Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

06 Pac blown engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 04:04 PM
Default 06 Pac blown engine swap

New thread member here. I am hoping that someone here can help me answer this question.

My 06 pac has a blown engine. Looks like a rod went through the back of the block, but not certain.

I tend to do a lot of my own work, so an engine swap doesnt bother me.

The problem: I cannot find a single write up, procedure or even engine cross reference data on what vehicle makes/models I can pull an engine from.

My Pac has the 3.5L and its a FWD. What other FWD cars used the same engine/transmission combo that I can potentially pull an engine from. A junk yard told me only the 05/06 Pacs will work, but I find this hard to believe. The 3.5 has been around for 20 years.

What transmission is in this car? Whats the bell housing bolt pattern?

I am going to drop the engine from the rear. I have access to a lift that will let me lift the car off of the front suspension/engine sub assembly and get to the engine from underneath.

Any help is appreciated. If it matters, I still owe about 6500 on this car and I dont have 3500 for a remanufactured motor. I am trying to pull one out of a junk yard, do a top end rebuild and get it back on the road.

Thank you

Old 07-02-2014, 07:56 AM
Super Moderator

buy a service manual

Old 07-02-2014, 12:49 PM

go to car-parts.com and look up a junkyard engine. Sometimes it will tell you what kind of car it comes out of. I have done that or do what Chrysler tech said.

Old 07-03-2014, 06:22 AM

Chrysler Tech, neither Haynes nor Chilton have written manuals for this car yet. I did check before I posted here.

Shep, I checked there too. The auto recyclers computer system says only from another 05/06 Pac, and that makes no sense. I've got more information now but I have to post it later.

Old 07-03-2014, 07:11 AM

Alright, so I did a lot of calling around and the auto recyclers (places affiliated with www.car-parts.com) and the auto part stores all say that the only engine I can get comes from an 05/06 Pac. This didnt make a lot of sense to me so I started looking at why this would be the case and why it would be the case. I still dont believe that it is.

The first thought I had was the input shaft maybe being different. Turns out this car has the 41TE transmission. This transmission has been around since like 1995 and like the 3.5L has only gone through some minor changes.

Several cars came with this transmission and different ones came with this same motor. I feel confident that I could pull an engine from somewhere and only need to acquire a very few parts from other cars.

The crankshaft used was used in 70+ other engines, all 3.5s from 2004 and up in both Dodge and Chrysler model vehicles. This basically rules out anything specific between the transmission and engine. So im thinking any engine out of those vehicles (I used the compatibility listing on Orielly's site to determine this) should work.

Sensors are an obvious, but it would make sense that the sensors would have also been used interchangeably across different make/model years. My research here is going to be whether a sensor was added or moved over the 20 years or so this engine has been used.

The oil pan looks like a specific Pac oil pan. This is common for decades, where the same engine is used but a new oil pan is required due to ground clearance, steering, suspension or some other thing that makes it necessary to have a seperate oil pan. Unfortunately it looks like new oil pans for this car are still only sold by Dodge/Chrysler.

Depending on the mileage of whatever donor engine I get, I might do a full rebuild or just a top end rebuild. I've been wanting to do another engine build, so this might just be the time to do it.

There is one question I still havent gotten anywhere on. Since there is not a book that I can find (Chilton/Haynes havent published one yet), how do I get the engine out exactly. Im told drop the front suspension/sub-assembly out of the car and lift the car up off the suspension. Any new data here would be helpful.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:31 AM

"Chrysler Tech, neither Haynes nor Chilton have written manuals for this car yet. I did check before I posted here."

A factory shop manual will detail engine removal procedures. You might get lucky and find one on eBay. It won't help with your compatibility questions but if you can also find one for the donor vehicle, you might be able to figure out the differences.

When you get the engine from the donor vehicle, get the computer and wiring as well. You might need some of that stuff.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator
Old 07-03-2014, 05:00 PM

Chrysler Tech, this is awesome! Exactly what I was looking for. I did find an electronic copy of the service manual on ebay. I am waiting for the delivery now.

Thank you!

Old 07-03-2014, 11:00 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome