Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

04 Pacifica TPMS

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 06:45 PM
Default 04 Pacifica TPMS

The TPMS is the worst accessory I have ever owned. While having tires replaced, one of my sensors was found bad and was replaced. I recently had another replaced due to a hairline crack leaking air. Neither sensor is working with the vehicle, and I continously have two tires low pressure on my dashboard. According to the tire store, the specs provided by Chrysler state to drive the vehicle for 10 miles to pair the sensor with the vehicle...HA! I have been driving one for 10,000 miles. How do I get this problem to go away? When I call the dealer I can hear the dollar signs in the eyes over the phone.

Joe

Old 07-28-2010, 08:25 AM
Default tpms training.

Originally Posted by jmfacchina
According to the tire store, the specs provided by Chrysler state to drive the vehicle for 10 miles to pair the sensor with the vehicle...
Joe
This is not correct. You need to "train" your sensors. You do this from your evic menu. Start the training procedure and activate the sensors one by one clockwise from front left wheel by holding a strong magnet to the valvestem. When the system recognice the sensor the horn will sound and you proceed with the next one.

Old 07-29-2010, 02:43 AM
Default Not available on menu

I wish that were the case, all of my troubles would have long since been answered. However, when I cycle through the menu on the dashboard, which I'm assuming is the evic menu, there is no option for training the TPMS. If there is another menu I don't know about, please direct me to it.

Old 07-30-2010, 06:52 PM
Default Tpms

The described procedure seems to apply to "early build" models, like mine 04. If you do not have the "Training" option in the menu it might mean it is not an "early build"? In that case It apears the tire shop's procedure is correct:
-Park the car for a minimum of 15 minutes.
-Drive the vehicle for a minimum of five minutes while maintaining a continuous speed above 13 mph (20 km/h). During this time the system will learn the new sensor ID's and will clear any DTC's automatically.

I assume the tire pressure's are verified to be correct?

No spare tire with sensor mounted?

The "defect" sensors are not stored in the car?
I once had a strange experience with defect sensors at the car and the system reading the sensors from my wintertires, stored in my garage. The pressures was Ok when my wife left for work in the morning, but the system was failing every afternoon when she was starting from work. Every time my wife complained and I checked, it worked of course, as the car was in the garage. It took a while before I understood what was going on.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:41 AM

Is it possible that they installed incorrect sensors? My understanding is that there are a few different sensors available.

My '04 does not have the "Training" menu (or i haven't figured out how to access that part of the system as described in the Body Diagnostics manual). I have one sensor that is inop/broken and get the "Service Tire Press. System" message and accompanying Tire Warning light. I'll replace it in the next couple of months. right now it's just a bit of a nuisance having the warning flash and come up periodically.

Old 08-02-2010, 06:37 PM

Absolutely possible they mounted wrong sensors.

I need to replace two defect sensors for my wintertires too. The sensors mounted in my tires are not original. I did some research to find out what partnumber I needed. From what I found out there are different sensors from 04 til 05. But maybe the change is rather between early build / non early build than the years as the systems appears to be different?

Old 01-03-2011, 09:54 AM
Default TPMS Retrain Precedure question

I've got a AWD Pac that was built in January, 2004 - thus an "Early Build" vehicle from what I can figure. I bought the car used about 4 years ago, and have had pretty good experience with it.

I've had the "Service Tire System Soon" message displaying for what seems like forever. I've checked the tire pressure, and all 4 are at 33 psi - the recommended cold pressure. I've read just about every post on this site that addresses this issue and the TPMS system, and I'm at the point that I want to try retraining the TPMS to see if that makes the STSS message go away.

So here's my question - My car's instrumentation system does not seem to have a "RETRAIN TIRE SENSORS?" option available. I have cycled through all of the menu options (with the key turned to the "On" position), and have not seen this option. I set the "Factory Settings" option to "No", which gives me more options, but no "Retrain Tire Sensors" option was shown on the menu.

