Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

Just bought a 2008 Aspen

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 10:04 PM

Just thought I'd throw another update out there. That weird vibe from 67 to 72 mph...new rear U joints didn't fix it, brand new rear drive shaft didn't fix it. But it's slight so I guess I'll just let it ride. The driveline folks think it might be in the transfer case or rear differential but I wasn't going to spend the money tearing those apart.

I just towed a 5-6k pound camper a long ways with it. Busted my exhaust once on the way there then busted a whole in the muffler on the way back lmao. Fixed now. But yeah so I got an incredible 8 ish mpg for a 10 hour drive. Going about 64mph. Towed very well.

Before the trip I also swapped out the MAP sensor and the air charge /iat sensor thinking that would help a little.

On the plus side...the exhaust holes helped me hear that the MDS is kicking in...so good news. Still bad MPG, but it seems on a very flat highway I might be able to be in MDS up to about 73mph is that normal? or do you guys achieve MDS at higher speeds? Little concerned that the MDS isn't providing better mpg. I'm going to take the intake off and clean it out when I get the chance to see if that will help. Not sure what else to swap out at this point to improve it. I'm not sure if the light is burnt out (which is a little odd because it's part of that green screen not a standalone light) or wire is shot to display the message or if by some fluke Chrysler Canada was using 2007 parts for the evic a little longer into the 2008 model line. I think the winter blend gas is going to negate my comparisons now though.

Last edited by themps; 11-19-2018 at 10:19 PM.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:35 PM

That's not bad gas economy towing. I can't see getting much more on a gasser.

Old 11-26-2018, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by rowekmr
That's not bad gas economy towing. I can't see getting much more on a gasser.
Yeah towing is a lot on it.

The only thing I want to improve is average mpg for regular diving instead of getting 12. It should be falling in the 14 range or higher I would think. Highway I can get 15 or so going 77 mph. 16 to 17 going 72. We do mostly highway and no lead foot, coast as much as we can to stop lights etc. But the average really tanks for some reason.

Also: just replaced the PCV valve with a new Mopar one. One on there was likely original. Throttle body didn't look extremely dirty when doing so.

Last edited by themps; 11-27-2018 at 01:53 AM.
Old 11-27-2018, 06:14 AM

If you are averaging 12 MPG for city driving, I can kind of see that. With all the stop and go. But for highway driving, you should be at 14 minimum. Even with a lead foot, I break the 14 MPG mark on the highway at 75-80 mph.

Old 03-24-2019, 11:21 AM

@themps - I've got a suggestion for you on your fuel mileage issue.

Recently I've been noticing upper 14's to lower 15's on my fuel mileage. Of course, a lot of this is contributed to my lead foot and back road driving which prevents me from hitting 5th gear. However, I tried something which I think is actually helping. I started using a can of Barryman's B-12 Chemtool in each tank of gas. Last week I got up to 16.3 mpg before I refueling again. So that's about a 1 mpg increase in 2 weeks. I plan on continuing using this stuff to see how far I can push it.

A can of B-12 cost me $3.17 at Walmart for a 15oz can. I just pour the whole can in the tank and top off. It helps clean out the injectors. For the price, it's worth trying a couple of cans to see if it helps you.

Old 03-24-2019, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by calamity coyote
@themps - I've got a suggestion for you on your fuel mileage issue.

Recently I've been noticing upper 14's to lower 15's on my fuel mileage. Of course, a lot of this is contributed to my lead foot and back road driving which prevents me from hitting 5th gear. However, I tried something which I think is actually helping. I started using a can of Barryman's B-12 Chemtool in each tank of gas. Last week I got up to 16.3 mpg before I refueling again. So that's about a 1 mpg increase in 2 weeks. I plan on continuing using this stuff to see how far I can push it.

A can of B-12 cost me $3.17 at Walmart for a 15oz can. I just pour the whole can in the tank and top off. It helps clean out the injectors. For the price, it's worth trying a couple of cans to see if it helps you.
Thanks for the suggestion! I'll try it yeah my best fill up in the past three months was 13.1. But most were about 11.5.

Longer trips (like hours on the highway) without towing I can get 16-17 or so mpg. But I should be getting at min 13 avg if the city mpg of all things is 13.

We do very little city driving. The wife takes it for the kids school stuff which is basically a 25 minute drive on fairly regular 55 mph roads with maybe 4 stop and turns total one a week. Another that is mostly highway 70 to 75 for 10-15 minutes 4 times a week (although that does have two different highways so two accelerations but both from around 50mph to begin with) . A few adhoc stuff here and there.
​​​​​​
I just towed a lightly filled 12x6 covered trailer from uhaul an hour away there and back almost all highway was going 72 (don't tell uhaul I went faster than 55 lol) I got 11.6 for that whole trip. Just didn't make sense to me. Especially since all the typical stuff had been addressed and basically the opposite of lead footing it. Could probably do better coasting to stop signs though. We do let it run to warm up 5 to 8 minutes when it's cold so I know that impacts it a little. But it's not every time it's driven.

Last edited by themps; 03-25-2019 at 08:20 PM.