Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

Vapor Canister Purge Valve on 5.7l

Old 03-06-2019, 07:17 PM
Default Vapor Canister Purge Valve on 5.7l

Since I didn't see this anywhere online I thought I would post this.

I have been on a probably futile never ending quest to improve MPG (and oil consumption). But one of the symptoms of a bad purge valve can be bad mpg, or so I read. So since the new mopar part on eBay was 25 bucks or less and the job seemed simple enough I decided to replace mine. Mopar 4891739AA

Instead of mounting this in a normal location like other 5.7 Hemi engines, Chrysler put it way in the back under the cowl near the firewall area next to the brake booster system. NO this is not my nice clean engine bay LOL.

After barely reaching it I simply pulled the top hose off the throttle body. Then removed the unit itself from a small mounting bracket by pulling it forward towards the front of the vehicle. I was able to get the wire harness off with a screw driver moving over the red tab and squeezing it out.

Then worked on the fuel hose quick connect thingie. Not sure what its called. Has a blue plastic tab just visible along the top. Pinched the plastic together and wiggled/pulled the part out (with the plastic tab sill attached to the part to be reused on the new purge valve pump / solenoid).

Hooked up new one in reverse order. Will update if it actually helps anything. But I figured it was worth trying since it's so cheap.

Last edited by themps; 03-06-2019 at 07:28 PM.
Old 03-07-2019, 04:39 AM

Definitely keep us posted. Been thinking about swapping this myself.