Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

Spark Plug Change

Old 01-04-2009, 09:38 AM
Default Spark Plug Change

Referring to the much ballyhooed Schedule B maintenance schedule (see my post about differential fluid change) it looks like I should replace my spark plugs every 30K. Again, I find this unbelievably quick, and two I CANT FIND THE SPARK PLUGS! So where are they and should I attempt to do this myself or take it to a shop? Yeah, its got a Hemi.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:25 PM
Default RE: Spark Plug Change

Well apparently a localdealer will charge $229 plus tax to change the plugs because it is a very labor intensive project.

Do does anybody know or reccomend upgrading spark plugs to something that doesn't require a 30K interval change?

Old 01-05-2009, 05:18 PM

aggiejet,

I can't speak for the Aspen yet, but I have a Dodge Magnum with the Hemi and I changed them myself. It only took about 1.5 hours and I took my time. I installed a platinum plug which will go much longer than 30K miles. I have not looked yet at the difficulty of changing the plugs in the Aspen yet since I have only had it for 3 weeks and unfortunately it is in the shop right now for a transmission problem. If you are somewhat mechanically inclined I bet you could change them and save a lot of money. Even if you have to buy a couple of tools to make the job easier, it will be worth it.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:00 PM

Procedure to change the Hemi's 16 spark plugs, "borrowed" from another site:

5.7L V-8 Spark Plug Removal

Eight of the 16 spark plugs are located under an ignition coil; the other 8 are not. If spark plug being removed is
under coil, coil must be removed to gain access to spark plug. Refer to Ignition Coil Removal/Installation and
observe all CAUTIONS and WARNINGS.
Before removing or disconnecting any spark plug cables, note their original position. Remove cables one-at-a-time.
To prevent ignition crossfire, spark plug cables MUST be placed in cable tray (routing loom) into their original position.
Refer to Spark Plug Cable Removal for a graphic.
Before installing spark plug cables to either the spark plugs or coils, apply dielectric grease to inside of boots.
1. Remove necessary air filter tubing at throttle body.
2. Prior to removing ignition coil (if coil removal is necessary), spray compressed air around coil base at cylinder
head cover.
3. Prior to removing spark plug, spray compressed air into cylinder head opening. This will help prevent foreign
material from entering combustion chamber.
4. Remove spark plug from cylinder head using a quality socket with a rubber or foam insert.
5. Inspect spark plug condition.

5.7L V-8 Spark Plug Installation

1. Special care should be taken when installing spark plugs into the cylinder head spark plug wells. Be sure the
plugs do not drop into the plug wells as electrodes can be damaged.
2. Start the spark plug into cylinder head by hand to avoid cross threading aluminum threads. To aid in installation,
attach a piece of rubber hose, or an old spark plug boot to spark plug.
3. The 5.7L V-8 is equipped with torque critical design spark plugs. Do not exceed 15 ft. lbs. torque. Tighten spark
plugs. Refer to torque specifications.
4. Before installing spark plug cables to either the spark plugs or coils, apply dielectric grease to inside of boots.
5. To prevent ignition crossfire, spark plug cables MUST be placed in cable tray (routing loom) into their original
position. Refer to Spark Plug Cable Removal for a graphic.
6. Install ignition coil(s) to necessary spark plugs. Refer to Ignition Coil Installation.
7. Install spark plug cables to remaining spark plugs. Remember to apply dielectric grease to inside of boots.

After seeing this, I think I'll just pay to have it done.

Old 01-09-2009, 02:17 PM

Thanks for the response. I wonder what the Cautions/Warnings are about removing the coils. Other thanbeing meticulous and making sure you put the wires and coils back like you found them, I just can't believe itwould require special training to do this. That said, I would like totalk to someone that hasdone it first.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:55 PM

wow, sounds pretty straight forward.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:21 PM

Like I said, I have changed the plugs in my Magnum with the 5.7L Hemi, can't imagine it would be much different than that. PM me if you have any questions, it was a real easy job.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Amazn1
Like I said, I have changed the plugs in my Magnum with the 5.7L Hemi, can't imagine it would be much different than that. PM me if you have any questions, it was a real easy job.
The Magnums look easier, since in the Aspen/Durango the Hemi seems to be tucked in pretty deep under the cowling, while the Hemi in the Magnum is exposed for basically its full length.

For those who have changed their Aspen/Durango Hemi plugs: How much of a PITA is it? Enough room to work/turn wrenches?

Thanks (looking at buying an Aspen).

Old 01-20-2012, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Moparmeister
The Magnums look easier, since in the Aspen/Durango the Hemi seems to be tucked in pretty deep under the cowling, while the Hemi in the Magnum is exposed for basically its full length.

For those who have changed their Aspen/Durango Hemi plugs: How much of a PITA is it? Enough room to work/turn wrenches?

Thanks (looking at buying an Aspen).
It's not too bad, as long as you have a long reach and remove the air resonator box at the throttle body. Once that's out of the way, it's much easier to access everything. The engine is definitely tucked in deep.

It's a good DIY project, and gives you an excuse to clean the throttle body while you have the resonator off.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by 15951a\
It's not too bad, as long as you have a long reach and remove the air resonator box at the throttle body. Once that's out of the way, it's much easier to access everything. The engine is definitely tucked in deep.

It's a good DIY project, and gives you an excuse to clean the throttle body while you have the resonator off.
Thanks, I appreciate the info.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spark Plug Change