Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

Question For Those That Tow With Aspen

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 12:58 PM

The tow package does not include the brake controller. You have to buy it aftermarket and install yourself. It's a plug and play unit and plugs in under the dash on the drivers side. Make sure you get the right wiring with the unit for your Aspen so it will just plug in. I think I paid about $75 for mine including the correct "Dodge/Chrylser" wire. That was in Canada so probably half that price in the US.
If you haven't towed before make sure you have the weight distributing setup with hitch bars and anti-sway bars (I use two anti sway bars- friction type)). Make sure your trailer brakes work independently from your vehicle as well. You can test this but activating the brake controller without pushing on your brake pedal as you move slowly ahead with the trailer unit hooked up. If it's working it should stop you quickly and then you can fine tune the controller for the amount of force you want applied.
Happy towing.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Klinkster
I tow a 4000 lb dry 20' boat with my 2007 Hemi Aspen. With trailer (1200 lbs) and gear, I suspect I am around 5500 lbs. It does fantastic.

I would say that the rear end used to sag a bit, but I put on Timbren overload springs (takes literally 20 minutes to put them on...they just replace the rear axle bump stops), and since then there is no sag at all.

I second what Milbers says. The only thing about which I would be concerned is pulling up a slick boat ramp in 2WD.
Say Klinkster where did you order your Timbrens from and what did you pay? They seem like a better idea than air bags - no leakage, easier install, less maintenance, less cost. Did you just pry the old bump stops out and friction fit the Timbrens or did they come with a bolt on plate. No problems so far with them popping out ? Also what are you running for shocks on the back?

Old 07-07-2014, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by kcinca2003
Hi, new to the Chrysler community and owner of a 2007 Chrysler 5.7 Hemi for past two years.

Looking to tow a 24 foot trailer for the first time. Seems that the rating should be sufficient to tow, but I'm wondering if there is a break control built in or if I need to buy an aftermarket one?

It had the tow package, but reading the owner's manual didn't help me specifically to this answer. Any one know the answer?
I tow a 28ft Jayco White Hawk with my 2007 Aspen 5.7 litre. With the right hitch set up trailer sway is a non issue. I use an Equal-izer 4 point WD hitch and have never had a problem. The trailer weighs in at 5500 empty, after all the gear we come it around 6000lbs. The Aspen has plenty of power to get you up hills. I use a Prodigy 3 controller, wired it to the harness that came with the truck. Easy to plug in under the dash and unplug when not towing. Other than the kids and dog getting bigger, and the interior space shrinking, the Aspen has been a great tow vehicle.

Old 09-22-2014, 10:26 PM
Thumbs up Oregon trip

Just back from a 4000 mile round trip towing our 8000 lb, 29 foot travel trailer to and from the Oregon coast. We have a 2009 Aspen with the 5.7 and tow package. The truck pulled beautifully with no problems. I had changed the tranny, diffs, and transfer case fluids before leaving and it didn't burn any engine oil. I put in airbags (Air Ride 1000s) and they took the tongue weight of 1000 lbs with no problem. Kept the revs about 2500 in the tow/haul mode, about 55 mph on the interstates. Hit lots of headwinds going west and got about 9 mpg. Coming back had a tail wind and got 12 mpg. Tranny would lock into 4th gear with the tail wind and I could do about 60 mph on a flat road. Climbing steep hills (Cascades) it would drop to 2nd gear and I would keep it at about 3000 to 3500 rpm at 35 to 40 mph. Made sure I kept the engine running when stopped to cool everything. Temps outside were hitting 87 F at times.
So if you are considering towing with your Aspen, it will do it without harming your vehicle. I plan on changing the tranny fluid and filters just to make sure things stay good.
I used a weight distributing hitch and a dual sway controller setup. Electric brakes were a definite must. The brake controller was a plug and play unit.

Old 06-23-2017, 10:35 PM
Default Towing with Aspen

Sorry for the late post.

I am going to tow a 3500lb trailer and I thought since the Aspen is rated at 8700lb (I have 4wd, 5.7 Hemi with Tow Package) and has Sway Control built into the ESP Traction control system that I would skip the weight distribution hitch and anti-sway bars.

In other words Im gonna hitch with standard 2 5/8" ball with trailer brake controller and go.

Please let me know your thoughts on this. Do I really need WD and anti-sway bars with this light a trailer and sway control built in?

