Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler Aspen (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-aspen-41/)
-   -   Transfer case shifting 4WD to $WLock on its own (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-aspen-41/transfer-case-shifting-4wd-%24wlock-its-own-25369/)

calamity coyote 08-07-2020 11:43 AM

Well, disconnecting the switch does not stop this. Today when I hit the unlock on my remote, I heard the slicing/thunk noise again. Guess it's on to the motor which is going to suck as you have to remove the front drive shaft to access the motor. :(

Rawyzf 08-07-2020 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by calamity coyote (Post 115330)
Well, disconnecting the switch does not stop this. Today when I hit the unlock on my remote, I heard the slicing/thunk noise again. Guess it's on to the motor which is going to suck as you have to remove the front drive shaft to access the motor. :(

I thought you could get it without doing that, but I might be wrong..

calamity coyote 08-09-2020 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Rawyzf (Post 115331)
I thought you could get it without doing that, but I might be wrong..

The video I watched (which was for a RAM truck) showed driveshaft having to come out. Then again, it doesn't show the cross member sitting right in the middle of the transfer case either. I crawled up under the truck and looked at it. I "Think" I may be able to remove the motor without removing the driveshaft. Going to be a tight fit. Even getting to unplug the harness was difficult. I have ordered a motor and will attempt to replace when it arrives.

Rawyzf 08-09-2020 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by calamity coyote (Post 115333)
The video I watched (which was for a RAM truck) showed driveshaft having to come out. Then again, it doesn't show the cross member sitting right in the middle of the transfer case either. I crawled up under the truck and looked at it. I "Think" I may be able to remove the motor without removing the driveshaft. Going to be a tight fit. Even getting to unplug the harness was difficult. I have ordered a motor and will attempt to replace when it arrives.

Good Luck!

billdc 08-10-2020 07:48 AM

I disconnected the cable from the transfer motor. I filled it with dielectric grease and wrapped it in plastic and electrical tape. I know have a service 4WD light on the dash. I not not have the option of 4LO, but I never used it. The motor will not work without power. I stopped looking for a solution to this problem. Hope this helps.

Rawyzf 08-10-2020 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by billdc (Post 115338)
I disconnected the cable from the transfer motor. I filled it with dielectric grease and wrapped it in plastic and electrical tape. I know have a service 4WD light on the dash. I not not have the option of 4LO, but I never used it. The motor will not work without power. I stopped looking for a solution to this problem. Hope this helps.

That's a good work around, didn't think of that. So you have AWD and 4HI, or are you just in AWD only? I know you said 4LO is not an available now.

calamity coyote 08-10-2020 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Rawyzf (Post 115339)
That's a good work around, didn't think of that. So you have AWD and 4HI, or are you just in AWD only? I know you said 4LO is not an available now.

When you disconnect it, the motor is stuck where ever it was when you disconnected. So if it was in AWD, it says in AWD. You cannot select 4HI or 4LO. I also thought of just disconnecting the motor wire but you don't have much space to work with and the cable needs to be tied up so it doesn't hang down in the driveshaft.

I have a motor on order. Once it gets here, I'm going to try and replace. After I'm going to need to do a transmission pan/filter service as I suspect the leaking pan is the cause of the motor failure. The shop I had do it last apparently did it wrong as it has had a slow leak from the pan ever since. :(

Rawyzf 08-10-2020 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by calamity coyote (Post 115341)
When you disconnect it, the motor is stuck where ever it was when you disconnected. So if it was in AWD, it says in AWD. You cannot select 4HI or 4LO. I also thought of just disconnecting the motor wire but you don't have much space to work with and the cable needs to be tied up so it doesn't hang down in the driveshaft.

I have a motor on order. Once it gets here, I'm going to try and replace. After I'm going to need to do a transmission pan/filter service as I suspect the leaking pan is the cause of the motor failure. The shop I had do it last apparently did it wrong as it has had a slow leak from the pan ever since. :(

Good Info, thanks!

I'm due for Trans services as well.....I might get the front and rear diffs done at the same time, as I haven't done them in about 25K.

billdc 08-11-2020 08:41 AM

Yes it is stuck in AWD. But I was able to wire tie it up and I check it occasionally. Surprisingly it does seem to be holding up well.

calamity coyote 08-11-2020 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Rawyzf (Post 115342)
Good Info, thanks!

I'm due for Trans services as well.....I might get the front and rear diffs done at the same time, as I haven't done them in about 25K.

If you are going to do the transmission and front and rear diffs, you might as well do the transfer case at the same time too.