Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

New tires/rims are on - much better ride.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 01:10 PM
Default New tires/rims are on - much better ride.

My '08 has the J-Package, so it has the 20" rims. I think they look great, but I hate the rougher ride you get with short sidewalls. Plus the selection of tires available for people like me that live in snow/ice country is not that great, nor are the prices. So awhile back, I picked up a set of the chrome clad 18's that also came on Aspens of the same year.

My old tires where the stock 265/50/20 Goodyear RS-A's. They are horrible in slush and wet because they have closed shoulders that don't allow water and slush to escape. We hydro-planed more then once with those tires, even before they started getting to their end-of-life. They got worse as they wore down.

Now I have 265/60R18 Michelin LTX M/S2. They have good shoulder channels, and huge center grooves to move water, snow, and slush out of the way. Good deal of siping too, so ice and wet traction should be good. They are the top rated tire on Tirerack for Highway All Season category. Time will tell, but I think they will be a good all season tire for me.

The ride and control with these tires and 18" rims is noticably improved over the 20's in my opinion, though admittedly the tires where pretty much shot (had 50k on them).

If anyone is interested in buying a nice set of the OEM 20" rims, i'll be selling them soon. They are in great shape.

Old 10-14-2011, 03:17 PM

I just replaced the stock tires on mine with Cooper Discoverer A/T3 265/60/18. For an A/T tire they ride and handle awesome. I'm very impressed. We're in Alaska so I'll be putting them to the snow and ice test soon.

Old 10-14-2011, 05:27 PM

Tires with more sidewall will have a softer ride, but there's no way there's better control. I think you're experiencing the difference between worn out tires and new tires.

More sidewall = more sidewall flex. There's no way around it.

Old 10-15-2011, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by 15951a\
Tires with more sidewall will have a softer ride, but there's no way there's better control. I think you're experiencing the difference between worn out tires and new tires.

More sidewall = more sidewall flex. There's no way around it.
I agree. I just replaced my tires with Bridgestone Dueller H/L Alenza and what a big difference. I had the original tires with 30,000 miles when I replaced them.

Old 10-15-2011, 05:02 PM

Totally agree too. Replaced my 20" SR-A's on my 08 J-pkg with Yokohama Parada Spec-X about 10K ago. Terrific tire. Rides like on rails in heavy rain, very smooth and quiet too. Not expecting to get terrific wear (hoping 30K) but by then I'll probably have a new ride.
Good luck with your new shoes.

Old 10-17-2011, 04:48 PM

True, in general, handling can be better with lower profile tires due to the sidewall flex issue. However, we are talking about a 5000+ lb SUV. Handling isn't really in its vocabulary if you really want to get down to it, not compared to a vehicle that really handles. So with a vehicle that already handles like an SUV on a good day (not a compliment), i'll trade a smoother ride for slightly less handling any day of the week.

Old 10-17-2011, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Silver
Handling isn't really in its vocabulary if you really want to get down to it, not compared to a vehicle that really handles.
True, but a set of Bilstein shocks and a decent tires on the 20" wheels makes a world of difference. The stock ride is horrible, IMO.

Old 10-17-2011, 07:34 PM

I love Michelin LTX. On my second set in 7 years on my Dakota. Rides like a Caddy!

Old 10-18-2011, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by 15951a\
True, but a set of Bilstein shocks and a decent tires on the 20" wheels makes a world of difference. The stock ride is horrible, IMO.
Ya, might make a difference, but doesn't make it a Lotus.

I should add that I also tow a camper and we often find ourselves off the beaten path when we are camping. So low profile tires are not my choice when I am offroad (nothing extreme, I have a Ram to rock crawl). So that was the additional reasoning behind going to a taller sidewall.

Old 10-24-2011, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by TNtech
I love Michelin LTX. On my second set in 7 years on my Dakota. Rides like a Caddy!
In what way does it feel like riding in a Cadillac? Just curious

Quick Reply: New tires/rims are on - much better ride.