Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

Need advise from the Experts/Techs

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 11:42 AM
Default Need advise from the Experts/Techs

Have a 2009 Aspin, 4.7, 35000 miles. How necessary is it that the spark plugs, upper bank, be changed?? What can i expect if they are not changed?? Having my local mechanic, who i trust and respect 100%, called the local Chrysler dealership for plugs and was told that this service isnt really necessary...Go figure. So I am seeking some advise from those who have had it done and maybe those who havent. Would also like to know from the techs on this board what they think. Thank you.

Old 02-10-2011, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

read your owners manual if any question that is the bible

Old 02-11-2011, 08:55 AM

Bottom line: manual says to do it. If you don't, your Lifetime Warranty just went out the window. For some reason, some/most Chryslers seem to thrive on copper plugs.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:37 AM

Have no lifetime warranty and factory is about to run out. Going to check with another dealer about this. Get a cost. Just dont see why if there is not a problem with the car at this point in time. Plus it says change at 30000, there is now 35500, dealer said dont worry about it until around 40000. Hmmmmmm just dont understand. But the book says do it, so i guess it should be done. What about those who dont read the manual or have no clue that this should be done?? I dont know, just confused about this entire issue, makes absolutly no sense to me, but then again Im not a car techie I just drive them.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

That is one issue that alot of people just do I just drive them Either u have alot of money to throw around or just dont care. U own a 20$ to 30$ dollar machine and u dont know anything about what needs to be done and when? U need to know or learn at least the basics the owners manual is just for that kinda info. Take 20 min and go over it. I bet u will find out things u never knew. The plugs are copper and are required to be changed out every 30k. and FYI if U dont own a manual U can download them online at chrysler.com/owners

Old 02-11-2011, 08:04 PM

Dont mean to upset you Chrysler tech, i appreciate your response and trust me I am very gratefull to get professional advise. I dont throw money around, im not rich, and believe it or not i take better care of my cars than most. I just wish the dealers woul not be so wishy washy here where I am from. I went to a second dealer, a large Chrysler,Dodge, Jeep dealer in central Pennsylvania. Went to the service department , talked to the service manager and asked him about changing the plugs on my 4.7. guess what?? He told me that only is necessary in the Hemi. I actually had to argue with him for about 5 minutes before he looked on his computer and found out that they have to be changed on the 4.7 also. Then he proceded to tell me, if its not missing and its running fine dont worry about it...When it starts to miss then we can do something about it. But with the clean fuel and so on, yada yada yada you may never have to change them. So that is 2 dealers now who are almost telling me im wasting my money and time doing this unless there is a problem...Go figure. I finally asked what it would cost to have this done and he told me around 150. Take about 1.3 hours plus the cost of the plugs...Not a bad price to have this dont i was expecting more, not sure the work involved in getting to the plugs ( maybe you can tell me that).
So my friend, Im not doubting you at all. Like I said I appreciate your response and your professionalism. All I wanted was a straight answer from the dealerships, and I cant seem to get one. Ive owned the car for 3 weeks now and I know more about them than the service managers do...and yes I will get the work done, I dont want to be driving and have the car begin to miss and have a problem at the most inconvienent time. Again thank you sir, I hope you will continue to add responses to my concerns and others concerns here on this forum. Your advise is taken very seriously.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:03 PM

When it starts to miss then we can do something about it.
???? Are you Kidding Me???

That is why it is called "PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE"....A reasonable compromise between expected lifespan, and Imminent failure. Now think for a moment.....

8 year , 80k Federal emmissions warranty is standard on ALL vehicles sold in the US...

Catalytic Converters are covered by this warranty, provided they have not been subjected to abuse or Neglect.

A misfiring Cylinder will make short order of "EATING A CAT FOR LUNCH", Which in turn will void your catalyst warranty if spark plug failure due to lack of maintenance can be deemed as the cause of the misfire.

Now, in all likelihood, this would not be a factor.....But ...IT COULD BE....It is possible...

I suggest you find a new dealer...

Oh, By the way.....30k is the correct mileage for UPPER ROW plugs to be changed on a NON -HEV Engine. Just keep in mind.....The upper and Lower rows use 2 DIFFERENT PLUGS....They are NOT interchangeable.

Last edited by Djinn-n-Tonic; 02-11-2011 at 09:08 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:59 AM

Yes that is what he said. I know that the plugs are copper and thats another thing he said. Why dont we put in another type of plug to avoid the 60000 mile change!!! WOW. Chrysler doesnt have a good rep areound here, I guess im starting to see why. I will take the advise of you and Tech and get the work done ASAP. Can I ask another question? Does anything have to be taken off to get to the plugs?? Engine head or anything. Just curious, not considering doing this myself or anything, but like the service manager told me it takes about 1.3 hours to do this and it will cost me about 150. Dont want to take it in and then have them tell me it took twice as long because they had to disassemble the engine to get to the plugs. Have a great weekend and thanks.

Old 02-12-2011, 06:57 AM
Super Moderator

nothing comes off but the coils

Old 02-12-2011, 10:55 AM

The manual requires top row plug replacement at 30k, and side row plugs at 102k. I'd follow that advice.

What drives me nuts is the uncertainty with items like the axle fluid and transfer case fluid. The manual doesn't require it unless you meet certain criteria for driving habits, but it seems like a good idea to replace these items at least every 60k. Any opinions on this, techs? I've replaced my axle fluid twice so far, and I'm at 60k. I don't want to pay for it if it's a waste of $.

Quick Reply: Need advise from the Experts/Techs