Thanks.

Old 06-24-2017, 09:22 AM
Default Aspen towing

You don't need the equalizer set up as long as the tongue weight of the trailer doesn't lift the front end of your truck up too much and affect the steering. I would use an equalizer setup if the tongue weight is more than say 400 lbs. I believe in safety first and would probably use the equalizer setup because I have one already. I also use the anti-sway bar setup even though my Aspen has the anti-sway built in too. Remember it's more than just your safety to watch for out there, consider the safety of others on the road too.

Old 06-28-2017, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Milbers
You don't need the equalizer set up as long as the tongue weight of the trailer doesn't lift the front end of your truck up too much and affect the steering. I would use an equalizer setup if the tongue weight is more than say 400 lbs. I believe in safety first and would probably use the equalizer setup because I have one already. I also use the anti-sway bar setup even though my Aspen has the anti-sway built in too. Remember it's more than just your safety to watch for out there, consider the safety of others on the road too.
Thanks Milbers.

I am leaning toward the WD w/sway (found a couple on craigslist already). However, since you have done this before, are you aware of a stamp on our class IV hitch (assuming you have tow package as well) that states weight limits? I am reading that some hitches have a stamp for weights that correspond to ball vs WD. I looked and i cant find a stamp on my receiver.

Also, I am hooking up my trailer brake controller and i read that I may need a converter if the brake and turn signals don't ride the same wire. Have you experienced this at all?

Thanks for the information. Once I get my camper and hit the road I hope to be more help and less questions .

Thanks.

Old 08-15-2017, 11:04 AM

I have heard that turning off OD is necessary, but I am only towing 3500lbs with a hemi and a tow package. RPMs stay low in OD. On other vehicles, if I turn off OD the RPMs go much higher for the same speed (65mph). Is it really important to turn it off?

Also, where is the OD switch? I don't think I have one!

Old 08-16-2017, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by 2009-Aspen-Hemi
I have heard that turning off OD is necessary, but I am only towing 3500lbs with a hemi and a tow package. RPMs stay low in OD. On other vehicles, if I turn off OD the RPMs go much higher for the same speed (65mph). Is it really important to turn it off?

Also, where is the OD switch? I don't think I have one!
If your Aspen is equipped with the tow package, the tow/haul button to disable OD is on the end of the shift lever. Not sure if this is on Aspens that do not have the tow package. This tow/haul function not only disables OD, but it changes the shift pattern and downshifts when breaking to assist with slowing down (engine braking). I do not recall a specific weight listed in the manual of when you should start using the tow/haul feature. Generally if I'm towing around the 1500 or more mark, I'm using the feature. Don't want to damage a transmission. I also use it when climbing mountains on trips (such as in Colorado). Really helps on the down side as well to reduce friction braking. The reason for disabling it is because the transmission tends to shift in and out of OD continuously when towing. Even on flat land. This is not good on the trans. So if you are shifting in and out of OD while towing, turn it on. Can be done on the fly.

Old 04-11-2021, 02:50 PM
Default Towing with 2008 Aspen

I tow a 24 foot car trailer with a drag car, golf cart bench and tools etc. The trailer weighs 8500 lbs. My Aspen has the 5.7 with the tow package. I do not know for sure if they all do with the tow package, I think not, but mine has a 3.92 gear ratio. The gear definitely helps from a dead start and on steep hills, but admittedly is hard on my mileage without the trailer, but I think it is worth it. I have an equalizer hitch with friction sway control which definitely helps at highway speeds. I would recommend the hitch to everyone. When I added the golf cart all the way up in the nose, the equalizer became even more important. On the interstate I usually pull at about 75 MPH. I have towed a car trailer a great number of miles in the last 45 years and this Aspen is a great tow vehicle in my opinion. I bought my first Chrysler product when I was 18 years old, 48 years ago, and have owned nothing else since. I have also made my living as a mechanic and metal fabricator for the same number of years. The stock weight of the Aspen is substantial and a big help with the towing. My son's 18 Ram 2500 with a diesel does not really care if the trailer is behind it or not, but other than that, the Aspen does one hell of a job pulling that trailer. On a different note, if anyone knows of a towing mirror that will attach where the factory mirrors are at, I would love to know that. Thank you all

Quick Reply: Question For Those That Tow With Aspen