Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

Done with my Aspen....it's going!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 07:18 AM
Default Done with my Aspen....it's going!

So, we got our Aspen January 2007, just what we wanted and with all the chrome was a real looker!
We got just about every extra so the cost was a little over $45k, I really thought we were getting a quality SUV but after 2 years can report this thing is nothing than a pig with lipstick and I am feeling so lucky I had it on lease rather than finance so I can cut my losses.
A quick rundown of our experiences to date; first the quality issues, once you look past the ‘bling’ you can see this is not a luxury SUV at all. Within the first 12 months the transmission started making a thudding noise and you could feel a jerking where slack was being taken up at very low speeds, as in slow moving traffic. The dealer looked at it at one of the many 3000 mile services I attended and reported normal operations for the Aspen. This has slowly gotten worse and now often happens at fast speeds when gear changes take place (30-40mph). The tires would be deemed illegal if I was in the UK (yeah I am a Brit living in the US and hence my desire to get a good US car (SUV) when I came over), but just past inspection? They are very unevenly worn both across the tire and vary greatly between tires!! I have seen lots of posts regarding these OEM tires and how poorly they wear! (This will be my next argument with the dealer in a few weeks when I return it I’m sure)
I am also sure the replacement with a good tire would have made a lot of difference to the overall experience including road noise and handling but the impression I am left with is that Chrysler has cut costs by cutting quality.
Even with the HEMI 5.7 and it’s whatever technology to shut down 4 of the 8 pots to save on fuel, we have struggled to get 11mpg out of this thing so costs have been high. We don’t tow anything so all that power is wasted really, but on the other hand if I went out to buy a truck for towing I would not have paid over $45k!
Now, I do feel for anyone that has one of these and I hope your pleasure and experiences have been better than mine. I think the writing is on the wall though and personally I am ditching this thing as fast as I can. I went through a situation where a car manufacture was going bust in the UK (Rover) and the same thing happened that seems to be starting here, parts availability, dealers pulling out and prices dropping through the floor.
It has left me with a very bitter taste as far as domestics, just picked up my new Mercedes (GLK350 for the wife to replace the Aspen) and for less money! I can report a 1000% improvement! If you don’t believe me go test drive one. Power, handling, quality engineering and 21st century technology such as synthetic oils that only need replacement every 10,000 miles (yes this has been around for a number of years and is MUCH better for your engine than the crap I saw put in my Aspen!)
There is life after Mercedes but my point is there are much better options out there than Chrysler seem to be offering. The real deal breaker for me were these forums, is see much misery here, go look at the Mercedes forum (and I am sure other quality car makers) and its completely the opposite, users there are raving about their cars.

Old 02-21-2009, 05:21 PM
Wow, sorry about your experience. There are a few things I would agree with you on this vehicle, and a few things that I wouldn't. I have been a GM and Honda man my whole life. I bought a Dodge Ram because of the Mega Cab, darn thing is just huge. I drove the Dodge for 6 months or so, then sold my GM truck. I will not go back to GM. The fit and finish of the Ram is excellent, and the reliablitly of the truck is outstanding (another story). I work in the automotive industry and see every type of vehicle out there, and being a Honda guy from day ONE, I have watched Honda take a dive since they were built here in North America (I must note, Not ONLY Honda's have fallen), and since the Ram is such a decent vehicle, I bought an Aspen expecting the same. (The Honda pilot was another $13 000 for the same options, and didn't have all the options the Aspen has) I was disappointed with fit and finish of the exterior and the interior of the Aspen and my fuel economy is compareable to a non Variable Cylinder V-6 motor, by any manufactuer. The dealer has worked with me on my "pickyness" of the fit and finish, (I know Honda would not work with anyone on such items as I do warranty work for Honda/Acura). I also would add, that if you pay attention to the European vehicles, there are flaws there as well. I guess it all depends on your experience and how neutral of a judge you are of whatever vehicle you are commenting on.

I thank your for your input, as I will watch for the symptoms of what you reported in my Aspen. Hope you like your Mercedes.

Old 02-21-2009, 06:04 PM

sorry to hear about all your problems,i have a 2008 with 17.000 mile this has been one of the best vehicles i have owned, i would replace it with another aspen if i had too. good luck with your new ride.

Old 02-21-2009, 06:07 PM

You know, we are having the same kind of issues you have had. We bought a 2009 Aspen with all the bells and whistles in December 2008 and to date we have had the transmission replaced, memory seat module replaced, and the brake assembly replaced. we are also feeling the same "jerking" feeling you have at low speeds but the dealer says it is operating normally. I hope we don't have any more problems because we do really like the Aspen. We are crossing our fingers.

Good luck with your new vehicle.

Old 02-21-2009, 06:14 PM

My $0.02:

1. The Aspen is not a Luxury vehicle, it's just an upmarket SUV. It fills an "in between" niche for those of us that want something a little more polished than the Durango but would feel like a jackass driving an Escalade. If you paid sticker for your Aspen, you got hosed.

2. The tires on the Aspen - assuming you have the OEM Wrangler SRA - are fantastic. They wear well, grip well, and I have zero complaints with them. This is coming from someone that has replaced NEW tires on vehicles because they don't handle or ride like I expected them to.

3. If your tires are wearing unevenly as you state, and you are rotating them and keeping proper pressures, then something is clearly wrong. Either the alignment is out, or something worse.

4. I have no transmission clunk w/22k miles, so I'd say there's definitely an issue there. If I were you, I would have either escalated the issue to corporate or tried a different dealer service department. The one you were going to was clearly not interested or capable of helping you.

5. A 5,000 pound vehicle will have crappy mileage, regardless of cylinder deactivation technology. If you're doing stop and go driving around town, your mileage will be horrible. This is a fact of life with a huge vehicle with three rows that can tow thousands of pounds.

