Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

Gas overflow at fillup

Old 05-03-2011, 09:12 PM

I can't speak for NHTSA.
Exactly....

And I cant speak for Chrysler, and Neither of them will speak for either of us...

So what Now....????

I guess you win, cause I dont own an aspen, And I dont care enough to carry this out anymore.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:34 AM

Everyone who is experiencing the gas overflow while fueling problem on their Chrysler Corporation vehicle should report it to the NHTSA.

Here is the link:
Home | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)

Maybe they will encourage Chrysler to issue a safety recall before a serious incident occurs during refueling. My vehicle is a 2007 Aspen and it developed this problem a few weeks ago at 36,000 miles. Apparently, it's a fuel inlet check valve that is at fault, but the fix entails replacing the entire tank.

I reported it to Chrysler and they said there was no recall and they were not aware of the problem. I said, "Yeah, that's what Ford said about the Pinto." Not surprisingly, that was the end of the dialog.

My local dealer said I'd have to bring the vehicle in and fill it with fuel to reproduce the problem. Then, I'd need to run it to less than half a tank to accommodate removal of the tank.
Please report your issue to:
Home | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)

Old 02-05-2012, 04:12 PM
Default Chrylser Extends Warranty on Fuel Fill Issue

Received a letter from Chrysler regarding the fuel fill issue, and it's good news! Chrysler will, at their expense, replace the defective check valve (gas tank?) for life at no charge. When you receive the letter, just bring the Aspen in to the dealer if you are experiencing the problem. If the problem has not occurred in your vehicle, just file the letter (they suggest in glove box) and should the problem arise, they will fix it at their expense.
Kudos to Chrysler for doing the right thing!

Old 02-05-2012, 07:59 PM
Default gas fix

mine will be going in the morning for the repair, said they dont have to replace the tank just the filler tube with the check valve, they said it is about a 2 hour job,they are giveing me a loaner really dont care about how long it takes just so its fixed,ill keep you all posted.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:30 PM
Default gas overflo fixed

dealer installed a new filler tube about 2 hours labor,problem solved i had a 1/2 tank gas filled up, nozzle clicked off. no gas leaked out. happy camper.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by valleybill55@aol.com
dealer installed a new filler tube about 2 hours labor,problem solved i had a 1/2 tank gas filled up, nozzle clicked off. no gas leaked out. happy camper.
Prior to receiving the letter from Chrysler, my local dealer, after saying they were not aware of the problem in Aspens, then said I'd have to bring the Aspen in. Then, take it with a service tech to a gas station and fill it to demonstrate the problem. Then, I'd have to run it down to half full before they could replace the defective part. (The service rep indicated the entire gas tank had to be replaced.)

Haven't talked to them since receiving the letter, but it should be interesting.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:35 AM
Default gas overflo fixed

no gas tank replacement involved, problem with check valve in the filler tube,parts used for my fix was one new filler tube with check valve and 4 rivets. after the repair i drove to the nearest station tank was 1/2 full set the nozzle to fast fill, nozzle shut off no gas spill what so ever. this worked like it when it was new,

Old 02-07-2012, 08:41 PM

Anyone else stop topping off after having the repair done? It's always in the back of my mind when filling up that this will start happening again. I guess with the letter in hand I can stop worrying about it.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:38 PM

I received a letter from Chrysler this week stating they were extending the warranty for the gas tank to cover it lifetime. It further stated if you had paid for the repairs at a Chrysler dealer, see them and there is a method for getting your money back.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:40 PM

I haven't seen nor heard anything from Chrysler about a warranty on the gas tank. Only the previously mentioned TSB.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gas overflow at fillup