Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

Transfer case shifting 4WD to $WLock on its own

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 07:09 PM
Default Transfer case shifting 4WD to $WLock on its own

My 08 hemi started shifting into 4 lock on its own, from what I can determine this was a problem on older durango's. Sometimes while driving slowly sometimes while not moving at all. It would not shift into 4 Lo at all. After a little searching I found the most common remedy was to disconnect the transfer case motor. It does leave the SVC 4WD light on but now I don't have to worry about my wife getting stuck somewhere. One repair that sounded reasonable was to replace the front control module, noting it controls the TC motor.
About 2-3 weeks ago the actuator for the rear HVAC controls started clicking every time I unlock the doors. Can this be connected to the front control module?
Maybe someone here with more electrical/mechanical knowledge than me can help.
While I don't think I've used 4Lo since I bought the car new, I still do not like the idea that the connector is only partially protected from the elements and may cause further problems if water gets into it.

Old 12-17-2015, 09:48 AM

Hi billdc,
I'm sorry to hear about this. I was unable to find any TSBs that might address the concerns you presented. If you would like assistance in scheduling an appointment with your local servicing dealership, I'd be happy to help!

Old 12-18-2015, 08:39 AM

Thank you for looking for a TSB. With some of the complaints I've read regarding multiple service attempts that did not resolve the issue.
Also I feel that the trouble with the transfer case and rear HVAC actuator and door locks may be related by a control module. I would like to do a little more homework regarding the possible link, (are they are controlled by the same unit)? If you have any knowledge regarding where I could start that would be great.

Old 12-18-2015, 08:55 AM

Have you spoken to a technician regarding your questions?

Old 12-19-2015, 08:42 AM

No I have not yet. I like to have some idea of the problem beforehand. In the past I have blindly agreed to repairs that only managed to separate me from my money and did not fix the problem until the second or third "repair". I am not in a rush at this time and will take some time to learn about the control units involved. If its something I can repair, great, if not I have no problem paying someone who has the tools and facilities to repair the problem in a timely manner. I just have to find time to do the research.

Old 08-03-2020, 01:00 PM
Default Did you ever get this figured out?

Originally Posted by billdc
Thank you for looking for a TSB. With some of the complaints I've read regarding multiple service attempts that did not resolve the issue.
Also I feel that the trouble with the transfer case and rear HVAC actuator and door locks may be related by a control module. I would like to do a little more homework regarding the possible link, (are they are controlled by the same unit)? If you have any knowledge regarding where I could start that would be great.
Mine is doing the same thing.

Old 08-03-2020, 02:13 PM

What a coincidence. Mine has started doing this as well. Was going to ask about it myself.

I started hearing an odd sound when vehicle wasn't even running. Just parked and locked up. Sounded like a metal on metal slicing sound and then a "thunk". Didn't know what it was at first. Then I turned the key on (engine off) and rotated the dial and realized it was the transfer case. I also started seeing the "SVC 4WD" light on the dash intermittently while driving.

Today while slowing down in a parking lot, it jumped in to 4 Low. I personally think it may be the dash switch as I would rotate through the settings and hit the dash below it and it would stop for a while. I'm going to try and disconnect it first to verify.

Old 08-04-2020, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by calamity coyote
What a coincidence. Mine has started doing this as well. Was going to ask about it myself.

I started hearing an odd sound when vehicle wasn't even running. Just parked and locked up. Sounded like a metal on metal slicing sound and then a "thunk". Didn't know what it was at first. Then I turned the key on (engine off) and rotated the dial and realized it was the transfer case. I also started seeing the "SVC 4WD" light on the dash intermittently while driving.

Today while slowing down in a parking lot, it jumped in to 4 Low. I personally think it may be the dash switch as I would rotate through the settings and hit the dash below it and it would stop for a while. I'm going to try and disconnect it first to verify.
I think I've read about this before, being the Transfer Case Motor/Module?

Old 08-04-2020, 11:16 AM

Well I disconnected the switch and now it shows "SVC 4WD" continuously. I've already ordered a replacement switch and I'm going to try it first. Any idea on material that talks about the motor/module, location and part number? Thanks.

Old 08-04-2020, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by calamity coyote
Well I disconnected the switch and now it shows "SVC 4WD" continuously. I've already ordered a replacement switch and I'm going to try it first. Any idea on material that talks about the motor/module, location and part number? Thanks.
https://repairpal.com/transfer-case-...failedopen-825

Quick Reply: Transfer case shifting 4WD to $WLock on its own