures.

I appreciate all your help in "troubleshooting" the differences between the years and the systems.

Old 11-25-2018, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by calamity coyote
I have the AEM on my 08 (21-8216DC) and I love it. They only offer it for the 5.7L. I've also got the AEM on my 03 Accord. Easy to install (about 30 min) and works great.

It is odd that they don't list one for the 09. I even tried to cross reference it with the Durango and they don't show any options for the 09-10 either. It changes to a new part in 2011. As far as I know, the same motor was used in the entire line of the Aspens from 07-09.

Personally I would try to Contact them and ask if they have something that will fit. I'm sure it will be the same one. Look them up at AEMintakes.com.
Sorry for late response but what differences did you notice after the cold air kit? I was considering one and a freer flowing cat back exhaust.

Old 11-25-2018, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by rowekmr
Sorry for late response but what differences did you notice after the cold air kit? I was considering one and a freer flowing cat back exhaust.
Well, I can't really say much as far as difference since I only had the truck for just over a month (48 days) and only ran 540 miles before I installed the CAI. I also installed a Magnaflow Cat-Back exhaust at the same time. So I didn't have much data before for comparison. I tried to do a before and after video of the exhaust with my go-pro, but my memory card failed. Biggest thing I can say is the sound with the two combined. It is deeper and louder than factory. Especially when you punch it. My fuel average is between 14-16 depending on my driving patterns. Most of which is highway driving, but I do have about 5 miles of back woods country roads which eat in to that along with my 1/4 mile private road that I idle down due to roughness and dust.

I'd say the other big plus with the intake is when you go to work on the engine. With all that extra plastic out of the way, it is easier to get to the top of the motor. Haha.

Last edited by calamity coyote; 11-25-2018 at 01:04 PM.
Old 05-01-2021, 09:00 PM

i have k&n on mine

Old 05-03-2021, 09:35 AM

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake for 2009 Aspen 5.7L