Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

Wiper problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 07:52 PM
Default Wiper problems

I own a Hemi 4x4 2007 Aspen which i bought brand new just 2 months ago, it has every extra except the engine heater (didn't think i would need that here in Florida!!) and the back up camera.
My question is......has anyone else experienced any problems with their front wipers?
When i first had to use them the wiper blades 'thumped' across the windscreen, this became so bad that i had to drive in the rain with them off because it was so severe. I thought it might be due to some coating or residue left on the windscreen that had been forgotten about after delivery,the next day i took it back to the dealership where after inspection replaced the blades under warranty.
Because we live in Florida i haven't had the need to use the wipers since the 'repair' because of the lack of rain however this evening whilst coming back from Applebees it rained and rained pretty hard and i tried to use the wipers but the fault was back and it was even worse this time, yet again i had to drive with the wipers off because of the noise.To add to the problem the wiper blades have now left some really bad marks on the screen.
In my opinion the wiper arms seem to be putting too much pressure on the blades when they wipe............i have left a message with the Service Department regarding my problem (hopefully they will be able to sort this out tomorrow) but just wondered if any other Aspen owner has had the same fault.

many thanks,

Steve

Old 09-11-2007, 09:15 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Wiper problems

SUBJECT:
Windshield Wiper Blade/Element Maintenance
MODELS:
All All All Chrysler Group Vehicles
DISCUSSION:
Windshield wiper blades/elements are frequently replaced unnecessarily. Because of the
environmental conditions vehicles can be operated in, a film can build up on both the
windshield and the windshield wiper elements that will cause poor cleaning/streaking of the
windshield, and in some instances, a chattering condition as the wipers blades travel
across the windshield.
Replacement of the wiper blades/elements is normally NOT required to correct streaking
issues. A simple NORMAL MAINTENANCE cleaning of the wiper blades/elements and
windshield is all that is required.
If the wipe pattern appears to be streaky or if there is chatter and no damage to the wiper
blades/elements is obvious, the following steps should be performed:
1. Use a soft cloth or sponge & squeegee and MOPAR Windshield Washer Solvent (p/n
04318067AB, 16 Oz. bottle or p/n 04318068AB, 32 Oz. bottle), MOPAR Glass Cleaner
(p/n 04897623AB, 16 Oz. bottle) or a solution of 50/50 alcohol and water, to wash the
windshield.
2. Raise the wiper blades off the glass and clean the wiper blade elements (rubber insert)
with MOPAR Windshield Washer Solvent or a solution of 50/50 alcohol and water and
a soft cloth, paper towel or sponge.
3. Return the wiper blades to their normal operating position and function the washer
system. If the wiper blades/elements are not streaking the windshield or chattering,
replacing the blade assembly(ies) is not necessary. If the wipe pattern is still
objectionable, repeat step 2 several times. If the wipe pattern is still objectionable,
replace the wiper blades/elements.
POLICY:
Information Only
NUMBER: 23-014-06
GROUP: Body
DATE: March 8, 2006

Old 09-12-2007, 11:20 AM

Thanks for your reply.............however my point is that i have a problem with the wipers that i have already explained.
I am not a novice when it comes to cars infact i spent 20 years in the motor trade back in the UK, my last employer was BMW/MINI so it would be fair to say that i have extensive knowledge on cars. I have come across this problem beforequite a fewyears ago and if i recall correctly the fault was to do with the wiper arms , i think it was the angle that they had been made to.
Obviously i do not want to start trying to cure the problem myself ................thats what warranties are for.
My point about posting was to see if any other Aspen owners have had 'issues' with their wipers.
The 'remedy' that you listed is just a quick fix , after spending $48k on a new car i do not expect to have to 'clean' my wiper blades and screen every time i have a problem.
I always use glass cleaner specified for Auto usethat is suitable for exterior glass and the fact that my 2006 Town & Country has never hadthis type of problem even though it has now covered over 34,000 miles !! tells me that there must be fault in the wiper components or set up with this particular vehicle.

Steve

Old 09-13-2007, 06:33 PM

Well i dropped off the Aspen to the dealers to-day for them to investigate the problem, after changing the wiper arms and blades(again) the fault is still there.
It has also come to light that the Sales Manager and 'other' customers have also commented on the same problems with their vehicles that i am having, to confuse matters further another Aspen was in for service to-day and that owner said he had not had any problems at all with his wipers.The dealership are now looking into the possibility it may be down to an issue with the windshield and the outer surface of the glass.
Obviously i am very frustrated because there appears to be no known cure at present and god knows how long it will take Chrysler to find a solution.........soon i hope, if not i may have a good case to reject the vehicle on the grounds it is unsafe to drive in the rain.[&:]

Steve

Old 09-14-2007, 04:51 PM

go ahead and refuse the vechicle and go to walmart buy a bike then you dont have to worry about wipers.

Old 09-16-2007, 06:58 PM

and your point is ?????

Old 09-27-2007, 09:43 PM

For those that may be interested , i had a call from the dealership asking me to drop off the Aspen onTuesday at the request from Daimer Chrysler.
The latest word is that the wiper motor is going to be replaced................[&:]

Old 09-28-2007, 09:21 PM

Does the wiper motor have to do with anything?

Old 12-02-2007, 11:05 AM

Hi, i haven't been on here for quite a while but i thought i would just let you all know that the problems that i have had with the wipers have now been sorted.
The problem in the end turned out to be the windshield, Chrysler replaced the 'defective' windshield and are aware ofwhy the problem was caused, according to my local dealership a Technical Bulletin will be released so any other Aspens with the same fault can be recalled for repair.

Hope this helps.

Steve