Can anyone tell me what I'm missing? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 01-03-2011, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by madmac
I've got a AWD Pac that was built in January, 2004 - thus an "Early Build" vehicle from what I can figure. .
Not true......Early build would be from June of 03 to september of 03.. Late build is After 9/03

What everyone seems to be missing, is the TPMS system is not a standalone, it works in conjunction with WCM....Faulty sensors, or any host of electrical issues in ...For instance "Keyless entry"..can be at fault.....This CANNOT be effectively troubleshooted at home.....MAke an appointment at your local dealership.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:54 AM
Unhappy TPMS Retrain Precedure question

Originally Posted by Djinn-n-Tonic
. . . TPMS system is not a standalone, it works in conjunction with WCM . . . .
OK - thanks. Now another dumb question - what is the "WCM"?

The dealer wants $98 to diagnose why I'm getting the STSS message, so hopefully you can imagine why I'm reluctant to go down that path unless I have to . . .

Old 01-05-2011, 09:23 AM
Default Here's what i have learned about early build '04 PAC TPMS

First thing to do is look at your VIN.
If the VIN is 4R499999 or higher, you have the newer TPMS system that is SKREEM-based and the following information does not apply.

If your VIN is lower than 4R499999 - mine is 4R286583 - you have the older system that is WCM (wireless control module) based so keep on reading.

The sensor is part number 5288990AC or Standard Motor Products TPM59
OE manufactured by Schrader, 433MHZ, FCC ID# MRXTG224AM02.

Sensor price varies widely. I have bought new senors for as little as $8 + shipping on eBay.
Typical price is $40+ new, $25+ used.

When a sensor is replaced the system is retrained with a magnet:
Key in ignition, turn to ON position.
Press the STEP button on the EVIC twice(?) until RETRAIN TIRE SENSORS? is displayed.
Press the RESET button.
EVIC will display TRAIN LF SENSOR.
Place a small magnet close to the base of the valve stem on the LF wheel - a washer-shaped magnet from a magnetic hook is perfect but any magnet will do.
Wait until the horn chirps to indicate that the sensor has been read - it can take 15 or 20 seconds for the confirmation so be patient.
EVIC will display TRAIN RF SENSOR
repeat process at RF wheel
EVIC will display TRAIN RR SENSOR
do it again
EVIC will display TRAIN LR SENSOR
do it again.
EVIC will display TRAINING COMPLETE

I assume you are going through all this in an attempt to rid yourself of the dreaded SERVICE TIRE SYSTEM SOON message (typically displayed when a sensor is bad) without spending an $89 diagnostic fee at the dealer only to be told that you need to replace a sensor for $100 plus the dismount/remount/rebalance charge.

Try this:
Buy a replacement sensor, either new or used - we can use it as a diagnostic aid to determine which sensor is bad, then have it installed.

Simply place your 'new' sensor on the ground next to the LF wheel (or you can sit it on top of the tire - does not matter).
Key ON
Initiate the retrain procedure as described above.
When the EVIC displays TRAIN LF SENSOR - use your magnet to train the new sensor.
When the horn chirps continue in the normal fashion.
If after all four sensors are trained, the EVIC displays 1 TIRE LOW PRESSURE- you have determined that it was the LF sensor that was causing SERVICE TIRE SYSTEM SOON.

Take the LF wheel to a tire shop and have them install the new sensor - cost will be about $25 for the dismount/remount/rebalance.

If the EVIC still displays SERVICE TIRE SYSTEM SOON, take your new sensor and move it to the RF wheel.

Enter training mode again, this time when the EVIC displays TRAIN RF SENSOR, train your new one.

You get the idea by now. Move the new sensor to each of the positions until the EVIC displays 1 TIRE LOW PRESSURE and have the sensor installed at that position.

The process only takes a couple of minutes - longer to describe than to perform.

happy troubleshooting!

Last edited by goldsmi; 01-05-2011 at 07:25 PM.

Quick Reply: 04 Pacifica TPMS