Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

05 Burning oil, lots of oil

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 01:03 PM
Default RE: 05 Burning oil, lots of oil

I have an 04 Pacifica w/ this same problem - I nearly freaked the first time when there was no oil on the dipstick as well.... Mine was under warranty also, the dealer said it was a PCV (Positive CrankCase Ventilation) just as the previous poster mentioned. Anyway, it did not burn oil (or much) for say 5 to 8k miles after that. After that I had to replace the PCV valve again.

The good news is that a PCV valve is cheap at your local autoparts store and they're easy to put in yourself. The bad news is that Chrysler puts this type of quality on the road -and people like us need to check the oil every 2 weeks to make sure we don't get stuck.

Old 11-21-2008, 03:29 PM

ORIGINAL: rbar123

I have an 04 Pacifica w/ this same problem - I nearly freaked the first time when there was no oil on the dipstick as well.... Mine was under warranty also, the dealer said it was a PCV (Positive CrankCase Ventilation) just as the previous poster mentioned. Anyway, it did not burn oil (or much) for say 5 to 8k miles after that. After that I had to replace the PCV valve again.

The good news is that a PCV valve is cheap at your local autoparts store and they're easy to put in yourself. The bad news is that Chrysler puts this type of quality on the road -and people like us need to check the oil every 2 weeks to make sure we don't get stuck.
THanks for the info, where is this part located?

Old 11-23-2008, 08:31 PM

My 2004 Pacifica has this problem too. I checked for leaks and didn't find anything. Part of the problem I think was thatI used 5w-30. I'm gonna try changing the PCV and use a heavier weight oil like 10w-40.

Old 11-23-2008, 10:06 PM

I would recommend using whatever weight oil is recommended by Chrysler. They pick those numbers for a reason, you know.

Old 11-25-2008, 09:29 PM

rollingrock

Just curious, what engine is in your '05, the 3.8? I had an '01 caravan with the 3.8 and traded it in on the Pac with 60000 on it & it never burned a drop of oil. It used 5w30. Sorry to hear about yours.

Old 11-26-2008, 08:06 AM

10w-30 is recommended for the 3.5 liter. I still don't understand how a PCV valve can cause oil loss without it leaking. The PCV is supposed to let air in and recirculate the fumes so they can be burned, lowering the exhaust pollution.

Old 11-26-2008, 12:04 PM

The PCV valve is located on top of the rear valve cover. Its pretty simple to see and remove/replace. I've even cleaned it w/ carb cleaner by pulling it out and flushing it. As far as why it's the problem, I'm not a mechanic but I know it pulls air from inside the motor and burns it thru the intake. Perhaps that air contains too much vaporized oil thus burning that oil and reducing the oil level.

There's a check valve in the PCV valve that should close it when the motor has higher vacume such as decelleration or high rev. If that check ball gets sticky from oil the valve will remain open, pulling oil into the intake manifold. Even with this in mind, when I remove the PCV in my car and shake it I can hear it rattle, meaning the ball is not stuck...go figure. But I do know when I replace the PCV valve it stops burning oil... for a few thousand miles, until the problem starts again, and I replace it again.

In your case, the valve is only a few bucks - I would try replacing it and see what happens.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:41 PM

Quick update. We started the oil consumption test with the dealer. Went 695 miles and then back to the dealer to check the status of the test. The car had burned 1 qt of oil....they said..."its normal" I asked about the PCV, he said, they wouldn't check it or replace it. The guy I had started with is no longer with the company, he was there about 2 months. Go figure...so I had to start over with a new tech.

The next day we traded the car (at a loss) and got an 08 Expedition.

Cheers

RR

Old 12-17-2008, 09:24 PM

I am new to this site. My wife's 06 Pacifica has the same condition. I purchased it NOV 2005 and is now over 3 years and 44k miles. It burns about 1.5 qts of oil every other week. The problem is that the warranty is expired. My wife drives it under "Normal Conditions" I seriously dont think the PCV cures anyone's problems if your still checking or adding oil every 2 weeks. I have read many other posts.

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/dir...ew/.f12caf4/19

This is a major flaw that Chrysler will not want to pay for, especially in the current economy. Who knows Chrysler may even fold if they don't get a federal bail out, Again. The last one was for 1.5 Billion in 1979. I'm sure they'll ask for 20 times that amount this time.

My only alternative is to trade this car in and make it someone else's problem. What a shame! Chrysler only offered me $8,000.00 because of a flaw in the engine. Chrysler's own salesmen know about it, but when you walk 100 ft over to the Maintenance dept, they are clueless. "It's Normal"

Good luck to you all.
Chrysler left a bad taste in my mouth. Never more![:@]

Old 12-18-2008, 08:04 AM

ORIGINAL: ozzieg76

I am new to this site. My wife's 06 Pacifica has the same condition. I purchased it NOV 2005 and is now over 3 years and 44k miles. It burns about 1.5 qts of oil every other week. The problem is that the warranty is expired. My wife drives it under "Normal Conditions" I seriously dont think the PCV cures anyone's problems if your still checking or adding oil every 2 weeks. I have read many other posts.

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/dir...ew/.f12caf4/19

This is a major flaw that Chrysler will not want to pay for, especially in the current economy. Who knows Chrysler may even fold if they don't get a federal bail out, Again. The last one was for 1.5 Billion in 1979. I'm sure they'll ask for 20 times that amount this time.

My only alternative is to trade this car in and make it someone else's problem. What a shame! Chrysler only offered me $8,000.00 because of a flaw in the engine. Chrysler's own salesmen know about it, but when you walk 100 ft over to the Maintenance dept, they are clueless. "It's Normal"

Good luck to you all.
Chrysler left a bad taste in my mouth. Never more![:@]
we are enjoying our new SUV...BTW, I only was offered 8K for our Pacifica at trade, but they did end up giving me 9500 well at least on paper

I doubt we ever buy another Chrysler product.

Quick Reply: 05 Burning oil, lots of oil