Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

04 pacifica of recharged a/c

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 03:14 PM
Default 04 pacifica of recharged a/c

I have a 04 pacifica 3.5L 176,000 miles motor replaced around 140,000. So my a/c would blow cold when driving but when sitting still it would raise about 10 or 15 degrees so it felt. I now drive for uber and lyft so I couldn't have customers feeling hot at times. So I bought a can with a gauge at advanced Auto and added some in into until it was in the green area. Then I ran my a/c and it blew colder. I drove it about 3 miles to the gas station and it was smoking from under the hood. I immediately cut it off, popped the hood and it was coming from the area of the compressor. I had someone hit the a/c button and the clutch on the compressor turned about 2 inches and then stopped and the belt started to smoke. I'm wondering if maybe I put to much pressure into the system and it caused either a clutch failure or a compressor failure or both? If so could I possibly of damaged other things as well? Or can I bleed out some pressure and maybe it will start turning again? Its not totally froze because it will turn a few Iniches before it stops. I live in VA and it was about 94 degrees today when I decided to charge it a Lil. Please help

Old 07-07-2016, 06:38 PM

Update. I waited a few hrs, pulled the tire off, pulled the plastic cover off and tried it again and the compressor kicked on and ran for about 45 sec and the air was starting to cool. After 45 sec it stopped and the belt started to squeal again. Hopefully I can have the system evacuated and recharged and it will solve the problem. Any input I would greatly appreciate.

Old 07-07-2016, 08:23 PM
Super Moderator

is your fan under the hood coming on?

Old 07-08-2016, 12:15 PM

Both fans are coming on and pretty much running constantly. Took it to a shop today and had them evacuated and recharge it AC after that ran for 15 minutes good after that when they backed it out of the shop it froze up. So I went and bought a compressor a dryer in an expansion valve and I'm about to put that on now then go back to the shop and have them evacuate and recharge it again for no charge.