6. If you had no intention of towing and no need for the Hemi engine, there were 2 other engine options available for the 2007, including a 6 cylinder engine that would have possibly helped alleviate your fuel mileage complaint.

7. If you're upset about the problems you've had with your Chrysler product, wait until you get a year or two into the ownership "experience" with your Mercedes. I have two friends that have late model Mercedes, and they have both had nightmare experiences with cost of maintenance, electrical gremlins, and rattles. I hope your experience is better.

In the end, you have made the decision right for you. However, the tone of your post suggests that the Aspen just wasn't a good choice for you, regardless of transmission and tire issues.

Finally, please consider that Mercedes and other German car owners are practically bound by covenant to "rave" about their cars, even though they have as many or more problems than any other brand. I'm convinced it's in the purchase agreement somewhere, based on the delirious happiness I see from BMW owners, even as their cars are being towed to the dealer.

Last edited by 15951a\; 02-21-2009 at 06:26 PM.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:45 PM

i didnt know the aspen offered a 6 cylinder engine,i thought they just had the flex fuel or the hemi,

Old 02-21-2009, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by valleybill55@aol.com
i didnt know the aspen offered a 6 cylinder engine,i thought they just had the flex fuel or the hemi,
I think you're right - I was confusing it with a 2007 Durango I rented for a week that had a 6 cyl engine. It was a bore to drive, but got pretty solid gas mileage.

The opposite is true of the Hemi in my 08 - fun to drive, but the gas mileage is horrible, even on the highway.

Old 02-21-2009, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by 15951a\
My $0.02:

1. The Aspen is not a Luxury vehicle, it's just an upmarket SUV. It fills an "in between" niche for those of us that want something a little more polished than the Durango but would feel like a jackass driving an Escalade. If you paid sticker for your Aspen, you got hosed.

2. The tires on the Aspen - assuming you have the OEM Wrangler SRA - are fantastic. They wear well, grip well, and I have zero complaints with them. This is coming from someone that has replaced NEW tires on vehicles because they don't handle or ride like I expected them to.

3. If your tires are wearing unevenly as you state, and you are rotating them and keeping proper pressures, then something is clearly wrong. Either the alignment is out, or something worse.
Good points and I don’t disagree I have had some enjoyment owning the Aspen, just not as much as I expected J

I will say on point 1 Chrysler was the one’s selling this as a ‘Luxury’ SUV, check out the press kit briefing issued for the launch.

On Point 2 there is a LOT of people with issues on that tire (Wangler HP), check this thread….a few rave but in between them a lot of issues…

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...142&vid=010775

And on point 3, I have had my Aspen serviced as per the book and insisted that the service center check off and sign everything each time including tire rotations, alignment etc. I also check the pressure regularly, in fact that is one of the issues with this substandard OEM tire, is bleeds air really bad compared to a good quality one.

On another note, I did purchase the front and read mud flaps for the Aspen but never fitted them, the wife was not sure if she really wanted them on. Anyway, if anyone here wants them let me know, pay shipping and they are yours! If not I’ll stick ‘em on ebay rather than throw them out.

Last edited by Mr_Slugger; 02-21-2009 at 09:10 PM.
Old 02-22-2009, 02:07 AM

I'm sorry to hear that you haven't been happy with your Aspen. You're done with yours but I'm just starting with mine! I just got home from purchasing a used 2007 Aspen, found it online and drove 4 hours each way to another state to get it. The drive home was perfect. I have to read the owners manual to familiarize myself with it better though. I am interested in the mudflaps if you can let me know what you're asking for them?
As far as being disappointed in your vehicle, I hope you have better luck with your Mercedes than I did with mine...it was a money pit. I bought it because of the German-built reputation but it had one thing after another go wrong with it and I will warn you, Mercedes figures that if you can afford the initial high $$$ investment of purchasing their car, then you can afford the outrageous cost for parts and service you'll be needing. For example, I asked if there was anything they could do to tighten up the passenger visor because it would continually droop down. They said they'd have to order a visor assembly at the cost of nearly $300 (for ONE simple visor!!) I politely told the dapper gentleman, "No thanks. I'll use duct tape" and smiled at his horrified expression! (no I didn't use duct tape but the comment was worthwhile!)
I just returned a leased Nissan Quest that was a candidate for the Lemon Law. It was my first and last Nissan (which must be Japanese for "sucker!"). I have owned 3 Mazdas, which I liked, 2 Honda's which I LOVED and still miss my '87 Honda Civic (had over 200,000 miles and hubby made me sell it...ya just couldn't kill that darlin'!), a PT Cruiser (loved the style but not much else), two Chevy's, a Mercury, a '98 Dodge Ram 1500 for my teenage son and two Durangos. (plus the Mercedes I mentioned). To be perfectly honest, these days unfortunately there is no sure fire way to find quality in a brand name, you will find "lemons" in every brand out there. I'm keeping a positive attitude about my newest addtion to our automobile family and hoping for the best. I'm so happy I found this forum!

Old 02-22-2009, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Mr_Slugger
On Point 2 there is a LOT of people with issues on that tire (Wangler HP), check this thread….a few rave but in between them a lot of issues…
Interesting that the 07 had the HP. My 2004 Durango that I traded, as well as my 08 Aspen, both have Wrangler SR-A tires. They've been great. I have family members that have them on trucks as well, with zero problems. Maybe Chrysler experimented with a cheaper tire, and then went back to the SR-A after complaints. Or maybe it's a function of the wheel size chosen. Did you have the 20 inch wheels on yours?

Quick Reply: Done with my Aspen....it's going!