Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

Warped Rotor Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 05:55 PM
Default Warped Rotor Question

I recently had EBC greenstuff pads installed with EBC rotors, and noticed that there is already some brake judder a few months after install. I checked the torque on the lug nuts, and one of them on the passenger front wheel was so tight that it took some curse words to get it off the wheel. All of the others were fine.

Question: Will wheel rotors that have been slightly warped correct themselves if the lug nuts are properly torqued? I'm guessing I'm screwed and will have to machine that particular rotor, but it's worth asking...

Old 03-12-2011, 08:05 PM

In theory...yes...

Real world....Not likely...

As for lug nut torque....in theory, yes an overtorqued lug nut can distort a rotor face....
But I havent seen this happen since 1987 on a Mercury cougar.....

Just an opinion......But using a Torque wrench on lug nuts is the Industries way of Limiting Liability for wheels falling off.....Because a "Not so Prudent Tech" cant pay attention long enough to make sure the wheels are tight before returning the car....

Another opinion.....I dont care if you put the lugs on with your tongue...The only way they can fall off is if you forgot to tighten them.....

So in the quest for Liability reduction, The industry has once again come up with a HALF ARSED explanation, for how they are lowering their Liability....

DONT BUY THE HYPE....That one lone lug nut did not hurt your rotors.....

Here in the Pocono mountains, You can WARP the DEATH out of the most expensive, highest quality rotors available in under 100 miles, just by simply stopping at the bottom of the hill in your 6000 lb TRUCK from 55 MPH.

Last edited by Djinn-n-Tonic; 03-12-2011 at 08:11 PM.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:43 PM

Thanks Djinn. Good to hear that the overtorqued lug nut probably didn't cause the problem. I was pretty ticked off when I was putting 200+ pounds of pressure on the thing and it wasn't budging, when all the others came off with reasonable effort.

Funny you should mention that a single stop in a heavy vehicle can cause warping. EBC's break-in procedure was a series of stops from 55 or so, and driving around for awhile in between the abuse to cool the rotors. They actually changed color (slight blue tint) as a result of that break-in, and were fantastic for several months afterwards.

The warping was VERY minor - hopefully it's easily corrected.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:36 AM

this happened on my caliber when I went through a puddle and was braking. I guess the brakes got really hot, and then cooled down fast causing the warping. I learned to never brake when driving through water if you can help it.

Old 04-01-2011, 03:26 PM

A technique a friend of mine told me to do was when braking from highway speed (like a exit ramp) and coming to a complete stop. Don't let the car sit in one spot with the brakes applied. It will create a hot spot on the rotor and "could" in theroy warp it. I have used this pratice for many years and can truthfully say. I have never had a warped rotor since doing this at stop lights and stop signs. My motto, "Stop short and roll up to it"
Give it a try guys. it can't hurt